What's new

Soap/Cream recommendations that wow!

My last purchase was in bulk from Turkey via AliExpress. They cost me under use USD 2 each including shipping. One arko stick lasts me about 150 to 200 shaves.

Perhaps someone living nearer to you could PIF you an ARKO stick to try.
Do you prefer the sticks over the bowl? I suspect you do. Do you know of any difference between the two form factors?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Do you prefer the sticks over the bowl? I suspect you do. Do you know of any difference between the two form factors?
I have very little experience in bowl lathering. My personal preference is to face lather with either stick soap or cream. This is what I have done all my life.

I apply the stick soap to my previously washed wet face and then lather on my face with a damp brush. For cream, I apply it directly to a damp brush and then lather on my face.

Perhaps others who are more familiar with bowl latheringwwill chime in.

You can fairly easily convert a stick into a puck by pressing it into an empty container. The Arko bowl is more of a convenience for those that don't use sticks. There might be a slight difference in moisture content between the stick and the bowl. The soap seems essentially the same.

I have very little experience in bowl lathering. My personal preference is to face lather with either stick soap or cream. This is what I have done all my life.

I apply the stick soap to my previously washed wet face and then lather on my face with a damp brush. For cream, I apply it directly to a damp brush and then lather on my face.

Perhaps others who are more familiar with bowl latheringwwill chime in.
When I use sticks I also rub them on my soap grater, I mean face stubble, then lather with a brush. With creams I also smear some on my face then just swirl away. I'm most experienced with bowl lathering. Thanks for your thoughts though.

You can fairly easily convert a stick into a puck by pressing it into an empty container. The Arko bowl is more of a convenience for those that don't use sticks. There might be a slight difference in moisture content between the stick and the bowl. The soap seems essentially the same.
Cool. Thank you for that info. I'll keep this in mind when deciding which form to pick up.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hi everyone. Please forgive me if this post is in the wrong place. I'm creating this post in the hopes that I can get some really good, quality recommendations for either shaving soaps or creams that have really impressed you. Ones that have really stood out to you and that are currently available. What I'm looking for are recommendations based on actual use and not just hearsay. The more experience you have wet shaving the better.

So, my story goes that I'm at the end of my current shave soap and am in desperate need of a replacement. Don't ask me what my current one is because I honestly don't remember. I know its English and was a puck. Its lasted me for 7 / 8 years, so that plus my poor short term (and apparently long term) memory has made it so that I don't recall exactly

I'd say that my preference is on the soap side but do like and am open to creams. With that said about all my exposure to creams has been with Proraso Red (sandalwood) and Green (eucalyptus). My soap rotation was rather small as well. I occasionally use a Geo. F. Trumper
Eucris puck and a Palmolive stick from Germany I believe. It says "stiftung warentest" on it.

What I'd like to try is something new to me that will not only wow me but also my lady. She isn't really a fan of my Eucris soap scent but did give me a wow when I used my Proraso Red the other day, which was the first time I used it in a while. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I can recommend 3 different brands that I have tried, that I feel are highest performing...

(1) Tabac Original with Tallow, hands down, top performance soap on the market!

(2) Captains Choice Shave Soaps!

(3) Stirling Shave Soaps!

Proraso I find to just be average when it comes to performance, it works, but I don't consider it high performance at all. Its pretty hard to beat soaps that have Talow and Lanolin in them!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I definitely recommend MdC, I have the Original and though it appears expensive at first it lasts an incredibly long time compared to others and comes in a 200g jar. My current favourite is Saponificio Varesino, the scents are amazing and performance is second to none.

Martin de Candre ;)

I'd love to try the Fougere (Fern) one but is a bit pricey and sold out at a popular source. I'll keep an eye out for this one and pull the trigger on it when I can.
Myself and many others highly recommend Stirling Varen. Great performance and bold fougere scent that lingers all day. I have the soap and after shave balm, I like them so much I plan to get the entire lineup of Varen products.

Some great suggestions above!

Here is my current ‘rotation’ (and I would not keep a soap that does not perform):
Haslinger (I use and enjoy all eight of their options)
Cella
PdP #63
Sterling

I also use a few options that are no longer in production, so will omit those.

Check out Pre de Provence #63 soap and St. James of London Sandalwood and Bergamot cream. Both are amazing and smell great. Matching AS, colognes and bath soaps are also good.

And they are widely available and inexpensive. Even on Amazon.
PDP 63 - fantastic scent and an excellent performer!

I can recommend 3 different brands that I have tried, that I feel are highest performing...

(1) Tabac Original with Tallow, hands down, top performance soap on the market!

(2) Captains Choice Shave Soaps!

(3) Stirling Shave Soaps!

Proraso I find to just be average when it comes to performance, it works, but I don't consider it high performance at all. Its pretty hard to beat soaps that have Talow and Lanolin in them!
Thanks for your recommendations. I've looked into them all but have a few questions?

With Tabac, do you prefer the cream, stick or puck?

What fragrances have you used and which do you prefer with the offerings Captain's Choice line of soaps? Most are obvious but I'm very curious about 45th, Nor'Easter and Venture

I'm very interested and impressed by the Stirling soap brand but am very overwhelmed with the number of choices they offer. I mean they offer something like 80 different scents! I could go the 5 sample route but do you have an input you can share with me on this?

Myself and many others highly recommend Stirling Varen. Great performance and bold fougere scent that lingers all day. I have the soap and after shave balm, I like them so much I plan to get the entire lineup of Varen products.
Thanks for this recommendation. I might go with their 5 sample option. If I do, I'll be sure to add this one.

Some great suggestions above!

Here is my current ‘rotation’ (and I would not keep a soap that does not perform):
Haslinger (I use and enjoy all eight of their options)
Cella
PdP #63
Sterling

I also use a few options that are no longer in production, so will omit those.
I just looked into Haslinger and find them interesting. Of the eight, which is your true favorite? Am I correct that some of their soaps used to contain tallow but now none of them do?

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have nine soaps and creams in my current rotation, and to me they are all excellent+. But the one that really met the “wow” test the first time, and continues to do so is Castle Forbes Shaving Cream Line Essential Oil. I did not expect to like lime, but tried it based on reviews. The scent is intense, in a great way. The scent, appearance, lathering, packaging, “face feel”, and after shaving effect on the skin are the “wow-iest” for me.

My favorite is Grooming Department the ones using Lamb Tallow & Emu Oil as a base, he releases a few about every couple of months and they are gone within 2 weeks at the most.

Doug
Someone else also recommend this brand. I looked into them, and it looks like they're very popular. Considering their a small-batch operation, I'll consider myself lucky if I can score one or more of their options. I'm definitely going to keep my on their site and at least try to score some at some point. With this said they do currently have one option available named Laundry II. I'm just not sure that's the one I want to jump in with first.

Thanks for the recommendation.

PDP 63 - fantastic scent and an excellent performer!
Yeah, thank you for this. Others think highly of this one as well as it's been recommended a few times.

I've actually gone ahead and bought a puck of this and should have it by tomorrow. I'm looking forward to using this next shave.

If you go to Stirling's website, tap 'shave soap' and 'refine by' you'll be able to narrow down by scent. His scent notes can sometimes get up into a dozen or so, but there is also a feature at the bottom of many pages that lists fragrance/ essential oils soaps. Essentials might help with sensitivity problems.

Top Bottom