What's new

Looking for a razor similar to Rockwell 6c (plate 4) that covers blade tabs

Greetings! So after months of experimenting and acquiring more razors (as well as blades, brushes, etc.), I have come to a conclusion that nothing shaves better (for me) than a Rockwell 6c with plate 4. It's just... effortless. I don't have to think about angles, amount of applied pressure, or any other bollocks. I don't know whether it's the geometry of the head or something else but it consistently delivers the best shaves without putting much (or any) thought into it. So why all the fuss, you ask? Well, I would happily call it my "Holy Grail" razor except that I'm not too fond of its aesthetics. In fact, I absolutely HATE it that the blade tabs are not fully covered. It makes it (or any other razor for that matter) look cheap, IMHO. So I'm sort of on a quest to find another razor that is similar to Rockwell 6c (4) in terms of shaving comfort, efficiency, etc. but that covers blade tabs (I almost pulled a trigger on the Timeless .68 not too long ago only to realize that it does not adhere to this requirement). My personal preference is polished stainless steel (don't care for aluminum, brass, or matte finish). Budget... let's say $300. Many thanks in advance. P.S. I know Rockwell T2 is not SS but would be interested in opinions on how it compares to 6C/S.

NOTE: I have tried RR GC .84-P but it was a bit much for me. I had to be very careful with it or else I'd get nicked. Same goes for Alpha Outlaw with an M plate. Beautiful looking razor (especially given the price point) but it left my skin irritated and with multiple nicks every time I used it. I have GC .68-P head on order and arriving soon as I'm curious whether that'll be closer to my liking. Also, I picked up G&F Timor Gentle Shaver, and I have to say that even though it's on the cheap side and I don't care for the original handle (too light, short, and skinny so I swapped it with one from RR MJ-90A which I don't use due to its harshness), it actually looks nice and gives me a decent shave, albeit not as smooth and efficient as 6C.

Yates Precision with the M plate.
Similar to plate 4 but overall the Yates is far superior, with covered blade tabs.
You're not the first one to recommend Yates, nav. And I probably would've bought one already if it wasn't for the fact that their polished version has been sold out for months (I keep checking every now and then), and I don't care for the other ones. Thanks though!

Reactions: nav
You're not the first one to recommend Yates, nav. And I probably would've bought one already if it wasn't for the fact that their polished version has been sold out for months (I keep checking every now and then), and I don't care for the other ones. Thanks though!

Their machined finish would be somewhat shiny, as is the machined finish from other razor makers.

I feel ya.
I too prefer the tabs on a blade to be covered. I have so many razors, but I bet only 3 cover the blade completely. It's not like I'm going to cut myself on the ends of a blade but fully covered just seems right to me. Good luck with your search.

@Upstate Gooner, have you found one? Have you ordered it? And now the big question, what razor?
Not yet. Still looking. The only other razor that gives me consistently good shaves is RR German 37 slant. It's not my daily driver but amazing really how it just plows through if I skip a day or two. Very smooth and efficient but it is one ugly **** 😁. I just received GC .68 plate but haven't tried it yet. I think I might give ATT Windsor a shot next. And I'm on the lookout for polished version of Yates.

Why not cut the blade tabs with scissors, is quite easy to do. Problem solved, but it makes cleaning/wiping the blade less easy because removing the blade without tabs can be difficult.

I went through this about six months ago. I alternate now between ATT Windsor, Yates, and Karve Chris Bradley. All 3 are nice, and I think my favorite is the ATT for now.
I think that's gonna be my next razor. ATT that is. Karve just doesn't look all that visually appealing to me but polished Yates is another one I want to try. Thanks!

Why not cut the blade tabs with scissors, is quite easy to do. Problem solved, but it makes cleaning/wiping the blade less easy because removing the blade without tabs can be difficult.
I thought about it but it's a bit of a hassle. Plus, I think when you're paying $100+ for a razor, it should tick all of the boxes. In addition to performance, I want my razor look and feel good.

I think that's gonna be my next razor. ATT that is. Karve just doesn't look all that visually appealing to me but polished Yates is another one I want to try. Thanks!
Try the Windsor Pro from their Ugly Section - huge savings on the SB90 head - I couldn’t locate anything imperfect about mine.

Im interested to read about your experience with the GC 68

Edit
I just checked mine, the Windsor Pro covers the tabs completely

Last edited:
NOTE: I have tried RR GC .84-P but it was a bit much for me. I had to be very careful with it or else I'd get nicked. Same goes for Alpha Outlaw with an M plate. Beautiful looking razor (especially given the price point) but it left my skin irritated and with multiple nicks every time I used it. I have GC .68-P head on order and arriving soon as I'm curious whether that'll be closer to my liking.

Hi Upstate Gooner, I used the R4 and R5 Rockwell plates for about 18 months, found them ideal, and bought the GC.68P because R5 is a 0.69mm gap.

It felt like an R4 to me. I think you will love it, because it has covered tabs, but also a thin agile head that gets into awkward under-nose hairs better than the bulky Rockwell.

I fitted a shorter, lighter handle, as the long heavy RR default (Bulldog) threw away half their agility advantage.

Like you, I found the GC.84P a bit much when I got it. Fine WTG, but a bit scary for ATG and neck shaving.

After using my GC.68P for several months, liking it, and getting Game Changer muscle memory established, I revisited the shunned GC.84P, it didn't seem so bad, and after a week or two, it "magically" became completely docile and efficient, and it is now my favourite razor.

...so don't be hasty to sell or trade your .84P plate. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom