What's new

Boar recommendations...

Okay, I've made my life-changing, $12 decision. This one:

(10290)

41tspGZf+hL.jpg

(Amazon pic credit)

I've had the 1305 in my shopping cart at that huge on-line seller for a while - so that was one of my very first choices, but never pulled the trigger on it.

And I used to live close to Maggards. I'm still in Michigan, but nearly 200 miles away. I'd love to go there and be able to see the brushes and talk to those folks but I'm also afraid of all the stuff I would impulsively buy. 😄
Very cool!
My family took a summer trip to Michigan a few years back and I made Maggard's one of the places to visit.That was a fun store! Brad was very helpful and even through in some freebies from their last shave conference into my bag when I was checking out.

BTW, a plastic ring cracking in an Omega brush is usually just a cosmetic flaw. Not a big tragedy on such an inexpensive brush.
I think what Brad meant was the knot in the brushes with the metal rings would last longer than the knot in the brushes with the plastic rings in general. I have not used Omega brushes so I have no personal experience with them.

I think what Brad meant was the knot in the brushes with the metal rings would last longer than the knot in the brushes with the plastic rings in general. I have not used Omega brushes so I have no personal experience with them.
I ended up ordering the Omega for a total of 15 bucks from Maggard. I won't be thrilled if the ring breaks, but it's a cheap brush with a decent reputaion so little risk.

Very cool!
My family took a summer trip to Michigan a few years back and I made Maggard's one of the places to visit.That was a fun store! Brad was very helpful and even through in some freebies from their last shave conference into my bag when I was checking out.
You can bet that I will be going there at some point. It'll be like visiting Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.

I'm primarily a bowl-lather guy, and have used synthetic (Plissoft) brushes, and a really inexpensive Amazon badger brush. I'd love to add a boar to the den, and would want to get one brush that is suitable for bowl or face lathering, if possible. I don't want a huge brush, and was thinking 24mm max, unless there is a solid reason to consider something bigger.

I've seen Omega brushes selling for under 20 bucks, but having a hard time figuring out the differences between the many choices.

Any suggestions for my first boar purchase?

(Thanks)
Semogue Owners Club boar has been great for me and I use it every shave lately. The version I bought is not in the price range you mentioned but I so liked the handle that I just had to have it. Works perfectly for me bowl lathering. Good luck finding yours!

1651667908914.png

I own 2 Omega's, both cheaper than €10,- A smaller 10019 and a bigger 10049. The first one may be a bit small if you have deep containers for your soap. The 10049 seems big for face lathering, but I think it is just fine. Both have been used every other day for the past 1.5 years.... just perfect (for me).

I ended up ordering the Omega for a total of 15 bucks from Maggard. I won't be thrilled if the ring breaks, but it's a cheap brush with a decent reputaion so little risk.
Nice choice. Don’t be fooled by the low price, omega boar brushes are great.

One of my favourite brushes is my Proraso boar (made by omega) and it cost less than £10.

It has a great knot that gets better and better with every shave!

This could be a great opportunity to transplant the great Omega knot to a nicer, solid resin handle, like one from @apshaveco !
I've transplanted a few Omega boar knots. The ones with the black ring around the base of the knot are actually a little black cup that the knot is glued into. I've broken up the handles and used the cup. I've also broken off the cup and just used the knot. Depending on what the need was. It's not too hard to do if you use a vise, hammer, and chisel. Just don't think you're going to save the handle too.

I enjoy Omega brushes. Just not the big ones as they are floppy. 24 - 25mm is just about right for Boar.

Nice choice. Don’t be fooled by the low price, omega boar brushes are great.

One of my favourite brushes is my Proraso boar (made by omega) and it cost less than £10.

It has a great knot that gets better and better with every shave!
Thanks.

I sometimes use the word "cheap" interchangeably with "inexpensive". I'm happy to hear that the brush I chose is a decent "inexpensive" performer. Love getting a good value.

I've transplanted a few Omega boar knots. The ones with the black ring around the base of the knot are actually a little black cup that the knot is glued into. I've broken up the handles and used the cup. I've also broken off the cup and just used the knot. Depending on what the need was. It's not too hard to do if you use a vise, hammer, and chisel. Just don't think you're going to save the handle too.
I've found at least on some of my Omegas, the knot and cup can be carefully removed from the handle without breaking anything. Very gentle, but determined tugging and you can have the knot and the cup in one hand and an empty handle in the other.
I enjoy Omega brushes. Just not the big ones as they are floppy. 24 - 25mm is just about right for Boar.
You might like model 10108. It has not been out all that long. It has a shorter loft, about 27mm/56mm. A real bargain, too.

I've found at least on some of my Omegas, the knot and cup can be carefully removed from the handle without breaking anything. Very gentle, but determined tugging and you can have the knot and the cup in one hand and an empty handle in the other.

You might like model 10108. It has not been out all that long. It has a shorter loft, about 27mm/56mm. A real bargain, too.
Thanks. A new brush? I just order it. Why not. For that price it's hard not to buy a new brush. I can always use a new brush...

Vintage Shave Brushes.jpg

Thanks for pointing it out to me.
I ordered the red-handled one from Pasteur's for under 9 bucks shipped!
:)

Thanks. A new brush? I just order it. Why not. For that price it's hard not to buy a new brush. I can always use a new brush...

View attachment 1450235
Thanks for pointing it out to me.
I ordered the red-handled one from Pasteur's for under 9 bucks shipped!
:)
The 10108 is one where the knot is easy to take out and put back in. I added a bit of weight inside the hollow handle (roll of 6 nickel coins lightly glued in) which was a nice improvement.

Zenith boar has been great for me and I use it every shave lately. The version I bought is not in the price range you mentioned but I so liked the handle that I just had to have it. Works perfectly for me bowl lathering. Good luck finding yours!

View attachment 1450183
Sorry about that. I must have got my wires crossed. Zenith boar not SOC. :c9:

Top Bottom