What's new

My DE razor got louder, not in a good way...

I have a rotation of eight or so razors, some vintage and some modern. I also have some lone handles that I swap in and out for variety, so there are a lot of moving parts.

Last week I grabbed a modern day, highly regarded razor and started my shave. At the end of the first pass I think to myself, "Hmph, it has been a while but it seems louder than usual..." I get done with the second pass and realize my face - well, it felt like it had been abraded. Did I stop? Of course not. I start in on the third pass and then it occurred to me, "Something is just not right." So I take a closer look at the razor and...

I tightened the loose handle so it was snug.

Let's just say I did not apply Cat O' Nine Tails that morning! :bayrum2:

And yes, The Captain was going through some shave balm for the next few days. GOODNESS!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a rotation of eight or so razors, some vintage and some modern. I also have some lone handles that I swap in and out for variety, so there are a lot of moving parts.

Last week I grabbed a modern day, highly regarded razor and started my shave. At the end of the first pass I think to myself, "Hmph, it has been a while but it seems louder than usual..." I get done with the second pass and realize my face - well, it felt like it had been abraded. Did I stop? Of course not. I start in on the third pass and then it occurred to me, "Something is just not right." So I take a closer look at the razor and...

And yes, The Captain was going through some shave balm for the next few days. GOODNESS!
Not all razors can take them but the little nylon M5 washers keep things snug without over tightening. Just a thought.

It may be overkill, but I apply some splash before applying balm. Doing so has eliminated any irritation (including some intentionally caused by me to test aftershaves) I've suffered.

Incidentally, your Land Ho splash and balm are top notch! They soothed and eased any irritation I've encountered just as well as (if not better than) any other splash and balm I've tried.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

Hello Scott, its great to see you! I know your often filling aftershave bottles, and processing orders and stuff, but always appreciate seeing your shaving journey posts. As I was reading this, I thought, ohhhhh nooooo, I hope he didn't cut up his face! Thank goodness you didn't though, and I totally understand you not wanting to throw on the aftershave after that, cause we both know how thats gonna go, BURN! HAHA!

Lose handle ha? So thats what caused all of that. See, thats why I I make sure my handle is tight, I don't go incredible hulk on it no, but I do make sure its 2 fingers and a thumb tight. A lose blade is a dangerous thing to happen in your shave. Looks like the Captain just learned a lesson. And yes, I wouldn't blame you for using a good amount of balm, you needed it!

BTW, let me take this opportunity while I am here to tell you, that I absolutely love your Italia aftershave, and your Italia shave soap, I am so pleased with the performance of both products, plus their scents, you did a terrific job. And yes, I enjoy the testing sample 5919, just gimme more mint please hehe.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Yikes! I've had a similar experience, wondering why a particular razor just wasn't providing as comfortable a shave as I was used to from it. Turned out...the new handle I was trying on it wasn't allowing it to tighten completely. Needless to say, when I found that out, I never used that handle on that razor again.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yikes! I've had a similar experience, wondering why a particular razor just wasn't providing as comfortable a shave as I was used to from it. Turned out...the new handle I was trying on it wasn't allowing it to tighten completely. Needless to say, when I found that out, I never used that handle on that razor again.
You reminded me of my last "loose handled" shave! Luckily for me it was a 1962 Tech, and the problem was a minor one that was quickly and easily solved.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
You reminded me of my last "loose handled" shave! Luckily for me it was a 1962 Tech, and the problem was a minor one that was quickly and easily solved.

In this case it was the base of the handle was just a tad too large/thick for the underside ring of the bottom plate of the razor and it was physically incapable of seating against it flush.

FarmerTan

In this case it was the base of the handle was just a tad too large/thick for the underside ring of the bottom plate of the razor and it was physically incapable of seating against it flush.
I have only had that happen once.... I think it was trying to use an Old Type with a New combination of some kind. It was a while ago...

Great lesson!!

(Especially as I have done the same thing. :mad2::mad2::mad2:)

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Happened to me with the Wunderbar. If you tighten this one with a blade that has some glue (Nacet e.g.) loaded and leave it for a while, you might have trouble unscrewing it, so I didn't fully tighten it.

Was a more aggressive version for sure. Noticed that halfway through the shave. :cool:

This week I've been using some razors that are supposed to be loosened a bit, the Eclipse Red Ring and the Phoenix Artisans Ascension. I do keep a close eye on how loose they are, though. The Eclipse has handy arrows and hash marks to line up.

FarmerTan

This week I've been using some razors that are supposed to be loosened a bit, the Eclipse Red Ring and the Phoenix Artisans Ascension. I do keep a close eye on how loose they are, though. The Eclipse has handy arrows and hash marks to line up.
I didn't know this! Thanks for the revelation my friend.

Top Bottom