What's new

I Just Ordered A Bunch Of Shaving Supplies - Opinions?

A combination of low cost and good performance. I guess the polarizing scent has something to do with it too.

I'm not an Arko fanatic though.
I've read more about Arko here (good & bad) than any other soap. I haven't tried it because of that polarizing scent that everyone talks about. I really want to try Cella which also seems to be a relatively cheap and good performing soap. And it seems that nobody complains about that scent. The only reason I haven't bought it is because I'm waiting for a tub of Razorock Italian classic which is supposed to be comparable to Cella. The Razorock sale price was a no brainer!

Last edited:
I really want to try Cella which also seems to be a relatively cheap and good performing soap. And it seems that nobody complains about that scent.
The red Cella is a really nice soap, easy to lather, fine on the skin and the almond/marzipan smell is awesome.
It's a great soap considering the price.
But since you mentioned "cheap"... :)
For an even more affordable experience the TFS (TCHEON FUNG SING) original soap out of Italy like Cella, with a great history going back to 1945, is more or less a very similar scent experience and a really solid performer too. And for a fraction of the price, paid less than 2 Eur for a puck of maybe 125ml or so buying from Italy, the Cella is more than 4x the price.
I like them both very much and will keep restocking once they run dry...

The red Cella is a really nice soap, easy to lather, fine on the skin and the almond/marzipan smell is awesome.
It's a great soap considering the price.
But since you mentioned "cheap"... :)
For an even more affordable experience the TFS (TCHEON FUNG SING) original soap out of Italy like Cella, with a great history going back to 1945, is more or less a very similar scent experience and a really solid performer too. And for a fraction of the price, paid less than 2 Eur for a puck of maybe 125ml or so buying from Italy, the Cella is more than 4x the price.
I like them both very much and will keep restocking once they run dry...
Cool to know! Thanks!
I just looked them up and they sell here in the US for like $5. I might have to put that one on my list of "Cheap good soaps".

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
proxy.php

Quick update, I tried out Catie's Bubbles today, the one in the photo, and I was right. Once that soap was bloomed and wet, and whipped up into a lather in the bowl, it smelled amazing. Performance wise, its not as slick as Tabac, but it performs well. Todays shave was how I started my day off right. My day always goes better after a good DE shave. And today also marked a momentous event, I took my first picture of soap lathered up in my Captains Choice Bowl!

Also, my Maseto shaving brush, the one I am sure all of you have forgotten about by now, it finally made it to America. When I saw no updates to tracking for 6-days, I was getting worried. But it finally updated, and its on its way to me woohoo. I can't wait to get my new brush!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Looking forward to getting that Timeless you promised to PIF to me. I’ve got a spot picked out for it already.

(you know I’m kidding….or am I?)
That Timeless is something else.... I am going to use it for a month straight and try to find something wrong with it.... It is truly an amazing looking sculpture.

Edit: I am REALLY going to have a hard time giving it away, just for it's beauty. But I must PIF it someday, or do a pass around. I OBVIOUSLY have an issue with hoarding, and greed... sinful attributes, right up there with pride, another weakness of mine.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

New shaving supplies came today from Captains Choice!

Italia Aftershave!
proxy.php

Italia Shave Soap!
proxy.php

I am also no longer going to struggle with trying to gather enough soap by swirling the brush, it takes forever, and its getting old quick. If you have a tiny brush, life is easy for you. But when using a big boy 30 knot extra dense silver tipped badger knot, its just ridiculous. I know I am not the only one who does this on here, so I decided to use a spoon to scoop out the soap, here it is...

proxy.php

I've had this spoon for many years, I believe these are called bouillon spoons? Anyways, this is the kind of spoon that many recommend to use if your going to spoon out some shave soap from the puk's. I saw one guy in particular on B&B recommending the importance of "Olive Garden" bouillon spoons. Ya, have you looked at the prices for a set of those spoons? No thank you!

Italia aftershave is absolutely wonderful as I've already said before. The Italia shave soap smells just like the aftershave, just without the huge burn. Its a nice smooth lather, I'd say its getting dangerously close to being equal to Tabac for performance! Or maybe it is the same, its really hard to say. But I can recommend it for sure.

I will be making a new order for Stirling soaps next this month, so be on the lookout for that. HEHE 😁

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Lovely brush! I see you got the Synbad brush in the Blue Lagoon handle, very nice! I am speaking with the vender from APshave, I am going to get them to make me a custom brush using a G5C 24mm knot in a Blue Lagoon handle. I really hope that you love your new brush, I expect a full report @TheBurgh :)

Stirling makes some good stuff. What do you think of the "Lemon Chill"?

Hello FarmerTan, always good to see you! This was my report on what I had just ordered, it hasn't even shipped yet I don't think lol. When it arrives, I will take pictures like I always do, and post them for your viewing pleasure. I try not to post direct links to online stores, as I don't want to spam, so I just post their stock photo's instead of what I bought lol.

I hope you are doing well @FarmerTan doing your acting roles in your brain, while simultaneously negotiating around the war department business. Honestly, I think you could get a job anywhere, all you gotta do is show off that handsome face with a smile, and it will open many doors for you hehe. 😁

I know it’s an older post, so by now you are up to your shoulders in soap if I am guessing correctly by your buying pattern 😁. Very nice collection. I have the entire Proraso Green line down to the lathering bowl. I really like everything about it. By the way the splash (at least the 400ml one) has witch Hazel in it as well so if you use Proraso Green you would be doubling down on the witch Hazel is combibed with Thayers.

And given your description I am now tempted to get the White as well. I like citrusy too. Been eyeing Sterling Lemon Chill as well but it was sound out in my regular shop.

I am now discovering The Alpha Men 2.0 which is has a similar scent to Executive Man and Aventus Creed. Lathering is easy and not easy. It lather up quite nicely and rich, but there is also soap residue left that did not get lathered. I will load the brush directly tomorrow and see what that brings (I usually use a spoon to scoop soap into my bowl).

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I know it’s an older post, so by now you are up to your shoulders in soap if I am guessing correctly by your buying pattern 😁. Very nice collection. I have the entire Proraso Green line down to the lathering bowl. I really like everything about it. By the way the splash (at least the 400ml one) has witch Hazel in it as well so if you use Proraso Green you would be doubling down on the witch Hazel is combibed with Thayers.

And given your description I am now tempted to get the White as well. I like citrusy too. Been eyeing Sterling Lemon Chill as well but it was sound out in my regular shop.

I am now discovering The Alpha Men 2.0 which is has a similar scent to Executive Man and Aventus Creed. Lathering is easy and not easy. It lather up quite nicely and rich, but there is also soap residue left that did not get lathered. I will load the brush directly tomorrow and see what that brings (I usually use a spoon to scoop soap into my bowl).

Actually, not as many as you'd think. I have a total of 8 shave soap puk's right now, and when the Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill gets here, that will make 9. I have 1 container of cream, because Scott sent me one from Captains Choice, but I did not order that. So, I haven't even broke an even 10 yet, and DiscoMike has me beat by miles lol. But yet, you got to witness the rabbit hole take me, what a wild ride.

Times are going to get rough next month for me, so I have a bad feeling I won't be able to order more soaps. I know, the horrors of it all! The inability to send more money flying into the rabbit hole? Oh my gosh! I will be melting, what a world, what a world! I'm just messing with ya HAHA, it won't be the end of the world. And honestly, might be good for me to take a month off.

I don't have a Prorasso aftershave splash, I have the aftershave balm, does the balm have witch hazel in it too? I am not buying anymore Proraso products for the foreseeable future. Just so you know, after getting some experience with the Proraso WHITE, it doesn't smell like citrus at all, smells like earth, you know dirt? You want citrus, get yourself some Stirling Lemon shave soap.

You just gotta decide weather or not you want the glacial version or the regular version. When I bought Stirling's Black Cherry shave soap, they sent me a bar soap sample of their Glacial Lemon Chill, and I have been using it, fell in love with it. This is how I know I already love the scent, and why I can recommend it to you, cause the shave soap will use the exact same scent.

The Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel Astringent is top shelf stuff! Its a liquid based product, comes in a 12 OZ bottle with red top, and that stuff feels really good going on the face and neck, doesn't sting at all! And while the lemon scent is a bit on the weak side, you can most certainly smell it, and it smells really good. But the scent only last a couple of minutes, which is good, cause it provides room for your aftershave applicaiton.

The next Stirling soaps that I want to purchase are Executive Man, and Scotts Pine Sheep, but again, thats probably going to be a couple months from now. Which is the whole reason why I ordered the Glacial Lemon Chill shave soap. I figure if its going to be that long, were going to be in summer by then, and I want Lemon Chill dang it. Gimme that menthol, slap me silly in the face with it, and let me feel the cool in the 90 degrees!

Yes, I like high performance soaps, Tabac, Stirling, Captains Choice, all high performing soaps. Proraso is just OK in my experience, about average. And yes, its always a battle gathering soap, when it comes to my big 30 knot brush. I find it is just easier to just scoop up the soap. But incase you didn't know this, I ordered a premium synthetic G5C 24mm knot in a Blue Lagoon handle brush, from APShaveCO. When that gets here, I have a feeling, its going to work better with my scuttle, just saying. :lol:

Thank you Guido, please keep me updated, thank you so much!

I will! And I don’t want to smell like dirt!! So no white is all right. Thayer is amazing from what I have read and I wanted to get me some when I read that it is an ingredient in the splash - not in the balm that I know of.

I really like lemon scents so that stays on the list and I want to get my hands on a Mitchell Wool Fat. Read some great things about that too.

Make way! Dutchman going down the rabbit hole! 😂 Oh look who is just ahead of me? Is that…? 😁😉

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

@FarmerTan Thank you for the kind comments! I'm curious what you think of Stirling? Try many soaps from them? And if so, what do you think of their soaps? And what do you think of Stirling as a company?

So, all you wonderful people's in Badger & Blade land, I have an announcement................. My order from Stirling came a day early! :thumbup:

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Stirling continues to surprise me each time I order from them, and this is only the 2nd time that I have ordered from them. They sent my package priority mail 2-day, when I know for a fact, I only paid for like 5 to 7 day ground. They sent me another FREE bath soap sample, which is also very kind of them. And, my order was packaged with so much care, that they could have easily shipped a chicken egg to me, and it wouldn't have been broken!

Stirling really does care about their customers. They include a hand written thank you note on the invoice package sheet. And more then that, the same sheet, has initials for the people who had both packaged my order, and the one who quality checked it, to make sure all was good. The level of service that I get from Stirling for the money, just literally blows my mind.

And trust me when I say, my mind is operating at less then optimum levels right now, as I am fighting sleep deprivation, and I really need to get some sleep ASAP. So if I say my minds blown, you can trust me when I say, its not an over-exaggeration. Stirling has clearly proven, that when a company, and the folks who run it, truly care about their customers, they will go out of their way, to make sure that you are happy.

As you can clearly see, I took a picture, to show as evidence, that they filled my soap puk jar of Lemon Chill, completely to the brim! This means, I am getting more then 5.8 ounces this time around. Yes, the label says 5.8 ounces, but if you know anything about Stirling soap puk containers, then you know, they are 6 ouncers! And logic dictates, if a 6 ounce container is filled to the brim with soap, then I have, 6 ounces of shave soap.

So, yeah, just another reason to love Stirling. I think I rest my case! Ohhhh, but I am not through yet. You see, before I slam my head into the pillow to get some much needed sleep, I wanted to say that I truly love the scent of Lemon Chill. The scents just burst through everything, sealed plastic, sealed boxes. It literally says hello to you. And if you love citrus scents, well, your gonna love Lemon Chill!

The bath soap bar, smells equally amazing, and its a good chunker of a soap bar too, your getting a lot of soap for the money and then some. Considering that I bought their LARGE alum block, I did expect it to be a little larger in size, but then again, asking my brain to visualize what a 125 grams alum block looks like, is like trying to ask me to visualize why 2001 Space Oddysey didn't happen, I couldn't tell ya.

But, would you believe that they even plastic seal the alum block itself, even despite the fact that they have it sealed within a plastic container? Stirling is not messing around, they want to make sure that the alum block gets to you in perfect condition. The level of care, I just can't get over it, if I could bestow Stirling CEO Rod with a medal, I would right now. So ya, I recommend buying the large alum block, cause the large isn't as large as you might think it is, the small one, would most certainly be too small.

The bath soap FREE sample they scent me, Queen Of Hearts? Well, I hope that the Queen Of Hearts was the right card to play to make me win a chance to go to bed to get some sleep, I need it! I could smell the soap right past the sealed plastic when brought to my nose. It does smell good, smells a bit on the woman's perfume side. Maybe it smells like roses? I really couldn't say, but its floral in some nature or other.

Alright, time for me to go to bed, goodnight, thats all folks!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Link to SOTD!

So guys, its a little early to be using a mentholated shave soap, but I really wanted to test out the Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill shave soap, so I gave it a run. I am also using a Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill bar soap as a both a pre-shave and face prep. If you read the ingredients on both the pre-shave and standard bar soaps, you will find that all the ingredients are the same except perhaps one, so I consider it the same. I rather use a mentholated soap for a pre-shave, then some odd unscented pre-shave bar, but hey, thats just me!

I truly love the scent of both the Glacial Lemon Chill shave soap, and its bar soap counterpart. When I get enough soap and water in the lather, and I work it into the face and neck, wow does that menthol kick in nicely. Performance wise, a very slick soap just as always from Stirling. But its tough as heck trying to work that big 30 knot brush to whip a lather, its just not really going to happen, as it soaks all the lather up, just as discussed.

But what I did was, I just applied the lather to my face, then I dipped just the tip of the brush in water, and brought it up to my face, then I began doing all the usual strokes, and I got it to slick up a bit more, which was nice. I did my shave, and I am quite certain my Bic blade is done, time for it to go. I will be trying out different blades in the Merkur Futur from now on, as I am kind of dissatisfied with the results of the Bic in my Futur.

Why do I say this if I still got a good shave today? Well, if you recall, I got an amazing shave the first use, then I got an OK shave the 2nd use, then I got a better shave after the 3rd use. So whats going on? Well, I just don't think my Bic Blades were really designed for this razor, the Bic's are tugging my hairs more then they are cutting them. Either they are not sharp enough, or not smooth enough for the razor.

When I shave with a razor, I am looking for sustained consistency across the board, and I am just not getting it with these blades. So, I already have a different blade planned for its replacement, and I will try that blade out. The Stirling alum block also worked nicely, I only got a couple of stings from the alum block, and it was very miner stings, nothing really bad! Love the soap bar. Works great!

So I think I did really good with my recent order from Stirling. I just gotta dial in this Merkur Futur better. But one things for sure, I am learning this razor more and more as the week unfolds. It won't be long before I finalize my review for it, so be on the lookout for that. Thanks for your time!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Hello everyone! Here are the last of my shaving supplies, before my two-month forced hiatus, due to financial reasons...

The Davidoff Cool Water aftershave, was actually ordered from Amazon in the first week of the month, but it had a long shipping delay on it, so didn't arrive till yesterday. It smells wonderful from the tube, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

proxy.php

These items come from the one and only, the true and amazing, Captains Choice! 😁
proxy.php

@Captain Pre-Capsize Thank you Scott for the lovely free gifts! I assume thats the aftershave bottle? Please give my thanks to Ken as well!

Todays items...

(1) Captains Choice Seaworthy - Starry Night Lather Bowl! 😍
(2) Captains Choice Mariners Coffee Mug! 😍
(3) Captains Choice Lime Aftershave Balm! 😍
(4) Captains Choice Coaster! 😍
(5) Captains Choice Aftershave Bottle! 😍

For those who may or may not know, I joined my first giveaway on B&B, and sadly I didn't win. But I didn't let that get me down, because, I still had items that I wanted, and so I ordered the bowl, mug, and requested a coaster for the mug. Scott was so nice, he also sent me my first bottle of CC aftershave balm, and that bottle for Captains Choice favorite mead. :tongue_sm OK, realistically, I think its for aftershave, but that style bottle could clearly be used to store your favorite mead too. HEHE!

I can't wait to try everything out here, but thats going to be tomorrow. I will also be doing a bit of science testing, can the Merkur Futur take down 5-day whisker growth, stay tuned for that report! 😁

Nobody should question my love for Captains Choice, when they see this shave den! Latest shave den photo...

proxy.php

I got more pictures that I will post in their perspective threads. So stay tuned!

Top Bottom