What's new

My first straight razor shave... A disappointment in the making

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
One of my other challenges I found during my first SE shave ....
DE = double edge like in a double-edge "safety" razor.

SE = single edge like in a single edge "safety" razor.

SR = straight razor (includes disposable blade or shavette straight razors).

I am assuming that when you write SE, you really mean SR.

Last edited:
DE = double edge like in a double-edge "safety" razor.

SE = single edge like in a single edge "safety" razor.

SR = straight razor (includes disposable blade or shavette straight razors.

I am assuming that when you write SE, you really mean SR.

OH yes, my post is about SR shaving. If I missed that somewhere.... my badd !!!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
One of my other challenges I found during my first SE shave was that although I know I have to stretch the face while shaving, I found this difficult to do with the soap I was using - Sterling Soap.

I just did as best as I could with stretching the face using my facial muscles. It worked as best as it could.

Another challenge I also found was when going from one side to another, I had a hard time switching to my other hand. I suspect this will improve over time. Most of the shave - I found myself using just one hand during the shaving process.

DE shaving is SOOO much easier !!!

:-D
Wrap the corner of a washcloth around your fingertips to give them traction on slippery skin.

My first straight razor I am using....
20220424_151858.jpg
20220424_151848.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You have chosen a fine SR with which to start your traditional SR shaving adventure, not necessarily the most forgiving to shave with but a fine shaver.

Rather than stropping after your shave, I suggest that you try stropping just before each shave. That way you remove any oxidation form the bevel that has developed since the last stropping.

Try this;
  • About 5 or 6 very light laps on a clean cloth strop after the shave to remove any soap residue from the bevel.
  • About 50 very light laps on a clean leather strop just before the shave to realign the edge and remove any oxidation.
All steels oxidised unless in an oxygen-free environment.

@rbscebu

Thanks for the vote of confidence with my beginners razor acquisitions and the advice on the stropping techniques. I will try that out the next time I will shave.

I've had a teacher on this forum. Regarding SR shaving, he taught me everything I know. I'm reiterating what others have said but I feel compelled to share what I now know.

When it comes time to hone, you can send it out or do it yourself. When a strop doesn't create a shave-ready edge; that time has come. I was lucky enough to be given a base stone (JNAT) and 3 of the 5 Naguras required, with the assignment to purchase the other two. Progression I learned was Botan, Tenjyou, Mejiero, Koma then Tomo. I had to get the 2nd and 3rd.

I bought a Naniwa Super Stone synth @ 1000 grit. I use this to set the bevel. I was beat repeatedly with a stick emblazoned "No bevel, no edge!" Since I followed the directions to the letter, the beating was pain-free--morale even improved.

After the bevel, I was instructed to shave with it. Only the cheeks. Finish with my DE. This was to show that a set bevel will shave, albeit a bit uncomfortably. If you can't shave with a bevel only, revisit that bevel. Perfect it. Progressing with an imperfect bevel is futile. (No bevel, no edge). Making an omelette with Julia Child at your side will still be a ****ty omelette if the eggs are old.

Then I started the progression. This can be done via Naguras if going the JNAT route, synthetics, coticules, ark. stones, French stones--and maintained with pasted balsa, sprayed denim or linen if that's the path you choose, or any number of ways. I tell my students, "I don't care how you get there--I'll meet you on the corner of Right and Correct. Be on time."

After each singular progression I was told to shave. Purpose being to experience the shave afforded by the various stages. Call it, "No substitute for experience," "Actions speak louder than words," they all apply. When it was comfortable to go beyond cheeks only, I progressed to the rest of my face, then neck (took a couple of weeks.) I was praised for sticking to the plan, and not shaving my whole face--even when I thought I was "there."

I don't speak from a position of experience, but I feel like I was taught by a very learned and disciplined man with the patience of a saint, and the wisdom of Yoda. His expertise is only outdone by his humility. (I call him Sensei).

Some highlights--You will fail more than you succeed, learn from your failures. Use them as an opportunity. Be patient. Before the contract was signed, I had to acknowledge the line that said, "The recipient will abide by patience, come hell or high water." I was forced to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

I wanted to buy so many toys, my original plan was to buy a full suite of Shapton glass from 1K to 30K. I was ready. Then I met my Sensei. He saved me so much money, I became a contributor. Expensive is always nice, but I learned to put an edge on a $7 W.H. Morely & Sons, and a $34 Wade & Butcher. Then I had the confidence to put an edge on my new Dovo. At the risk of sounding like a braggart, when I open the Dovo case, the whiskers on my face recede into their follicles. (But I shave anyway just for fun.) Those edges I'm very proud of. My most recent purchase was a $7 loupe 30X/60X recommended by @Doc226. This doesn't have to be an expensive sport, but more power to ya if you're a "cry once" kinda guy. You have arrived when those fancy razors of yours (they are all beautiful, BTW) carry YOUR edge.

I can go on, but I won't. @discomike your first experiences were not failures. They were opportunities knocking. Hopefully you heard the door. Learn from them. Try not to repeat actions that don't work.

Oh, and as evidenced by this thread, the forum is here for you. Just like it is for me.

Last edited:
@SparkyLB that was a wonderful post and has given me lots to think about. Soon I'll be starting on my SR journey having "won" (is it still winning if I was the only competitor?) @rbscebu's PIF for a Titan straight.

It will arrive with a pasted balsa shave-ready edge, which I'll maintain on the .1um pasted balsa strop that I made. Based on your experience, that journey from zero experience to a great shave with a SR will take a LOT of patience. And failures. But I'm sure I'll get there in the end, and when I get there I'll wonder what was so hard about it along the way.

I can already feel an urge to take a cruddy old thing from an auction site and turn it into a work of art that shaves my face. All in good time I guess.

@SparkyLB that was a wonderful post and has given me lots to think about. Soon I'll be starting on my SR journey having "won" (is it still winning if I was the only competitor?) @rbscebu's PIF for a Titan straight.

It will arrive with a pasted balsa shave-ready edge, which I'll maintain on the .1um pasted balsa strop that I made. Based on your experience, that journey from zero experience to a great shave with a SR will take a LOT of patience. And failures. But I'm sure I'll get there in the end, and when I get there I'll wonder what was so hard about it along the way.

I can already feel an urge to take a cruddy old thing from an auction site and turn it into a work of art that shaves my face. All in good time I guess.
You will get there. Once you get that edge, you might want a family member put a block on eBay, Amazon, and the BST forum right here.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod

Just remember that the PIF'ed Titan SR has a bevel angle of 18°. This gives a very acceptable and forgiving shaving edge but not necessarily the keenest. A more accute bevel angle, requiring a different SR, will give you a keener edge.

Once you start SR shaving and think that you want to continue down that path, I recommend that you put together the other two balsa strops (0.5μm and 0.25μm). You can then "refresh" the edge as it dulls with your inexperience (too high a shave angle and/or incorrect stropping technique).

If you find that SR shaving is not for you, you can PIF your gear to some other deserving fellow on B&B, even if the blade's edge is then not shave-ready.

Getting a leather & cloth strop is also a good idea. Although not strictly needed if maintenance is performed on a 0.1μm hanging balsa, it may provide some improvement of the edge. It also feels good to use.

You will probably eventually want some honing medium. To keep within a low budget, so having more to spent on more SR's 😁, here is were lapping films come in.

Last edited:
OP, I stuck with WTG passes only when I started out. I would do multiple WTG passes at first, and finally ended up just doing 2. This would give me a good SAS. After a couple of months of this, I moved to XTG and then ATG. I honestly was afraid to shave ATG with the SR at first. My first few sessions don't sound far off of yours. DON'T chase BBS shaves with a SR right away. I was shaving for probably 6 months before I really started to get near BBS shaves. Probably a year before I got the true "doesn't catch cotton ball lint" BBS. Even then, not every shave is that good. I have days when it's super dry or super humid and my lather is just off and the shave isn't what I wish it could be, but even then I get a very close DFS. Bonus points that a SR is actually easier on your skin than any other razor. At least when you do your part.

Top Bottom