What's new

April Frugal Follies Cheapskate Challenge (AFFCC) - 2022 Edition

The Fatip is on my future purchase list.
To me it feels like a modern day Old Type. The Grande has a regular and hollow handle while the Piccolo has a short and pencil thin solid one. If you only think about one Fatip then look at the FOCS/Lo Storto Slant first. Efficient and smooth and even a bit more forgiving than their regular head.

3070F94A-4C8C-445B-ABDA-2A068C4CEB44.jpeg

8AEC1D8F-8D3E-4EF2-99C5-98D7F8176262.jpeg

To me it feels like a modern day Old Type. The Grande has a regular and hollow handle while the Piccolo has a short and pencil thin solid one. If you only think about one Fatip then look at the FOCS/Lo Storto Slant first. Efficient and smooth and even a bit more forgiving than their regular head.

View attachment 1447202
View attachment 1447203
Maybe a bit too forgiving? :lol: The Gentile is the intermediate between the FOCS and the Originale. I vote that, if the Originale is too much.

I've got the Fatip smooth bar slant. It was mild, but gave me some irritation on my neck. I only tried it twice and with a Feather blade. I haven't revisited it yet. I got it on black friday sale, so it was fairly inexpensive.

I've got the Fatip smooth bar slant. It was mild, but gave me some irritation on my neck. I only tried it twice and with a Feather blade. I haven't revisited it yet. I got it on black friday sale, so it was fairly inexpensive.
Could have been the Feather and not the razor. Which other blades do you like?

Still in...​

Baili BT171 + Derby Extra (17)
Cella (brick) + Omega 13564
Witch Hazel + Power Stick ASB

As if to say "we can hang with the big boys", the kit rewarded me with a most-excellent shave today. No nicks, weepers, or irritation. I don't chase BBS because as a proud parent and grandparent I've changed enough diapers to know my face will never be that smooth again. That said, I can't imagine how today's shave could have been closer with the same level of comfort. What a great start to a great day! Be well and stay safe...

An absolute uneventful - in the best sense of the word - last shave in April.
I finished the tube of Nivea from last summer, broke in that little Omega boar, know now that the KCG is an excellent albeit expensive blade and that this AS is nothing for me.

I’m looking forward to my brush rotation and using the CC copper bowl with a couple of new acquisitions :)

I think we all proofed that a month with a budget kit is possible and mostly even an enjoyable change of pace for those with a big den.

Please do let me know if you want to give it a go next year as well or if we just say „Mission accomplished“ and let it rest.

1D3FFBD6-8245-4056-B6DA-29E56664E89B.jpeg

In case somebody is wondering about my new pic, it was just a perfect fit…

Yesterday evening's shave was nothing short of wonderful. No lie, the best one all month. I've still got soap for months and plenty of balm left. As has been mentioned by you guys what I've missed most is the variety in my aftershave. I've been perfectly happy with my brush, soap, and razor. Going several weeks with the same razor and brush is nothing new to me, but I do like the scent rotation.

I'm going to take this into overtime and shave with some sub $30 kits for the next few shaves. It's time to try out that New Short Comb and bring back out the Baili and Super Blue.

Was your old avatar Leon from The Professional?

Yesterday evening's shave was nothing short of wonderful. No lie, the best one all month. I've still got soap for months and plenty of balm left. As has been mentioned by you guys what I've missed most is the variety in my aftershave. I've been perfectly happy with my brush, soap, and razor. Going several weeks with the same razor and brush is nothing new to me, but I do like the scent rotation.

I'm going to take this into overtime and shave with some sub $30 kits for the next few shaves. It's time to try out that New Short Comb and bring back out the Baili and Super Blue.

Was your old avatar Leon from The Professional?
Yes it was :)

And we're done...

Thank you @Multum in parvo for facilitating this challenge. And thanks to all who have participated and provided support. It's been fun and I look forward to doing it again next year. As always, I wish the best for you and yours...

Baili BT171 + Derby Extra (18)
Cella (brick) + Omega 13564
Witch Hazel + Power Stick ASB

20220331_111132.jpg

Finished the month with another fine shave. I was done after two passes, but that's just not how we do it. And sure enough, I got bit. It was nothing serious and didn't even bleed, but I still feel it. The mishap occurred during a "fool's pass" which I had only previously attempted once a few years ago. Why today? I have no idea, but I doubt it will happen again any time soon. Lesson learned.

The razor has been disassembled and cleaned. The blade has been deposited into the blade bank. The brush has been thoroughly rinsed and will be stored after a sufficient amount of time to dry. And I still have a lot of soap...

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wilkinson Sword Classic black plastic razor
Wilkinson Sword Classic blade (19)
LEA shave stick
(No brush)
Boots Freshwood aftershave

20220323_170643.jpg

The final frugal challenge shave is done. Another very close and comfortable result. Not so much as a pinhead of blood spotted all month (not counting my tumble down the stairs), and very for other shaving complications either. All on a single blade too, which I think still has a few great shaves to offer.

I did have a couple of imperfect lathers along the way, but otherwise, it has been nice to reassure myself that I wasn't deluding myself how good my shaves were over the 20 years that I used this razor exclusively. I really can get shaves as good as I will ever need, with the humbled of shaving kits.

It's been fun revisiting not just cheaper items, but brush free methods too, and indeed that one shave, where I didn't even bother with soap. However, I probably wouldn't want to make this an annual event, personally. My regular kit is far from opulent, but I do enjoy the simple luxuries of choosing between a couple of brushes, and a couple of soaps and a cream. I will drift back to my regular Jagger razor in time too, as the extra efficiency is preferred. For a while though, I will stick with the Wilkie, albeit accompanied by my usual soaps and brushes.

Thanks for the excuse for this little shave diversion, Hannes. 🍻

I finished off the month with pretty much the same setup I've used for the past week. The DE89 clone, Gillette Platinum, Old Spice cream, the cheap boar brush, and finishing up with the rosewater and aloe face mist from the Dollar store. I've enjoyed the challenge and think I'll spend some time working on some different options for if we do this again next year

BTW I hear the Dollar Tree has a new three piece razor :)

I've kept the challenge going in a way. I assembled another kit that I've been using the past week. I'll start another Sunday.
Gillette New SC $16.67 BST
Derby Extra $1.89 Ebay
Barbasol 1919 $5 Grocery
Nivea balm $5 Walmart

I'm coming in around the $29 mark. I preferred the last set up because I prefer a proper soap and brush over a brushless cream. I still got great shaves though. The razor is new to me and proved to be a solid performer. I did have a skin blemish that the razor took offense to, yet all is well. The Barbasol 1919 is sure enough slick and I'd recommend it, but it does tend to clog your razor.
1651871750184.png

Top Bottom