What's new

April 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I applaud all participants for their perseverance. I decided to enter for the remainder of April to publicly commit myself in restraining any new purchases. I was on the verge of buying an English made Tech. Real beauty and fair price point. But now going back and forth I have made up my mind. No more.

Therefore this public commitment to keep me at bay. I fully understand that I have not followed the rules of this GRUME until now - the more respect I have for those who did. And honestly I did not know what GRUME really was until yesterday.

Still in. This mornings shave.
1C591C1A-22CF-4F77-9184-00DE1F7924A4_1_201_a.jpeg

Still In
SOTD #25
DFS

Back to auto-pilot with the R89 and SI Blade. I almost feel guilty about binning this blade, but it's time to move onwards to additional trials. 13 is a solid run, especially considering the shaves are above CCS with the same amount of passes.

Multiple brushes today, just wanted to be extreme - LoL...

• No Pre-Shave
  • Truefitt's Sandalwood Soap (SOTM)
  • Simpson's Wee Scot & T3
  • Mühle R89
  • Wizamet SI (13) - Binned
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • B&M Leviathan Splash
  • No Post-Shave balm
IMG_6941.jpeg

20220425_173121-01-01-01.jpeg
Still in. I'm back from a short trip to the Dutch north sea coast. I was slightly tempted to grab a tub of Vergulde Hand shaving soap which can be found in almost every local brick and mortar strore, but I resisted. I still have a tub in my den which I haven't used for quite some time... so reason prevailed.

Happy shaves!

The May thread is up:

I applaud all participants for their perseverance. I decided to enter for the remainder of April to publicly commit myself in restraining any new purchases. I was on the verge of buying an English made Tech. Real beauty and fair price point. But now going back and forth I have made up my mind. No more.

Therefore this public commitment to keep me at bay. I fully understand that I have not followed the rules of this GRUME until now - the more respect I have for those who did. And honestly I did not know what GRUME really was until yesterday.
Awesome! You can ride out the rest of the month and then, if you're so inclined, you can join us for May (see above).

I'm starting to think I'm not very good at this.

I'm out.

This marks the third time that I've been seeking something in vain for ~6 months, only to have it turn up when I'm in a GRUME.

I don't want to say exactly what the item is, because it's an open auction (closing before the end of the month, alas), and I don't want to draw attention to it. But I put in a bid, aka a commitment to purchase, so I'm out.

I guess you can call it "mystery grail razor" for now. It's funny, I'm probably the only one chasing this particular razor. But you never know.
If it's a grail item for you, I hope you win, and I hope we'll see you in May. :)

When a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal- SOTM
2) hopper_64 - VA - AA - out (4/22: Spain)
3) Kyle89 - out (4/13: Simpson brush)
4) Herrenberg - out (4/23: grail-razor bid)
5) @Balin - AFFCC(?), GRUYERE
6) @cryhavoc
7) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
8) @ChriWilson - SOTM
9) @rbscebu
10) @Roedeer
11) @Doti B
12) @JAHE - AA
13) @elmo_koffman - GRUYERE, SOTM
14) @sandorfi - SOTM
15) @Berwick12
16) @Stuart Ganis
17) @Cafebarian
18) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
19) @sarir97
20) @iver
21) @prajnagatu
22) @Dodger59
23) @wmadoty
24) @La Malice
25) @linty1

If it's a grail item for you, I hope you win, and I hope we'll see you in May. :)

When a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal- SOTM
2) hopper_64 - VA - AA - out (4/22: Spain)
3) Kyle89 - out (4/13: Simpson brush)
4) Herrenberg - out (4/23: grail-razor bid)
5) @Balin - AFFCC(?), GRUYERE
6) @cryhavoc
7) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
8) @ChriWilson - SOTM
9) @rbscebu
10) @Roedeer
11) @Doti B
12) @JAHE - AA
13) @elmo_koffman - GRUYERE, SOTM
14) @sandorfi - SOTM
15) @Berwick12
16) @Stuart Ganis
17) @Cafebarian
18) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
19) @sarir97
20) @iver
21) @prajnagatu
22) @Dodger59
23) @wmadoty
24) @La Malice
25) @linty1
Still In

Less than a week to go and FOMO is starting to get heavy :LMS

A lazy day, did not felt like shaving nor this evening, oh well it will a 3 days worth shave tomorrow.

Meanwhile with the end of the month approaching, it is time for me to think about a refill, after 5 month with no purchase I am about out of after shave balm ... time to go browse those website and be ready for the may 1st

Day 26, 86.7% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 OC, Al Handle, Boots #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid.

I hadn't tried the Game Changer .68 open comb plate for months, so gave it a turn. The Italian Barber chart says it's slightly milder than the .84 safety bar.

It was docile enough to use for the whole job, including ATG, and gave a comfortable DFS+ on my face. Missed a bit on my neck — I think it wants a shallower angle than I'm used to with the safety bar.

This one deserves a more thorough trial.

Meanwhile with the end of the month approaching, it is time for me to think about a refill, after 5 month with no purchase I am about out of after shave balm ... time to go browse those website and be ready for the may 1st

La Malice, congratulations on a long run of restraint!

I was impressed with KCG blades, and only have one left. If they are still available locally, I'm going to buy some before the end of the month, fail the April GRUME, but be set to behave myself for May.

Got tempted by a Lupo .72, but after reading the Game Changer versus Lupo threads, I think I talked myself out of that one.

I hadn't tried the Game Changer .68 open comb plate for months, so gave it a turn. The Italian Barber chart says it's slightly milder than the .84 safety bar.

It was docile enough to use for the whole job, including ATG, and gave a comfortable DFS+ on my face. Missed a bit on my neck — I think it wants a shallower angle than I'm used to with the safety bar.

This one deserves a more thorough trial.
The Gamechanger .68 OC is my favourite Gamechanger plate. I get irritated if I use the .84 SB daily and .68 SB plate is a bit more work for me! I hope you enjoy your next trial!

Still In - FOMO is firmly in control
SOTD #26
DFS+

Back to auto-pilot with the R89 and my favorite badger. Nothing planned here, but I did note that my 3-passes were completed in under 15mins of my 20min meditation session - oh my...

I have used the MedPrep, but not as part of my daily shaver "trials" e.g. controlled 3 shave log. What a fantastic blade !
Very much on par with the Reds (maybe better) and a touch smoother than Crystals, imo. Definitely feels that longevity and sharpness will be there commensurate to the aforementioned Personna's.
  • No Pre-Shave
  • Truefitt's Sandalwood Soap (SOTM)
  • Adam Grooming's Pure Badger
  • Mühle R89
  • Med Prep
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Captain's Choice Sandalwood Splash
  • No Post-Shave balm
IMG_6950.JPG

* Disclosure - I have not used Keurig in many years, the mug has great heat retention and capacity

Top Bottom