What's new

April Frugal Follies Cheapskate Challenge (AFFCC) - 2022 Edition

I haven't joined the Frugal follies as I participated in the Adjustable April , which seemed like a good idea after Feb and March lock in for hardware.

This week I am out on a 4x4 drive through the country side called "escape to the country", so didn't carry my shave gear to travel light.

Today during a halt in an offbeat small sleepy town grocery store to get some supplies picked up some shave gear which truly qualifies for April Frugal Follies. I had walked in to check what kind of shave gear would be available in this offbeat place, however Gillette seemed to have me well covered here !

All within 5 dollars worth

An excellent three pass shave with real hard ground water with cold water coming from squeaky calcified taps. However in 104 degrees outside temperature, the water through the pipes was really qualified to be called "cold"

The water was hard but the Gillette Guard shave cream made some wonderful lather with the floppy Nylon brush. It was impossible to move the razor over skin without lather.

Residual slickness was zero thanks to the hard water, however there was plenty of lather and it had to be applied for three full passes to get a bbs shave.

View attachment 1445961
Would there have been some AS available as well?

Today's shave went fine as could be. BBS excepting the usual trouble spot. I think that by going with a vintage Gillette I grabbed a better razor than most of you. I'm not knocking your razor choices. I'm just point out the quality that Gillette used to put out. I should grab a Yuma to add to the collection.

I compared the photo of your LEA disposable to my Dorco and they are the same. The only difference is that the name "Dorco" is made into the handle where your razor handle is flat. They're not great, but they can give a decent shave. I think they cost me 15 cents apiece when I buy them in packs of 60 razors.

Today's shave went fine as could be. BBS excepting the usual trouble spot. I think that by going with a vintage Gillette I grabbed a better razor than most of you. I'm not knocking your razor choices. I'm just point out the quality that Gillette used to put out. <SNIP>
I don't doubt it. I have several vintage Gillette razors but only one Baili; all of my Goodwills, Techs, Super-Speeds, Slims, Fatboys, New LC and SC razors provide wonderful shaves. I guess the Baili is the Tech clone for travel if I thought the razor might be left behind. Enjoy your shaves...

Last edited:
I have several vintage Gillette razors but only one Baili;
The Baili 179 was my first razor and a 64 Gillette Super Speed was my second. The Baili gives a good shave and the fit and finish is great. The difference is in the mechanism. The SS was smooth and quiet while the Baili is loud and janky feeling. The Baili was about $6, it served me well for 2 or 3 months, and still looks like new.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wilkinson Sword Classic black plastic razor
Wilkinson Sword Classic blade (17)
LEA shave stick
(No brush)
Boots Freshwood aftershave

After 17 shaves, the blade might be starting to show signs of tiring. Or it might not. It may just be differences in lather. It's been a fair few years since I last went so long without a brush-made lather.

This month's shaves have felt oddly familiar and yet unfamiliar at the same time. There's nothing new to me about any of the kit or methods I have been using, and I know what it is all capable of achieving, but I don't have the same intuitive awareness with It, that I do when I'm settled in with my usual kit.

So when something isn't perfect, I don't have as clear a perspective of why. As such, today's perceived light tugging in places could be imperfect angle, imperfect lather, old blade, or even that today's lather would be perfect with my other razor, but not with a well used blade in this one.

I currently want to stick with this razor, beyond the end of the month, even though I know it will mean taking even longer to get settled back in with the Jagger when I return to it. I want to try to rediscover that sense of intuition with this razor again, but that is tempered with the knowledge that I had 20+ years exclusive use of it last time, and have since had several years predominantly using the Jagger. As such, achieving that same familiarity might be a bit of a stretch, or in other words, take longer than I'm prepared to stick with it.

I do know I could never be one of those people who swaps and changes all the time though. I've tried that, and I miss that intuitive awareness that comes from continuity, far too much.

Wilkinson Sword Classic black plastic razor
Wilkinson Sword Classic blade (17)
LEA shave stick
(No brush)
Boots Freshwood aftershave

After 17 shaves, the blade might be starting to show signs of tiring. Or it might not. It may just be differences in lather. It's been a fair few years since I last went so long without a brush-made lather.

This month's shaves have felt oddly familiar and yet unfamiliar at the same time. There's nothing new to me about any of the kit or methods I have been using, and I know what it is all capable of achieving, but I don't have the same intuitive awareness with It, that I do when I'm settled in with my usual kit.

So when something isn't perfect, I don't have as clear a perspective of why. As such, today's perceived light tugging in places could be imperfect angle, imperfect lather, old blade, or even that today's lather would be perfect with my other razor, but not with a well used blade in this one.

I currently want to stick with this razor, beyond the end of the month, even though I know it will mean taking even longer to get settled back in with the Jagger when I return to it. I want to try to rediscover that sense of intuition with this razor again, but that is tempered with the knowledge that I had 20+ years exclusive use of it last time, and have since had several years predominantly using the Jagger. As such, achieving that same familiarity might be a bit of a stretch, or in other words, take longer than I'm prepared to stick with it.

I do know I could never be one of those people who swaps and changes all the time though. I've tried that, and I miss that intuitive awareness that comes from continuity, far too much.
Going back to a brush for constant good lather might be all that is missing…

Last night I stuck the Gillette Platinum blade in the Dollar Tree razor I originally bought for this challenge. I stared at it for a few minutes and then just hung it on the razor rack. This morning I skipped shaving, but I'm still thinking about using that $1 razor on the last day. Tomorrow I'll probably load the Atra SP that came with my 'challenge' Razor and give it a run. I get along pretty good with the Astras sp I imagine it will be a suitable combo.

* ixnay that idea ... the 30th is my son's graduation ceremony from college so I may still use it on the 1st and report back in here for science :)

This time round I miss my other brushes most and the AS was not the best choice besides being cheap.
Yeah, I started missing my AS rotation pretty soon into the challenge, but lately I've been staring at my RR synthetic brush a whole lot. The little brush I chose for the challenge does yeoman's work, but the tiny knot makes a little extra work each morning and just isn't quite as pleasant on the face.

I think back to my first setup ( Lord L5 razor, Williams Mug soap, VDH boar brush, Lord Platinum blades, and I don't even remember what AS but I bet it was Aqua Velva or Master's Bay Rum) and realize I used it for months with no problem before I decided to start buying more stuff. I doubt all that was much more than $30 back then, and I was fairly happy with it all.

Just 3 more days and we're done! This has been fun. I appreciate the cheapskate challenge because I tend to focus on the shave rather than the shaving gear in hopes that maybe this approach will lead to better shaves down the road. The razor is actually better than some costing a lot more, and I don't dislike the brush as much. I still have a lot of soap left and I can tolerate just about any blade.

I've participated in the fixed-four in March, but it's pretty easy for me to shave for a month with my favorite razor, blade, soap, and brush. That isn't a challenge at all other than the lack of variety. Yeah, some people use it to get familiar with their gear or dial-in a soap, but I have all year to do that. This challenge helps me to appreciate the gear that may not be my first choice if forced to downsize.

Last edited:
Autopilot BBS - and to say it with B.B. King...

SOTD.jpg

@Multum in parvo I was reading a little while ago about some guys being disappointed in the Nivea cream. How does it compare in your opinion to others such as Proraso, Cella, or Arko?
The dark blue/regular one is very thick and protective it might even prohibit a super close shave with some razors. In contrast the Sensitive is much thinner and you risk irritations if you overshave. Scentwise it is nothing to write home about, just clean/soapiness/creaminess no menthol and scent per se.

As said it is more protective than Proraso and Arko creams but not as good as the Arko stick. Can't say about Cella as I only used it once or twice.

Thanks. That's good to know. I'm rather found of my Proraso and Arko creams.
I prefer Proraso and Arko as well. I bought this tube last summer whilst on vacation and going through Shark Week. The Palmolive Menthol was too thin for the rough Shark blades so Nivea saved the day/week.

4/28 Update

Brought the Old Spice classic shave cream back into play. It is really a great bang for your buck product. I put the Gillette Platinum blade back into the DE89 clone and it delivered another no-nonsense shave, though I suspect it's slowing down a little bit. I did make it a point to use the Pears soap I selected as a pre-shave for this challenge in the shower this morning. I finished off with the dollar store rose water with aloe face mist and it is oddly comforting. I put a dab of the Dove Men+Care moisturizing cream on after that since the OS has almost nothing in it for face feel benefits.

So, two shaves left and I realize I haven't used all the blades that came with my razor. I <may> actually load one of the Rapira Platinum Lux blades that came with it just to see how it behaves in that razor.

Top Bottom