What's new

ADJUSTABLE APRIL (starts April,1st)

A great Sunday morning shave. There isn’t much more that can be said about the Sailor. One of the finest shavers in my den and arguably the best razor ever. I know that’s a big statement with all of the great razors created in years past. But, this razor can potentially single handedly replace every razor in one’s collection. Not that it would mine as I love to have variety but, it could quite easily. If you asked me to keep 3 and only 3 it would be my Timeless Ti, Brass General & this behemoth right here. Also a Taiga if I had kept mine. Just a superb performing razor from soup to nuts.

8A7F0B1F-D530-4DF5-847F-6C23073596A1.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
There isn’t much more that can be said about the Sailor. One of the finest shavers in my den and arguably the best razor ever. If you asked me to keep 3 and only 3 it would be my Timeless Ti, Brass General & this behemoth right here. Also a Taiga if I had kept mine. Just a superb performing razor from soup to nuts.

Which Timeless Ti, Gus?

It's been years since I used my General. I have the SS version, the original model, and like it very much. It's finally returned from an extended road trip and will be used sometime in May I think. I'm sorry to have passed several times on the brass version.

I'll admit to having been shocked when you sold your Taiga.

Considering all the razors you've reviewed and how many I know you still have, putting these three or four in their own category is high praise indeed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Sunday, 24th April'22

Razor
: Mingshi 3000s
Blade : Gillette permasharp stainless green
Cream : Godrej lime shaving cream
Brush : Olivina badger
Post shave : Alum + Lucky Tiger AS

A horror shave with the Mingshi 3000s razor today.

I had two cheap options incoming. This Mingshi 3000 and the Olivna badger brush. I didn't expect much from both, especially the brush which I bought for its handle, to be reknotted later.

The brush splayed with zero resistance and shed like 5 hairs a minute. Lost count of how many hair it shed

The razor was like a scene from a blood and gore horror movie.

It didn't cut at 3 or 5, but just felt like scrapping uncontrollably along the blade edge and felt very rough. It was cutting inconsistently along the edge.

Turned up to a 7 with tremendous blade feel but again extremely inefficient.

At full 9.5 resulted in a stormy shave with nicks and cuts all over.

I kept the razor down prematurely, and experienced the most torturous alum stinging ever, all over my face. Skin felt really raw.

The brush will meet its intended destiny and be reknotted.

The razor never again.

This ends my adjustable April journey as I am traveling this week on an adventure drive in my 4x4 for 3 days, away from civilization. I've already got some face skin to heal, the three days will serve me just fine !
Good week ahead folks!

mahindra-thar-2020-modified-featured.jpg

1650830374715.jpg

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
After using some repeats (Super Adjustable, Fatboy, Slim and a farewell shave with the Muramasa above) today I used what is now my newest adjustable .. the very affordable Pearl Flexi. I was feeling nostalgic so dug out some Mama Bear's Dragon's Blood to get stirred up by the SE Simpson's M7 - blade was the same as has been used all month in the DEs, a vintage Schick Plus Platinum ..

DSC00652.JPG

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
02680CD7-70E9-4870-83AF-83400EB3E968.jpeg

Adjustable April shave number 22 for me. Was going to use the Fatboy but I decided on the Gold G4 Slim that I have never used. I hadn’t even given it a spa until last night. Used a Nacet blade which are nearly always harsh for me on the first shave but they smooth out during the week and give me a weeks worth of good shaves.

Adjustable April Day 25
Razor: Erfa Rasant
Blade: Wizamet SI
Brush: Wild West / Timberwolf
Soap: Master Soap Creations - Vintage Spice

SOTD220425.jpg

Made in the DDR, it looks like you would expect it to look - rough and ready. I believe this to be the first generation. The TopCap and Twist Knob are made of zamak. The plating on the thread has worn off so I use it sparingly and ensure that everything is dry after I have used it. The rest of it is painted aluminium. The Merkur Progress influence is very evident.

How does it shave:
On the low settings is mild but opening it up about 3/4 of a turn it gives a excellent shave with a fair bit of blade feel.

Which Timeless Ti, Gus?

It's been years since I used my General. I have the SS version, the original model, and like it very much. It's finally returned from an extended road trip and will be used sometime in May I think. I'm sorry to have passed several times on the brass version.

I'll admit to having been shocked when you sold your Taiga.

Considering all the razors you've reviewed and how many I know you still have, putting these three or four in their own category is high praise indeed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Pardon my delay in responding to your inquiry about my fav razors, Jim. Life gets in the way sometimes and leaves very little time for anything else. My apologies amigo.

The Timeless Ti in both .68 & .95 OC/SB respectively offer an excellent 1-2 punch in the shave world that is tough to beat. Maybe the Wolfman line up might offer a more luxurious feel and certainly a more efficient shaver once you go into the WR2 series with their bigger gaps from 1.15 to 1.55 and not to dismiss their WR1 in the .94 gap size which many would consider to be the best shaver in both smoothness & efficiency that has ever come out of that famed artisans hands. I sampled the WR1 .94 in the DC set up and that razor just might be the Creme de la Creme of the 3 pc. Luxury razor division to date. However, the Timeless Ti is nip & tuck behind that razor and as an overall value, pound for pound it takes the crown in my humble opinion. It’s more affordable and is easier to attain and it shaves balls to the wall while still being very comfortable & easy to use.

The Brass General is nothing fancy nor does it look exotic. It has nothing special over any other SE razor other than it’s made of brass. But, for my face and armed with a Feather Pro Super, the BG shaves with the best of them providing excellent smoothness and comfort while giving exceptional efficiency with the Pro Super. It just feels 2nd nature in my hands and I’ll never part with it. In my eyes, it’s the best razor the house of Colonial Razors ever produced. Nuff said.

You know my thoughts on the Taiga. And many across multiple forums think I’m nuts when I state that the Taiga offers the easier tool to use when it is compared to the Rocnel Sailor. And for me, it is the easier tool to get a world class shave when your delving into high gap territory. You can shave with the Sailor in big gap land but, it’s not as easy nor as comfortable compared to the Taiga in my experience. Both phenomenal and represent the pinnacle of adjustable razor tech with the Taiga being the more simpler design yet still being as competent as the Sailor at every step. I sold my model to finance & acquire a Ti version but, with the situation over in the Ukraine-Russia it has pushed back the timetable in me receiving it as I asked for some custom work to be done to it (high polish and some bling) back in January when I had placed my order. I was given an 8-12 week time frame and that has been shot to hell. It is what it is. I‘ve been in contact with Sergey over at HomelikeShaving and I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Keeping my fingers crossed that it gets here soon.

Forgive me gents for going a bit off topic. Back to the Adjustable April theme.

Yup, a vintage Merkur Progress with the sore thumb looking plastic adjustment knob. And yes, I have to fiddle with the blade a tiny bit to get it properly aligned. Funny thing is when I do that and take the time to make sure it’s done, it shaves remarkably well. No, check that it shaves superbly no matter what setting it’s on. Works beautifully with an assortment of razor blades that I’ve ran it with and never a bad shave, some better than others but, even the so-so ones were pretty darn good. Marvelous shaver for a very fair price of entry.

9D0F91C9-673A-4D30-8AF2-6A2AB1ADD676.jpeg

Adjustable April Day 26
Razor: Revelation
Blade: Feather DE
Brush: Rubberset 400
Soap: De Vergulde Hand

SOTD220426.jpg

Another OddBall razor. Its an open comb, bakelite and has a unique adjustment mechanism. Its basically two spring loaded rails pushing up against the top cap. You adjust the gap by simply turning the dial. Coupled to this, its also differential head. The head is very similar to a Bohin, so we guess at just before the 1940's. There are no indicator markings so you need to count turns of the handle.

How does it shave:
Its a very mild razor.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Pardon my delay in responding to your inquiry about my fav razors, Jim. Life gets in the way sometimes and leaves very little time for anything else. My apologies amigo.

The Timeless Ti in both .68 & .95 OC/SB respectively offer an excellent 1-2 punch in the shave world that is tough to beat. Maybe the Wolfman line up might offer a more luxurious feel and certainly a more efficient shaver once you go into the WR2 series with their bigger gaps from 1.15 to 1.55 and not to dismiss their WR1 in the .94 gap size which many would consider to be the best shaver in both smoothness & efficiency that has ever come out of that famed artisans hands. I sampled the WR1 .94 in the DC set up and that razor just might be the Creme de la Creme of the 3 pc. Luxury razor division to date. However, the Timeless Ti is nip & tuck behind that razor and as an overall value, pound for pound it takes the crown in my humble opinion. It’s more affordable and is easier to attain and it shaves balls to the wall while still being very comfortable & easy to use.

The Brass General is nothing fancy nor does it look exotic. It has nothing special over any other SE razor other than it’s made of brass. But, for my face and armed with a Feather Pro Super, the BG shaves with the best of them providing excellent smoothness and comfort while giving exceptional efficiency with the Pro Super. It just feels 2nd nature in my hands and I’ll never part with it. In my eyes, it’s the best razor the house of Colonial Razors ever produced. Nuff said.

You know my thoughts on the Taiga. And many across multiple forums think I’m nuts when I state that the Taiga offers the easier tool to use when it is compared to the Rocnel Sailor. And for me, it is the easier tool to get a world class shave when your delving into high gap territory. You can shave with the Sailor in big gap land but, it’s not as easy nor as comfortable compared to the Taiga in my experience. Both phenomenal and represent the pinnacle of adjustable razor tech with the Taiga being the more simpler design yet still being as competent as the Sailor at every step. I sold my model to finance & acquire a Ti version but, with the situation over in the Ukraine-Russia it has pushed back the timetable in me receiving it as I asked for some custom work to be done to it (high polish and some bling) back in January when I had placed my order. I was given an 8-12 week time frame and that has been shot to hell. It is what it is. I‘ve been in contact with Sergey over at HomelikeShaving and I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Keeping my fingers crossed that it gets here soon.

Forgive me gents for going a bit off topic. Back to the Adjustable April theme.

Yup, a vintage Merkur Progress with the sore thumb looking plastic adjustment knob. And yes, I have to fiddle with the blade a tiny bit to get it properly aligned. Funny thing is when I do that and take the time to make sure it’s done, it shaves remarkably well. No, check that it shaves superbly no matter what setting it’s on. Works beautifully with an assortment of razor blades that I’ve ran it with and never a bad shave, some better than others but, even the so-so ones were pretty darn good. Marvelous shaver for a very fair price of entry.

Thanks, Gus, for the very helpful and complete reply.

I agree with you on the Taiga. It's right up there with the Sailor I think. I like the Sailor's fat handle better for sure. The super high settings on both are useable, but mostly I don't need them.

I've considered buying one of the modified Progress razors but never pulled the trigger. I'm not at all sure the Progress in any form has the low end smoothness, mildness, and lack of blade feel I need ATG under my nose. Without that, I'm not interested.

Both the Sailor and the Taiga (and the Muramasa of course) have it, as does the cheap razor with no name from China I used a few days ago.

Thank you.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Razor: Vintage Gillette "Slim" (1967)
Blade: Derby Extra
Pre-shave: Proraso white
Soap: Proraso white

I used the same pre-shave prep and blade yesterday in the Merkur 34C and the results were excellent.

With the Slim, not so much. I used it on setting 3, but so far I am not really a fan of the Slim; the head just feels "clunky" and the shave is serviceable (not bad but not that good either). I may try this combo later on setting 4 to see if I get a better result.

I would rate this shave a 6.5 out of 10 (passable, socially acceptable shave).

I know the Slim is a popular razor but maybe it's just not for me; it just doesn't seem to work that well. The Merkur 34C, Edwin Jagger DE89, Razorock aluminum Lupo, and even the lowly Van Der Hagen short handle all provide me a more comfortable shave.

Razor: Vintage Gillette "Slim" (1967)
Blade: Derby Extra
Pre-shave: Proraso white
Soap: Proraso white

I used the same pre-shave prep and blade yesterday in the Merkur 34C and the results were excellent.

With the Slim, not so much. I used it on setting 3, but so far I am not really a fan of the Slim; the head just feels "clunky" and the shave is serviceable (not bad but not that good either). I may try this combo later on setting 4 to see if I get a better result.

I would rate this shave a 6.5 out of 10 (passable, socially acceptable shave).

I know the Slim is a popular razor but maybe it's just not for me; it just doesn't seem to work that well. The Merkur 34C, Edwin Jagger DE89, Razorock aluminum Lupo, and even the lowly Van Der Hagen short handle all provide me a more comfortable shave.
I know everyone won't like the same razor or get the same results, but I like the Slim cranked up to number 9. Anything lower than 5 and it's just too mild for me.

Top Bottom