What's new

First go with Arko

Thanks to a generous PIF from @Big_T (thank you!) I received an Arko shave stick.

As many of you already know, I am fairly new to DE shaving and I have not had much success with shaving soap creating enough slickness and protection for my lower neck.

So far I have tried 3 shaving soaps: Proraso (white), Col Conk almond, Williams (I shredded a puck of it with a cheese grater), and now Arko.

I don't really understand the complaints about Arko's scent (to me it just smells like soap).

Anyway: I use cream shave/gel on my lower neck as a pre-shave. Because of the pre-shave product, I don't rub the shave stick directly on my face. Instead I peel off a bit of the soap into my bowl using a vegetable peeler and lather it using my brush.

All of the soaps I have tried seem to produce a very nice lather and work fine for my face--just not my lower neck. For my lower neck, I seem to need the pre-shave. (I could use the cream shave/gel alone, but lathering the soap is more enjoyable.)

So the nice part is that I can use the cream shave/gel as a pre-shave for my lower neck, end up using less of that product per shave, and enjoy shave soap without irritating my neck. Best of both worlds!

I like all of the soaps I have tried, including Arko.

My favorite soap so far, though, is the Col. Conk almond (it has a nice scent that the LOTH likes).

I doubt I am going to get anything more expensive than any of these soaps. It's a shame that Williams seems to have been discontinued; I quite like it (I don't understand the complaint about the Williams soap scent either; I don't mind it).

There's really nothing wrong with the scent of Arko. That's a familiar scent from Turkish barber shops. Not all that different from some laundry soaps in that part of the world. It's an inexpensive soap, so you don't get an expensive scent. For some reason on the shave forums it's made into a big deal.

@Big_T

Slow Motion Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I use Arko on a regular basis along with Williams. I won't lament over Williams, suffice to say, I am sad it is gone. I also use other high end soaps. You just can't argue the bang for the buck with Arko. I generally get 2-3 months of shaves out of a stick of Arko and that makes for some cheap lather.

I purchased an Arko shave stick. I have yet to use it as the scent does not escape from the packaging.

Someone said in one of my posts about acquiring Arko that it smells like a urinal. Dont know why that person would have said that. Maybe they had a bad batch of Arko ?

So since the scent is being described as like soap - or a clean scent, would you describe it as a barber shop scent ?

I'm probably not the right person to ask, as my sense of smell is rather poor (I have perpetual allergies and some sinus issues). Perhaps this is a blessing in some ways. But Arko doesn't smell bad to me.

Also: Based on your experience @Big_T I was on a walk last night and there is a TJ Maxx store not too far from where I live. I stopped in and they had a jar of Proraso white pre-shave cream for $4. I used it for the first time this morning and I found that it provides a very nice slickness for my neck underneath the soap lather. Thanks for the recommendation!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm probably not the right person to ask, as my sense of smell is rather poor (I have perpetual allergies and some sinus issues). Perhaps this is a blessing in some ways. But Arko doesn't smell bad to me.

Also: Based on your experience @Big_T I was on a walk last night and there is a TJ Maxx store not too far from where I live. I stopped in and they had a jar of Proraso white pre-shave cream for $4. I used it for the first time this morning and I found that it provides a very nice slickness for my neck underneath the soap lather. Thanks for the recommendation!
I love it when a plan comes together!

I purchased an Arko shave stick. I have yet to use it as the scent does not escape from the packaging.

Someone said in one of my posts about acquiring Arko that it smells like a urinal. Dont know why that person would have said that. Maybe they had a bad batch of Arko ?

So since the scent is being described as like soap - or a clean scent, would you describe it as a barber shop scent ?

I wouldn't describe it as a barber shop scent. It just smells like soap to me. Perhaps commercial/industrial soap, but soap. But it is not an unpleasant scent to me.

Glad my secret works for you. $4 bucks was a steal! That stuff is $14. I paid $10 on sale.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The men's restrooms here on earth smell like that too
BUT..... in Heaven there is no need to break down protein, so there is no ammonia smell in the restroom.

Actually, by that line of reasoning, there is no peeing in Heaven, so there would be no ammonia smell, hence, no need for urinal pucks.

But I figger there are restrooms for me to go in them to check my hair on top of my incredibly handsome face on windy days.

Top Bottom