What's new

Taylor of old Bond Street Cedarwood! (First time using)

I started wet shaving a few months ago and have been using Proraso red from the start. I like it but of course I've wanted to try other soaps. I've received several already in the last couple days from Razorock, Clubman, TOBS, D.R. Harris & white Proraso. Today I tried my first TOBS. The Cedarwood soap in the tub!
First off, the scent is excellent. I like these types of scents and stay away from complex scents like citrus, mints, perfumes etc..
When I took a whiff of it, I was surprised that it smelled light. But when I lathered up, the scent became stronger and even lingered on my face for hours. I like that!

I used Proraso red aftershave and after that wore off, the Cedarwood smell was still present.
Now the performance (compared to Proraso):
It lathers quickly and it's a lather that's much richer. It's the lather that I've been looking for!
It's also much slicker than Proraso. Proraso has very little slickness. Matter if fact, when rinsing the TOBS, it took alot of water to get it off. Proraso comes off in one splash. The TOBS leaves your face moisturized where the Proraso doesn't. I really like Proraso because of the incredible Sandalwood scent but TOBS performs better overall. It's definitely superior and worth the extra $6 over the Proraso.

Next up I'll be trying the TOBS Sandalwood which I bought in the tube. If I like the Sandalwood scent, I'll probably be moving over to TOBS as my daily shave soap/cream. I think that the price & performance is very balanced in TOBS products. I'm also gonna be looking into the aftershaves as well in order to find something that matches with the soaps and creams. Let's see how D.R. Harris does as well when I try them out. I've got Lavender & Rose travel size tubes ready to be used. I'm sure they'll be a premium product as well. I've got a price limit that I want to stick to though. Max $20 per tub for my daily use soap!
So the TOBS price & performance will be perfect!

TOBS cedar is on deck for shaving tomorrow!!

taylor of old bond st cedarwood ems revisor l'occitane baux april 18 2022.jpg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I started wet shaving a few months ago and have been using Proraso red from the start. I like it but of course I've wanted to try other soaps. I've received several already in the last couple days from Razorock, Clubman, TOBS, D.R. Harris & white Proraso. Today I tried my first TOBS. The Cedarwood soap in the tub!
First off, the scent is excellent. I like these types of scents and stay away from complex scents like citrus, mints, perfumes etc..
When I took a whiff of it, I was surprised that it smelled light. But when I lathered up, the scent became stronger and even lingered on my face for hours. I like that!

I used Proraso red aftershave and after that wore off, the Cedarwood smell was still present.
Now the performance (compared to Proraso):
It lathers quickly and it's a lather that's much richer. It's the lather that I've been looking for!
It's also much slicker than Proraso. Proraso has very little slickness. Matter if fact, when rinsing the TOBS, it took alot of water to get it off. Proraso comes off in one splash. The TOBS leaves your face moisturized where the Proraso doesn't. I really like Proraso because of the incredible Sandalwood scent but TOBS performs better overall. It's definitely superior and worth the extra $6 over the Proraso.

Next up I'll be trying the TOBS Sandalwood which I bought in the tube. If I like the Sandalwood scent, I'll probably be moving over to TOBS as my daily shave soap/cream. I think that the price & performance is very balanced in TOBS products. I'm also gonna be looking into the aftershaves as well in order to find something that matches with the soaps and creams. Let's see how D.R. Harris does as well when I try them out. I've got Lavender & Rose travel size tubes ready to be used. I'm sure they'll be a premium product as well. I've got a price limit that I want to stick to though. Max $20 per tub for my daily use soap!
So the TOBS price & performance will be perfect!

Truly awesome review, exactly the kind of review that I love to read! Truth is, when you find something that you like, a brand that you like, thats when you just know, and you deep dive right into it. Truth is, if Tabac had more scents, I would have stuck with Tabac, as they have the top tier #1 slot, for best performance slickest shave soap in the land. So then I branched off to Proraso.

After taking a short deep dive into Proraso, I discovered that I like the GREEN, and the RED, but not so much their WHITE very much. I am also a fan of sandlewood, so were in agreement there of course. Eucalyptus is nice when its done right, like in essential oil. But the camphor scent is far too strong in the Proraso green products, I am not happy about that.

Caties Bubbles, I am fairly new to this brand, and I have only bought 2-scents from them, and I have yet to try the other scent yet, but will tomorrow. But the first scent I tried, was really wonderful, after I had bloomed the soap, and got it nice and lathered up in my bowl, and applied to my face. One of those soaps that smell better when wet, and not so good when dry kind of thing. Weather or not I buy more Caties Bubbles soaps, probably not going to happen until I go through them however.

Now Stirling, thats where things get quite interesting! I've only bought one Stirling soap so far, the Black Cherry. I immediately fell in love with it, as soon as I opened the lid and took a sniff of the dry puck, I was hooked! Thats always a good start, when the dry puck wins you ever. Then after blooming, whipping up a good lather, the performance was slick! Not as slick as Tabac no, but almost! Best part is, it smells better then Tabac.

So, with much deliberation, I have decided, that for the time being, all future soap purchases on my part, are going to be Stirling. Many here including you, sware by the Tobs, so thats peeking my interest as well. Again, thanks for your thorough review, it was both educational, and entertaining, much appreciated!

Truly awesome review, exactly the kind of review that I love to read! Truth is, when you find something that you like, a brand that you like, thats when you just know, and you deep dive right into it. Truth is, if Tabac had more scents, I would have stuck with Tabac, as they have the top tier #1 slot, for best performance slickest shave soap in the land. So then I branched off to Proraso.

After taking a short deep dive into Proraso, I discovered that I like the GREEN, and the RED, but not so much their WHITE very much. I am also a fan of sandlewood, so were in agreement there of course. Eucalyptus is nice when its done right, like in essential oil. But the camphor scent is far too strong in the Proraso green products, I am not happy about that.

Caties Bubbles, I am fairly new to this brand, and I have only bought 2-scents from them, and I have yet to try the other scent yet, but will tomorrow. But the first scent I tried, was really wonderful, after I had bloomed the soap, and got it nice and lathered up in my bowl, and applied to my face. One of those soaps that smell better when wet, and not so good when dry kind of thing. Weather or not I buy more Caties Bubbles soaps, probably not going to happen until I go through them however.

Now Stirling, thats where things get quite interesting! I've only bought one Stirling soap so far, the Black Cherry. I immediately fell in love with it, as soon as I opened the lid and took a sniff of the dry puck, I was hooked! Thats always a good start, when the dry puck wins you ever. Then after blooming, whipping up a good lather, the performance was slick! Not as slick as Tabac no, but almost! Best part is, it smells better then Tabac.

So, with much deliberation, I have decided, that for the time being, all future soap purchases on my part, are going to be Stirling. Many here including you, sware by the Tobs, so thats peeking my interest as well. Again, thanks for your thorough review, it was both educational, and entertaining, much appreciated!
Your welcome!
Here is something interesting though. I took a whiff of my tube of TOBS Sandalwood and hated it, Lol!
It smells like pure soap. Proraso's Sandalwood is definitely king. So for sandalwood, I'll be strictly using Proraso. But I still have to try TOBS lavender & rose. Hopefully they're as good as the Cedarwood.

I am going through a sampler pack of Taylor of Old Bond Street soaps now. I must say that all the soap performed extremely well. Definitely a quality soap. So the only thing that was left to evaluate was the scent. Some of the soaps I liked the scent of and others I did not.

I liked:
Cedarwood
Mr. Taylor
Grapefruit
Rose
Avocado

I didn't like:
Sandalwood (their version, I do like Proraso Red scent)
Almond
Coconut

The others were okay.
Eton College
Jermyn Street
Lavender

But whatever scent, it doesn't last that long.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I am going through a sampler pack of Taylor of Old Bond Street soaps now. I must say that all the soap performed extremely well. Definitely a quality soap. So the only thing that was left to evaluate was the scent. Some of the soaps I liked the scent of and others I did not.

I liked:
Cedarwood
Mr. Taylor
Grapefruit
Rose
Avocado

I didn't like:
Almond
Coconut

The others were okay.
Eton College
Jermyn Street
Lavender

A shaving soap scent shouldn't last very long after rinsing the face off. But let me tell you what, if you use Tabac shaving soap, you will be smelling that for several hours after the shave is over. It just depends on the soap, they are all different.

A shaving soap scent shouldn't last very long after rinsing the face off. But let me tell you what, if you use Tabac shaving soap, you will be smelling that for several hours after the shave is over. It just depends on the soap, they are all different.
Tabac is great stuff - you just need to air it out to mellow the fragrance.
I can't hang with the aftershave splash though

Your welcome!
Here is something interesting though. I took a whiff of my tube of TOBS Sandalwood and hated it, Lol!
It smells like pure soap. Proraso's Sandalwood is definitely king. So for sandalwood, I'll be strictly using Proraso. But I still have to try TOBS lavender & rose. Hopefully they're as good as the Cedarwood.
Sandalwood is such a subjective fragrance due to the variances of oil used or not used.

Proraso and AOS are very similar to me in aroma.
Truefitt and Hill smells more subtle and gentlemanly.
TOBS is different for sure, I get what you mean by soapy in fragrance.
I suspect that Barrister and Mann's Sandalwood is going to come off fruity and more cedar after reading his description.
(I'm not a fan of PV nor Passiflora btw)

I liked:
Cedarwood
Mr. Taylor
Grapefruit
Rose
Avocado

I didn't like:
Almond
Coconut

The others were okay.
Eton College
Jermyn Street
Lavender

St James is my favorite.
I can't get to liking Eton College.

I get my lavender fix from Truefitt and Hill's Ultimate Comfort

Last edited:
Not much love for TOBS Sandalwood 🤔. I think it’s TOBS best scent. INHO it’s right up there with Art of Shaving and St. James of London’s Sandalwood and Bergamot. Truly ymmv is true here.

Not much love for TOBS Sandalwood 🤔. I think it’s TOBS best scent. INHO it’s right up there with Art of Shaving and St. James of London’s Sandalwood and Bergamot. Truly ymmv is true here.
Definitely YMMV! I tried again to smell some from the tube and can't take the scent. Maybe I'll just try it out in a shave and see what happens. I might get a different perspective when it lathers up. It just smells so different than the Proraso red and I love that one so much that it's hard to compare the Proraso to any other Sandalwood.

I really love the scent of TOBS Sandalwood, and I like the TOBS Cedarwood as well. I use Proraso Red as well and I find it inferior in both scent and performance to both the TOBS creams. I find Proraso requires more product and more water to create the same amount of lather as TOBS.

TOBS Sandlewood needs lathering up for the scent to be released so to speak. And then it can even last for days, especially on a badger brush. My wife did not take it either by the way. It is really distinct and in your face first thing in the morning. I personally like the soapier smell of Proraso Green. And there is even witch hazel in their splash as well. Definitely agree with the slickness and residu @LRod.

Sterling is amazing. I have executive men as balm and if my shop restocked their soap will be on my purchase list.

I have a sample of Jermyn Street by TOBS coming in today so ready for use tomorrow perhaps.

But soaps and creams are so YMMV that even with reviews it is a shot in the dark if it fits you or not. To be honest I had that with Proraso too - if I had went with TOBS first who knows.

I started off with De Vergulde Hand from the Netherlands. Why? Because it is available everywhere and my dad used to use it. Nowadays I am a Proraso guy mostly. But I also said I would stick to Gillette for a razor for similar reasons, but the Italians got to me again and I like my Fatip!

So even MMMV on top of YMMV :)

Last edited:
Just my two cents, but I think a good pairing of cream to shaving lotion is TOBS Sandalwood cream with Pinaud Whisky Woods. A good pairing of TOBS Cedarwood cream is the Chiseled Face Cedar & Spice shaving lotion.

Just my two cents, but I think a good pairing of cream to shaving lotion is TOBS Sandalwood cream with Pinaud Whisky Woods. A good pairing of TOBS Cedarwood cream is the Chiseled Face Cedar & Spice shaving lotion.
Which Chiseled face is Cedar and spice? All the ones I see have names but none say Cedar. Also, I only see splashes but no lotions.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Nevermind, I found it!
I guess West Coast shaving doesn't have it but I found it on the Chiseled face website.

There's a website called Chiseled Face? Like for real? If so, those folks over there have a sense of humor let me tell you! I supposed, if you had a chisel that was sharpened enough, to be as sharp as a razor blade, it could technically be used to shave with. But hmm, since I was taught by my father to use the right tool for the right job, I don't think I would take the chance of chiseling my skin off thank you very much!

Sometimes I see people using socket wrenches as hammers, simply because they were too lazy to get up and grab a hammer. I am like dude, your going to kill that wrench dude, its got tiny gears inside, it aint made for hammering. lol! :lol:

Wholeheartedly agree with you. The new super formula of proraso is much (MUCH) better than the old formula imo but still I think TOBS is better. You use less cream and the lather produced is better. I've used almost all of the TOBS lineup and all of the DRH lineup and TOBS cedarwood and DRH sandalwood were my favourites of the wood scents. TOBS sandalwood is not a pure sandalwood and just fell short for me. Aloe Vera (now discontinued) was my favourite TOBS cream. Their splashes and lotions (At least here in Australia) are horrifically overpriced imo. The St. James of London gel is quite nice but weak to mildly scented (though I can't speak to their cedarwood or sandalwood scent specifically.)

I just started this DE shaving thing January. My first 2 shave creams were Proraso green and TOOBS sandalwood. First impressions, when I opened the tubs, I liked Proraso better than the TOOBS. But upon using them both, I much prefer the scent and larger of the TOOBS. The TOOBS scent really does evolve with a hot brush and bowl. The Proraso takes a lot more effort to get a lather, and then it’s just kinda meh. It’s under the sink for if I run out of the other stuff.

Since I'm to the bottom of my TOOBS tub now, I ordered another sandalwood to try - I selected the Barrister & Mann. Wow! Not that smells like the sandalwood I remember, from childhood. The scent lingers too, and the bathroom stays smelling wonderful. Im quite happy with it. It smells nothing like the TOOBS, but I do still like them both. B&M has a lavender I’d like to try, and I’d like to try the TOOBS cedar.

Which vendor has a nice array of samples? I can’t drop $100 on creams all at once. What I may do is buy my new creams when I get to the bottom of the tub but still have several shaved left. That way I’ll build my own collection of comparators over time.

It’s nice I don’t need to do this with razors and blades, I’m thoroughly pleased with the Henson AL13 & Feather blades.

Top Bottom