What's new

First One On My Own

Woke up early enough to have a couple of hours before work today and completed a Tenjyou progression. I can't get the bevel in a phone pic. Maybe when it's all done I'll try with a camera. Coming along well so far.

razor2.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Finished the progression today on Tomo, stropped, and got a very good, comfortable shave. I can't say I know what a perfect shave is, but I've got nothing but time. I'll be working on my ability to make "that blade" until the cows come home.
I'm still trying for that "perfect shave". I think I have gotten there and then latter I will experience an even more perfect shave. As things develop, these more perfect shaves just become less frequent, but they still come.

Like riding a motorcycle, it's all about the journey, not the destination.

Finished the progression today on Tomo, stropped, and got a very good, comfortable shave. I can't say I know what a perfect shave is, but I've got nothing but time. I'll be working on my ability to make "that blade" until the cows come home.
As long as you constantly experiment you will learn new things. The more experience you get and more things you learn the better your edge(and shaving technique) will get, even if the progress is slow. The more stones I get to where I *feel* I'm getting to mastering them the more I notice "personality"(skin feel) of each stone and how they differ. Learning about this effect has been a game changer for tools in my work life. Finishing on different stones that are effectively the same "grit"(for a natural) but the edges have different feels and different applications that they seem to be suited to. I think india>washita>trans ark are probably the best general progression for tools to, me but for delicate work that mistakes can't be fixed(like etching/ wood/ leather carving) slates make good finishers because they don't have the same teeth as a Washita and I have less fear of gouging or splitting those finer projects.

Thanks @Empire straights I’m with you. It really IS all about experimenting. I’m lucky that my mentor taught me so much. Some directly stated and some inferred. I know this much—when I am told something on the forum that makes sense; many times the concept was already made clear by my mentor.

Thank you!!

Top Bottom