What's new

Post shave slickness - what am I'm missing?

I keep hearing this attribute talked about when rating soaps, but typically after I apply an aftershave (oily balms not included) my face feels more sticky than slick. Anyone else get this?

After rinsing between passes (I don't always do this) and after a final rinse my face is very slick from the soap though. Is this the "post shave slickness" we all talk about? That's the feeling I want!

What am I missing?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I think what they mean is your face is smooth after a shave, so ya, slick for slang for smooth shave I am guessing. Cause, I agree, if you rinse your face thoroughly, there should be no slickness after your done. Now, even after applying an aftershave balm, my face is only slick for maybe a minute until product fully absorbed, then its back to normal skin consistency.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I've never heard of post shave sickness. Some soaps provide a much better post shave feel than others. Your skin just looks and feels so much better than it did before the shave. Is that what you're talking about? There's also "residual slickness" but that's not about post shave.

After rinsing between passes (I don't always do this) and after a final rinse my face is very slick from the soap though. Is this the "post shave slickness" we all talk about?

The slickness from the soap when you rinse is called "residual slickness" and is a quality I value in a soap. Others don't.

Soaps with a lot of residual slickness make it easier to ensure that there is plenty of glide for the razor. Just wetting my fingers and touching my face will give me enough lubrication to do some touch up without having to re-lather my face with the brush.

But you want to rinse it off when the shave is done.

There is no "post shave slickness" but there is "residual slickness", it is the slickness that stays on your face after your pass. But I don't consider it a measure of how good soap is. Re-apply lather and continue shaving. Some people say that a soap has so much residual slickness they could do another pass...great I am still going to re-lather thank you very much

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I keep hearing this attribute talked about when rating soaps, but typically after I apply an aftershave (oily balms not included) my face feels more sticky than slick. Anyone else get this?

After rinsing between passes (I don't always do this) and after a final rinse my face is very slick from the soap though. Is this the "post shave slickness" we all talk about? That's the feeling I want!

What am I missing?
All aftershaves?

All aftershaves?

Great question! - I held off on all of those details in my original post but here goes...

What I currently rotate through:

Proraso aftershave splash (red and green)

Dr. Johns Hydra aftershave tonic

Barrister and Mann reserve aftershave splash

Jack Black post shave cooling gel (I don't like this at all and seems to be the most "tacky" after applying so I am trying to use it up asap)

WhollyKaw Eroe aftershave tonic (this is new and I believe contains no alcohol so I am hopeful)

WhollyKaw Fougere mania and Eroe (the balms, which are awesome and will turn any dry surface into a slick one)

Supply aftershave tonic (also no alcohol I believe. this has a surprisingly great scent and feel, especially the original, but I recall getting an initial sticky feeling after applying it as well)

I know that alcohol-based products are drying (though I do like that burn for whatever reason), so I am experimenting with non-alcohol based solutions.

What is strange is that after applying most aftershave products, the tackiness is followed 10 minutes or so later by a pleasant oily smooth feel. I assume this is my skin's natural oils coming through, but it would be great for the soap slickness to stick around!

There is absolutely such thing as post-shave slickness. Some soaps leave a slippery feeling even after you've finished the shave and rinsed your face several times.

(If you don't know what this feels like, think of showering at someone's house that uses water softener salts. Or of handling baking soda or bleach. Slickness that won't rinse away.)

I don't know what produces the lingering slickness in certain shave soaps. It could be this same process on your skin, or it could be any number of ingredients added for this purpose. But if you like it, seek it out. Others may have recommendations.

Just use shaving oil for you final pass. Which also, for me, enables me to trim and tidy up the hair line/sideburns as you can actually 'see' the hairline

Eben Stone

Staff member
Symptoms are a smooth face
and depending on what aftershave you use
sometimes there's a nice smell too. ;)
Thanks for clarifying.

I guess it's not something I've paid much attention to until reading this thread. I'm more concerned about residual slickness (for buffing strokes).

Using Captain's Choice my face feels very slick afterwards. No matter how much I try to rinse it off it's still there.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
There are several soaps that actually leave my skin with a very light sheen after rinsing and drying. That’s why I don’t apply anything else to my face post shave. It’s not over the top, greasy or oily looking, but a distinct healthy shine, subtle but noticeable. Both tallow and veg based soaps do this, but not all leave that distinctive face feel. Pleasant.

To be clear (and fair that my soaps), I enjoy a good deal of slickness after a final rinse. It's just that it seems like it is lost with aftershave (alcohol based I presume).

If that's the case, it's a bummer because I really enjoy that burn...

More non-alcoholic products are in order! (Beer excluded)

I usually apply a post shave moisturiser to maintain skin condition. Never had post shave slickness after the final rinse and I never expected it.

¡Creo que ahí es cuando te sientes mal porque la experiencia ha terminado por el día!😂

For sensitive skin I use this.

Nivea Men Sensitive After Shave Balm, 125ml

Or this balm LA TOJA 7 in 1

La Toja - Protect 7 Balm, Alcohol-free and with micro oils and exclusive mineral salts - 100ml

https://amzn.eu/d/cRK8263

This is my last purchase from yesterday.

IMG-20220619-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom