What's new

Bought my "grail" razor, not in expected condition. What now?

You're kidding, right Adam?

Wasn't me saying "plastic, what could go wrong." But, yes, re: boiling metal.

Let's look at this from a chemical perspective. Unless you add a solvent to the water, boiling a metal razor for 5 minutes will not react with the metal. It's chemically impossible.

Now, if you insist on adding a solvent to the water, all bets are off. But, plain liquid H2O, no matter how hot it is, will not damage a metal razor.

Think about it from this perspective: what causes the most damage to metal over time? I'm going to bet that the main factors causing damage are from chemical reactions- especially from perspiration- and friction. After all, now matter how insignificant the chemical reaction from perspiration + damage from friction are in the moment, the combined effect of each over literally decades is likely to cause some change in the metal. Boiling metal for 5 minutes will not damage it. What it will do is kill any bacteria that may have built up over the decades.

Now, could you use something like rubbing alcohol or the like to disinfect a vintage razor? Of course. Clearly, you would prefer this approach. As for me, boiling is both less expensive than buying a bottle of rubbing alcohol for each time I buy a new razor, and I'd say that using any solvent is likely to react more with the metal than boiling water.

Note: the above comments apply to stainless steel and other metals that do not oxidise easily. Obviously, were a razor made of, say, wrought iron, this advice does not apply. Not sure I've ever seen a wrought iron razor, though. And, equally obvious, boiling a razor constructed of material that does not stand up to heat- for instance, plastic or wood- would be inadvisable.

For the cap, it's zamak, can't really do anything with it. Keep it dry between shaves, it will last a few decades.
Next step look out for a Wardonia Declic.
Hello,

The Declic is my Wardonia holy grail.
Does anyone know what happened to Nigel Sharp's Wardonia website?

Cheers
John

unless the safety razor was described as immaculate or as new, then you really gotta be realistic buying vintage safety razors.

For me it's part of the enjoyment of having the surprise of how it will clean up. I have bought ones cheaply that looked rough and they cleaned up almost mint - there have been others I paid a bit over the odds which turned up and were less than expected; it's that swings & roundabout at times, plus part of the learning curve.

As others have said. Sellers are getting stung by people trying it on - so ultimately less genuine people will bother. So all you'll end up with is unscrupulous sellers or safety razors priced at a premium.

Easiest fix, start hunting for another in better condition. If it‘s a sentimental thing, then send off for $100-$200 revamp.

The good thing of a Wardonia standard razor is that I can use the baseplate with other razor. I out a Fatip Grande handle and cap and the shave was simply fantastic! The razor is more beautiful than the original also. This razor was a winner albeit a bit expensive.

Yes, the reason is that it is very rare. Mine was much cheaper and same head. I kept it.

Very rare? I just found at least 5 on the bay going for $15-$20 each. Most folks use the term ''rare razor'' a lot, while in fact 99% of the razors are either common or uncommon at best. A Bottom Dial Fatboy for instance is a rare razor.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Almost all Wardonia razors take their own proprietary blades but there are some rare examples that take standard blades; it is the latter type to which the OP is referring.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Almost all Wardonia razors take their own proprietary blades but there are some rare examples that take standard blades; it is the latter type to which the OP is referring.
Yes. The ones you found @Medivh likely have the guide pins closer to the handle. Look closely.

Yes. The ones you found @Medivh likely have the guide pins closer to the handle. Look closely.

Aren't any of these like the one op is talking about? I can't see it very clear underneath, but both of these look very similar to me.

s-l160023232.jpg
s-l1600323232.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Remember the Wardonia blade has a slot.

1650136591816.png

Wide pins, narrow pins, whatever it takes so long as the customer can't use Gillette or other standard blades.

What about the one on the third photo? The pins are a bit far away compared to the other two.
Look pretty wide.

I hope these pics you're showing aren't referenced from "live" eBay auctions and are Buy-it-Now only.

Remember the Wardonia blade has a slot.

View attachment 1440941

Wide pins, narrow pins, whatever it takes so long as the customer can't use Gillette or other standard blades.

Look pretty wide.

I hope these pics you're showing aren't referenced from "live" eBay auctions and are Buy-it-Now only.

The one with the red case/box is buy now for 22 British pounds. If people are really paying more than $100 for these razors, I might start hunting them :D.

Top Bottom