What's new

Brotherhood of Unscented Gentlemen Shavers

I've never noticed any rancid or "off" smell from any of my unscented soaps. Once I open a tub I never put the lid back on unless I'm travelling with it.

Hello, and well wishes to you all! Happy to be here 😃 I use unscented products for almost everything, due to a combination of allergies and neurological sensory issues.

Currently, I am finalizing my starter shaving kit to begin DE shaving for the first time. For soaps, I made a huge list of unscented shaving soap options (feel free to DM if more information would be helpful), then cut out soaps with my personal kryptonite ingredients, then considered cost and ease of availability, and then finally curated based on general reviews/feedback regarding performance.

It's much too early to arrive at a conclusion without a larger sample size, but what I'm finding so far: the soap pucks without tallow seem to absorb fragrances (smelling distinctly like an amalgamation of scent traces from other soaps) far more than the tallow soaps, which maintain their unscentedness very well.

I'd be curious what your experiences are with that?

Best regards your way!

Hello, and well wishes to you all! Happy to be here 😃 I use unscented products for almost everything, due to a combination of allergies and neurological sensory issues.

Currently, I am finalizing my starter shaving kit to begin DE shaving for the first time. For soaps, I made a huge list of unscented shaving soap options (feel free to DM if more information would be helpful), then cut out soaps with my personal kryptonite ingredients, then considered cost and ease of availability, and then finally curated based on general reviews/feedback regarding performance.

It's much too early to arrive at a conclusion without a larger sample size, but what I'm finding so far: the soap pucks without tallow seem to absorb fragrances (smelling distinctly like an amalgamation of scent traces from other soaps) far more than the tallow soaps, which maintain their unscentedness very well.

Best regards your way!
Sounds like a very systematic approach! Looking forward to hearing how you like it.
Thanks for posting!

Best regards your way!
Sounds like you are on a journey of discovery. I have not noticed that non- tallow soaps absorb scents of other soaps, but what you say could be true. But now that you mention it, I did order some MdC unscented a very long time ago and they included a very pungent lavender hand soap and for the longest time the shaving soap carried the same scent. I look forward to updates on your final selection. There are some incredible unscented products on the market. You should consult the undisputed King of Unscented @MaineYooper for his top picks.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've tried only a few unscented soaps, and way more than a few scented soaps.

4-12-22.RV-DO1.CK-6.Konsul.640.JPG

CK-6 is very hard to beat in my experience.

Happy shaves,

Jim

So grateful for everyone's responses and knowledge!!

Sounds like a very systematic approach

Thanks! You know how the hunt goes 😆 I would be extremely interested in your insights and expertise, regarding where you've currently landed for unscented products, if you're up for it?

There are some incredible unscented products on the market

Really appreciate it! If you're good with sharing, I am all ears for what you've found in your own journey of discovery 😃

CK-6 is very hard to beat in my experience.

Happy shaves

Thank you 😁 CK-6 was one I had been so excited about with all the glowing reviews, but unfortunately cocoa butter/theobromas are on the no-go list for me! Are there any in your experience that begin to approach it?

@Rusty Blade is too generous in his praise! But thanks, Rusty, for the shout out! And @Chan Eil Whiskers is correct, the Scentsless CK-6 is fast becoming a must always have soap in my drawer!

@WalkingSongs, since you asked, here are my thoughts. And I am very much looking forward to your thoughts on what you find and use!

Soaps, like all else in this hobby/obsession, are very subjective to the user. There are some that I tried and would love to use again but sadly are no longer made. And there are some that I used and didn’t get along with as well as others. And of course there are some that will always be in my soap drawer as long as they are made.

Here is a list I compiled mostly for myself, but with prompting from Rusty, I put more notes into it. The order is just how they came to mind using my log as a prompt. And any “rating” is solely my own. Others will disagree based on their experience. So given that caveat, here is the list so far.

Since 2015, I have tried numerous unscented soaps. Why unscented? My wife has severe allergies and sinus issues, and strong or unpleasant scents (to her) will trigger a sinus headache or migraine. I can make a list of the soaps I have tried sometime, but in 2019 I stopped buying and used up what I had, settling on the Top Three soaps for me. These three will always be stocked in my shave kit. They are, in order of discovery, Mystic Water Soaps Sensitive Skin (11/2015), Mike’s Natural Soap Unscented (1/2016), and Shannon’s Soaps Nil (2/2016). What follows will be based on my experience and preferences. You have been warned!

Here are my thoughts. The order is sort of alphabetical by maker.
  1. Canada shaving soap: This is my most expensive soap, $41 CAD, plus $15 shipping. It is a hard soap, and the tub is filled to the rim, 175g of soap. It has only 6 ingredients, non-tallow, and a compelling story Our Story - Canada Shaving Soap. It lathers very fast, and since filled to the rim, I make a mess. I find loading 30 seconds and adding water makes a great lather. I am on the fence on this one. It leaves me feeling good, but the cost keeps bugging me. On the positive side, after using it almost 3 dozen times (lately I am using it to break in a boar brush), it hardly shows any sign of use! So maybe the price, averaged over the soap’s life, will make it worth it. But for now, I won’t buy again, but that is only due to cost.
  2. Ethos Clean: Second most expensive soap, $34 USD, and tallow based. I liked the description, I have read the reviews of the scented version, but I don’t think it works any better than Mystic Water Soap for post-shave face feel, and performance is not better than any I have. So this is another Don’t Buy Again.
  3. Haslinger Aloe Vera: another hard soap, very inexpensive, and a light aloe scent. I have not used it more than 10 times, so the jury is out on it. Initial response is Meh.
  4. House of Mammoth Z: tallow, 4 oz, $22 USD. A self-billed luxury soap. I like it, and plan to Buy Again.
  5. Hub City Birthday Suit: tallow, 4 oz, and good stuff for skin. I like this one a lot, even after first use, my notes show I loved it. Lathers easily and abundantly, creamy, slick, etc. Water added can of course vary the lather, but this one Wowwed me right away. Buy Again.
  6. Lakewood Soap Co revisited (11/6/21). Tallow, 5 oz. $17.50 USD. Performed well, but pricey. Didn’t outshine any of my top soaps, so I don’t see this as a buy again. Meh.
  7. Mike’s Natural Soap: tallow, 4 oz, available as refill puck or in tub $12 USD tub). A great soap, ideal lather, very good post-shave feel. Buy Again.
  8. Mitchell’s Wool Fat: tallow, hard soap, has a light scent that I am uncertain about. I used it once, and am currently airing it out in the furnace room, seeing if I can’t reduce that light, sort of powdery yet clean smell. If I can smell it, my wife will most certainly. Not enough time with soap, but scent probably means Don’t Buy Again.
  9. Mystic Water Soap Sensitive Skin: tallow, 4oz puck or tub ($14.15 USD). This is my Gold Standard, Buy Again soap. Great lather, I like the smell (only from ingredients, no fragrance added) and wonderful post-shave feel.
  10. Noble Otter Bare: tallow, 4 oz, $14 USD. Impressed me from the first time I used it. Definitely a Buy Again.
  11. Shannon’s Soaps Nil: tallow, 4 oz, $11.95 USD for a tub. Awesomeness in a tub. Easy lather, great slickness, a Mary Poppins of shave soaps (Practically Perfect in every way!) Buy Again, don’t wait!
  12. Stirling Beeswax: tallow, 5.8 oz, $14 USD. First use didn’t wow me, but this soap won me over, to where I now love it! I think I didn’t add enough water on first use, or the razor was rough and I blamed the soap. Subsequent uses changed my mind dramatically. Buy Again.
  13. Stirling Naked and Smooth: as above. I had a sample back in early 2016 and I didn’t care for it. I was gifted a puck earlier this year, and still not impressed. I gifted it as well. Meh.
  14. Stirling Sheep: tallow, lanolin, shea butter. $14 USD, 5.8 oz. Another home run from Stirling. And the ONLY company I know of that makes THREE unscented soaps. I love two of them. Buy Again.
  15. Vintage Williams: tallow, a hard soap, price varies, no longer made as tallow. Age diminished all fragrance to having no detectable odor. Lathered well, but just Meh.
  16. Zingari Man unscented: tallow, 5 oz, $21 USD. Top of the food chain per website, great lather and post-shave. Buy Again.
There you have it, my current soaps and thoughts. The final tally is 3 Don’t Buy Again, 4 Meh, and 9 Buy Again. [November 6, 2021]
  1. Here are my initial thoughts, after 4 uses of Sir Henry's/Black Tie #13: This is a nice soap! 4 oz, and priced at $14 USD. I was impressed at the first lathering and am still impressed. Not meh, but with so many wonderful soaps, I simply can't buy them all! I would probably place this one with Hub City, Shannon's, and Noble Otter, which I guess means I may Buy Again! (10/27/21)
  2. PAA Scentsless (Formula CK-6). Non-tallow (made from premium veg fats), $25 USD for 5 oz. This stuff is awesome, worth every penny!
  3. Bartigan & Stark Nil. Liking this a lot so far.
  4. Sheermonik Pur. Have it but haven’t tried it yet.
  5. Martin de Candre Nature. Two shaves in on a sample and liking it so far.

Some that I loved and no longer are made:
Phoenix and Beau unscented
Barrister & Mann White label unscented

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So grateful for everyone's responses and knowledge!!

Thanks! You know how the hunt goes 😆 I would be extremely interested in your insights and expertise, regarding where you've currently landed for unscented products, if you're up for it?

Really appreciate it! If you're good with sharing, I am all ears for what you've found in your own journey of discovery 😃

Thank you 😁 CK-6 was one I had been so excited about with all the glowing reviews, but unfortunately cocoa butter/theobromas are on the no-go list for me! Are there any in your experience that begin to approach it?

No, but I have little experience with the scentless soaps, and less reading the ingredients lists.

Edit: Vitos Red Cocco left to air out is damn scentless to my nose (left to air out for a month).

VitosRed.Box.Sticker-on-End.Coco.5-1-20.480.JPG

It is an excellent soap. Also extremely inexpensive by the kilo. Don't know the ingredients.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just read through the entire thread. I don't use "unscented" soaps.... not ones labeled to be without scent, but I don't like any strong smelling soaps. I asked around in a couple of other threads and got some sound advice. I'll post some of the replies. I had asked for "not-in-your-face" scents and these are some of the replies:
Baume.be shaving cream
Lightly scented, easy to lather, moderate price (shop around) and without much objection, the second highest performing cream on the market. I guess if you want to go cheaper, there are a half dozen European creams that you can find good recommendations for. By European, I don’t mean British!:001_tt2:

Castle Forbes is a great cream. It’s very concentrated and quite thirsty. It whips up into a dense stable lather that’s stick and moisturizing. Pretty big hydration window. The scents are nice but I’m afraid they probably fall into the ‘in your face’ camp.

Fitjar Islands is a much milder scent. I’ve only tried Fjellheim. Very natural and woodsy. Some have complained about lack of slickness but I think it performs very well. Like DR Harris it works best when you use more product and don’t drown the lather with water.

Baume, MWF, Klar, and Fitjar Islands are all lightly scented.

Musgo Real, SV, Castle Forbes, SMN and AdP are all pretty strong.

MdC, DR Harris, Haslinger and Speick are somewhere in the middle.

It’s counterintuitive but starting at the top and working your way down is the cheapest way to go with soaps.

It's a hard cream, just so you know. I didn't when I got it. You pretty much have to go into the jar with a damp brush and it takes more water(outside the jar) than other creams. It still has the advantage of not really needing any special technique to lather, just takes a little longer. I am currently on track to get 200 shaves out of the jar, just so you know. Try the pre-shave gel, I won't live without it.
I have psoriatic arthritis which gives me red spots on my face if I leave certain soaps on my face too long. I've found that the very lightly scented soaps work better for me.

I ended buying the Baume.be Pre-Shave and Shaving Cream.... I've used that combination twice now... best two shaves of my life. I didn't break out at all. Very light to non-existent scent for me. I don't have the most sensitive sense of smell... but my wife tells me, the scent is very light. I trust her for these things. ;)

I have some Fitjar Islands Fjellheim on the way.

The only other comment I wanted to add was smaller containers for travel. My wife bought these to contain the facial balms she makes for her rosacea. I have some cream in a tin that's hard to open and close so I just transferred some into one of these. Problem solved: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078Z25H7J/

here are my thoughts

Wow, thank you SO much!!! I will keep a lookout if you find yourself updating your notes with additional information! This is incredible and incredibly helpful! 🎉

Might the Martin de Candre cost be worth the yield, or is it following the Canada Shaving Soap route?

What soaps are next on your radar these days?

left to air out for a month

Very interesting, that is a great timeframe to work from, if the soaps that didn't pass the initial sniff test can successfully air out longer. Really appreciate it!

I have some cream in a tin that's hard to open and close so I just transferred some into one of these. Problem solved

Awesome tips in your post, thanks for sharing 😃 And so happy for you that you've found something that works so well! Curious to know how you find the Fitjar base performance.

It's nice that there's a place to discuss unscentedness, thank you everyone 😆 This is such helpful and appreciated guidance and content.

The two hard soaps I have that passed within range of my initial sniff test are Sir Henry’s “Black Tie No. 13 Unscented Shaving Soap” and Eleven “Unscented Shave Soap”. The tubed Pacific Shaving Co “Clean Shave Cream” passed too.

As long as one of those works out, I'll learn on it. But, if not, or as I finish current supplies, I'll boost Zingari Man “Unscented Shave Soap” (thank you @MaineYooper !) and Highland Springs “Shaving Soap Silence Unscented” (thank you @Seelector !) to the top of my list next. If I ever try a softer soap, then the Stirling Soap Co “Unscented with Beeswax Shave Soap” (if I'm understanding correctly that it is softer than others?).

Haven't figured out if it's just throwing money away to search for a hard vegan shaving soap that doesn't run into the issues for me personally that 3/3 have. I did realize they were all variations of coconut oil + shea butter (seems to be a combo that gets good reviews 😜), so my next move on this front would consider different compositions. Since @Rusty Blade found that the Martin de Candre took on the lavender sampler scent (grateful you shared your experiences, and for your other recommendations!), perhaps I'd avoid the only coconut oil options as well, to start...not sure. Looking at my spreadsheet, the ones so far that would meet those criteria, in addition to others of my own requirements, are lesser discussed, haha:

If I pursue any of these, then unless I encounter issues with tallow residue or emerging 'gaminess', it would be later on, after I've passed through the steepest of learning curves. Though, if anyone happens to have any experience with those (or their bases), I'm all ears! And for any other insights or experiences anyone is inclined to share.

I have taken to shaving more with Unscented soaps and gathering scented aftershave slashes and balms. My theory is that I enjoy the process and skill it takes to make a lather more than the smell (in most cases) and it’s cheaper to just buy the splash and enjoy a good quality soap base for what it is. Stirling Sheep has been the absolute best for me.

While I still like my scented soaps (Tabac, Speick, SV Tundra Artica, Stirling Varen), I find that lately I'm appreciating my unscented ones a lot more than I used to. Canada Shaving Soap is basically perfect, in my opinion, and Stirling Sheep is very nice as well.

It's nice that there's a place to discuss unscentedness, thank you everyone 😆 This is such helpful and appreciated guidance and content.

The two hard soaps I have that passed within range of my initial sniff test are Sir Henry’s “Black Tie No. 13 Unscented Shaving Soap” and Eleven “Unscented Shave Soap”. The tubed Pacific Shaving Co “Clean Shave Cream” passed too.

As long as one of those works out, I'll learn on it. But, if not, or as I finish current supplies, I'll boost Zingari Man “Unscented Shave Soap” (thank you @MaineYooper !) and Highland Springs “Shaving Soap Silence Unscented” (thank you @Seelector !) to the top of my list next. If I ever try a softer soap, then the Stirling Soap Co “Unscented with Beeswax Shave Soap” (if I'm understanding correctly that it is softer than others?).

Haven't figured out if it's just throwing money away to search for a hard vegan shaving soap that doesn't run into the issues for me personally that 3/3 have. I did realize they were all variations of coconut oil + shea butter (seems to be a combo that gets good reviews 😜), so my next move on this front would consider different compositions. Since @Rusty Blade found that the Martin de Candre took on the lavender sampler scent (grateful you shared your experiences, and for your other recommendations!), perhaps I'd avoid the only coconut oil options as well, to start...not sure. Looking at my spreadsheet, the ones so far that would meet those criteria, in addition to others of my own requirements, are lesser discussed, haha:

If I pursue any of these, then unless I encounter issues with tallow residue or emerging 'gaminess', it would be later on, after I've passed through the steepest of learning curves. Though, if anyone happens to have any experience with those (or their bases), I'm all ears! And for any other insights or experiences anyone is inclined to share.
It is remarkable how many new unscented shave soaps there are on the market today. Only a few years ago there were very few available. Same goes for unscented AS and ASBs.

Fantastic post @MaineYooper! My wife also has sinus issues and is very sensitive to smells so I go for unscented soaps. After 13 years of marriage and everything in our house being unscented, I have to say that I find almost anything scented to smell very artificial.

I’m due for a new soap soon, so I’ll be putting your list to good use.

Here’s a picture of my Canada Shaving Soap (left) and Highland Springs Silence. I’ve done 38 shaves with Canada and 77 with Highland. From the looks of it I’ll be lucky to get 100 shaves from Highland but 200 easy from Canada.

9D9C4708-1CB7-45E3-84E8-C606EDA88637.jpeg

My stick of Arko is also running low… are there any unscented shave sticks out there?

Another good one is Soap Commander Integrity. It is non tallow, but I don't know if that makes it vegan. It is a harder soap, but not super hard.

Your posts are very informative and I like that!

And this week Black Tie #13 is on deck for the upcoming week!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It does come out less expensive when I calculate the price per ounce.
Yeah.... I wanted to buy from them directly so they'd see more profits... but it's $12 more per to buy from them instead of Amazon.... for the same quantity.... that's quite a premium. Right around 27% more to buy direct... if my math is right.

The price of the soap itself is very reasonable....

Top Bottom