What's new

Classics not to be missed?

Lots of great soaps out there. The following classics are tough to beat.

DR Harris (hard soap)
Haslinger
Klar Seifen
Mitchells Wool Fat
Martin de Candre
Musgo Real (cream)
Santa Maria Novella
Saponificio Varesino
Speick (classic cream or stick)

The following ‘modern classics’ are also worth a try.

Acqua di Parma
Baume
Castle Forbes
Fitjar Islands

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Lots of great soaps out there. The following classics are tough to beat.

DR Harris (hard soap)
Haslinger
Klar Seifen
Mitchells Wool Fat
Martin de Candre
Musgo Real (cream)
Santa Maria Novella
Saponificio Varesino
Speick (classic cream or stick)

The following ‘modern classics’ are also worth a try.

Acqua di Parma
Baume
Castle Forbes
Fitjar Islands
Since you just mentioned them... what are your experiences (and anyone else's) with both Castle Forbes and Fitjar Islands soaps/creams.

I need more subtle scents. The In-Your-Face strong scents bother me, for some reason.

I'd surely be open to some suggestions.

Since you just mentioned them... what are your experiences (and anyone else's) with both Castle Forbes and Fitjar Islands soaps/creams.

I need more subtle scents. The In-Your-Face strong scents bother me, for some reason.

I'd surely be open to some suggestions.
Castle Forbes is a great cream. It’s very concentrated and quite thirsty. It whips up into a dense stable lather that’s stick and moisturizing. Pretty big hydration window. The scents are nice but I’m afraid they probably fall into the ‘in your face’ camp.

Fitjar Islands is a much milder scent. I’ve only tried Fjellheim. Very natural and woodsy. Some have complained about lack of slickness but I think it performs very well. Like DR Harris it works best when you use more product and don’t drown the lather with water.

Baume, MWF, Klar, and Fitjar Islands are all lightly scented.

Musgo Real, SV, Castle Forbes, SMN and AdP are all pretty strong.

MdC, DR Harris, Haslinger and Speick are somewhere in the middle.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Castle Forbes is a great cream. It’s very concentrated and quite thirsty. It whips up into a dense stable lather that’s stick and moisturizing. Pretty big hydration window. The scents are nice but I’m afraid they probably fall into the ‘in your face’ camp.

Fitjar Islands is a much milder scent. I’ve only tried Fjellheim. Very natural and woodsy. Some have complained about lack of slickness but I think it performs very well. Like DR Harris it works best when you use more product and don’t drown the lather with water.

Baume, MWF, Klar, and Fitjar Islands are all lightly scented.

Musgo Real, SV, Castle Forbes, SMN and AdP are all pretty strong.

MdC, DR Harris, Haslinger and Speick are somewhere in the middle.
Thanks so much for the information. You probably saved me quite a bit of money with your advice.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It’s counterintuitive but starting at the top and working your way down is the cheapest way to go with soaps.
One of my first soaps is the Acca Kappa Barbershop..... the most expensive I have. It's not top of the line, but $36 or so for 150ml. It's wonderful.... subtle scent, great slick lather. The Fitjar Island soaps look interesting. I want to finish one of my containers before I add any more. The ESC Citrus Kiss I have goes pretty quickly. Only 100ml and it's a cream.

I bought my first two soaps before I knew anything. Proraso White and RR Mudder Focker. I can't say I'm in love with either of them. I add some glycerin to the Proraso and it's decent. The Mudder Focker, well, I've only used it once very early on. I don't know how that one will turn out. The scent is nice... not overpowering. I don't remember how well it works. Both of them are very inexpensive... so no loss if I end up jettisoning them.

Last edited:
One of my first soaps is the Acca Kappa Barbershop..... the most expensive I have. It's not top of the line, but $36 or so for 150ml. It's wonderful.... subtle scent, great slick lather. The Fitjar Island soaps look interesting. I want to finish one of my containers before I add any more. The ESC Citrus Kiss I have goes pretty quickly. Only 100ml and it's a cream.

I bought my first two soaps before I knew anything. Proraso White and RR Mudder Focker. I can't say I'm in love with either of them. I add some glycerin to the Proraso and it's decent. The Mudder Focker, well, I've only used it once very early on. I don't know how that one will turn out. The scent is nice... not overpowering. I don't remember how well it works. Both of them are very inexpensive... so no loss if I end up jettisoning them.
I’ve never tried the Acca Kappa but always wanted to try it. I haven’t seen much in the way of reviews so have always stayed on the fence with it.

Baume may be a safer bet as far as the Modern Classics go. The cream is universally loved. I haven’t heard a bad word said about it. The balm is top notch too. It is also lightly scented and goes with anything. It’s on the thicker side but absorbs well. I’m not great at describing scents but I’d say that the light fragrance is in the earthy/woody wheelhouse.

Some people don’t rate the Fitjar but I think it’s great. It just needs a thicker lather. It looses some slickness if you water it down too much. Some soaps are like that.

I’ve never tried the Acca Kappa but always wanted to try it. I haven’t seen much in the way of reviews so have always stayed on the fence with it.

Baume may be a safer bet as far as the Modern Classics go. The cream is universally loved. I haven’t heard a bad word said about it. The balm is top notch too. It is also lightly scented and goes with anything. It’s on the thicker side but absorbs well. I’m not great at describing scents but I’d say that the light fragrance is in the earthy/woody wheelhouse.

Some people don’t rate the Fitjar but I think it’s great. It just needs a thicker lather. It looses some slickness if you water it down too much. Some soaps are like that.
I just ordered acca kappa....why not.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

The Baume.be cream shows up tomorrow... I'm stoked.... I didn't think I'd ever get excited about a shaving cream. ;)

Hey @BRC and everyone else, don't forget to enter my giveaway (PIF). You could win a nice selection of soaps, brushes, blades and a razor too. Here is a link to it. Come and play, it'll be fun!

Hey @BRC and everyone else, don't forget to enter my giveaway (PIF). You could win a nice selection of soaps, brushes, blades and a razor too. Here is a link to it. Come and play, it'll be fun!

Thank you! Not much of a baseball fan these days but I'll give it a go!

Top Bottom