What's new

Staining on Nickel Fatip Grande

I got a nickel Fatip Grande last month. Somehow it's started to develop stains/spots on the handle. (They look like tiny water/dark spots in the photos below.) I've tried rubbing them off, but the spots seem stuck. Does anyone have an idea of (1) what caused them and (2) how to remove them?

I wonder if the beard oil I use to lubricate the threads on the post may have somehow caused the staining. But there are no similar stains on the razor head (top cap and base plate).

74B94298-776A-482A-B5B4-1E73C7BC461A.jpeg

691F06FF-73A2-49E9-88B6-6C8AA3B33B1A.jpeg

EBDF48F5-3476-4A13-9976-D9FB20298E11.jpeg

Hard water?

We have well water through a softener, and it still spots up our bathroom fixtures if left to drip-dry. I've gotten into the habit of thoroughly wiping everything down to prevent hard water spots.

Hard water?

We have well water through a softener, and it still spots up our bathroom fixtures if left to drip-dry. I've gotten into the habit of thoroughly wiping everything down to prevent hard water spots.
I do have hard water but I always immediately wipe off my razor after use. I actually take my razor apart (in order to pat dry the blade and wipe down all other parts) immediately after every shave.

Do you think hard water would stain the nickel in the 10 or so minutes that the razor is wet?

I never saw similar stains on my nickel plated Piccolo nor any other razors.

I do have hard water but I always immediately wipe off my razor after use. I actually take my razor apart (in order to pat dry the blade and wipe down all other parts) immediately after every shave.

Do you think hard water would stain the nickel in the 10 or so minutes that the razor is wet?

I never saw similar stains on my nickel plated Piccolo nor any other razors.
If you dry it off, it's probably not your water.

Maybe try a polishing cloth if it bothers you, but it's still a beautiful razor.

The nickel less solid surface than chrome, so taking in consideration that it made of brass it might be the patina development.

Try Magic Eraser on one of the spots. If it doesn't come off perhaps the plating is too thin allowing moisture to penetrate to the base metal. Dissimilar metals in contact and an electrolyte = galvanic effects and corrosion. The spots are within the plating if they don't polish off. Doesn't affect the shave, unless it gets worse and bubbles start forming.

Top Bottom