What's new

How often do you shave with a DE Razor?

I shave at least 6 days a week, unless something important warrants shaving a 7th day. Still working, in front of customers everyday, want to look good. Most shaves are 2 passes, but a lot of 1 pass shaves. I have a Parker 91R, paired with a Wilkinson Sword(G), which is my daily set up. I get efficient, close, smooth shaves,with no irritation. I use Gillette Pure cream, which helps make the shave smooth. Not a problem to shave everyday...

Daily, except for weekends or when growing out a beard. Mostly SR shaves but I’ll grab a DE for a quick shave. I am a no rules shaver based on time constraints and kit availability. I’ll even break all the TWS unspoken rules: use canned shaving cream with my SR at times; use both a SR and DE; or even a cartridge. Happy shaves know no bounds!

I normally shave daily and used to break out a DE or SE or Injector once or twice a week and the rest of the week I used a Straight. About 1.5 weeks ago I had my shoulder rebuilt by surgery including my thumb on the same arm so I cant use a straight now. Bandaged all up and one-handed and armed I've been reduced to shaving with a DE, SE, or Injector every two days. Living with wire brush whiskers for a day sucks but the work involved in a shave one-handed is worse.
Have you considered a goatee? The flats are easier, and leave the fiddly bits for when you have recovered.

Have you considered a goatee? The flats are easier, and leave the fiddly bits for when you have recovered.
When using a straight you must use 2 hands to strop. Plus I learned to shave with a straight with both hands so I'd have a hard time trying to shave with one. It wouldn't feel right to me. I do have a goatee. It's now been a month off work and using other than straights. I thought about growing a full beard but the wife said no. She will be happy to help shave me. But I'm not crazy. I ain't giving her a razor!

Generally six times a week. I do a four-pass shave every weekday morning, plus usually late Saturday afternoon, which then gets me through Sunday without shaving.

Shaving my head, though, works best not doing so every day, so that's Tues-Thurs-Sat.

I was going every other day when I started shaving my head 4/5 months ago. My skin has adapted and my technique has improved enough that I can now shave every day without irritation.

I shave every day and don't have a problem with irritation.

No irritation for me either.

I've been a daily shaver for many years. No issues.

Agree.

Another daily shaver here! If I miss a day, then I feel like a bum.

I wore a beard for many years (mostly because I didn't like shaving). Once I shaved it off, I like my face to feel clean and smooth.

I shave daily as well. On the rare occasions that I miss a day, the first pass of the next shave feels really harsh. It is just more comfortable for me to shave daily.

I feel the same way, it is just more comfortable.

If I shave again the following morning, there is only a small amount of facial hair to cut. The razor cuts through them much easier. There us actually less effort and less irritation with a daily shave.

As matter of fact, shaving twice daily is easier yet still. Not having to shave more agressivly, results in zero irritation.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Every other day.

Fun Fact:
Jon Hamm had to shave 3 times a day for Mad Men due to particularly strong, black and dense hair growth.
Now I wonder what tools he used.

My skin is sensitive and my facial hair is coarse. If I shave before 3 days it is not near as comfortable of a shave as a day 3 of 4 shave

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Daily shaver, no issues over the last 30 years other than a few cuts, I just avoid that area if needed. My job required clean shaven face in the maintenace department because we had to use SCBA sometimes to work or get out of a area of the plant. Since retired still daily shaving and enjoy the tradition of wet shaving with a single blade safety razor.

Mostly 6 days out of 7, unless I am doing something that warrants me shaving, like going out to eat, visiting, having company, family gatherings, weddings,etc., and such...

Every other day.

Fun Fact:
Jon Hamm had to shave 3 times a day for Mad Men due to particularly strong, black and dense hair growth.
Now I wonder what tools he used.
First series was set in Winter - Spring 1959-60 I think.

Hopefully Hamm did a bit of reading on the topic.

If he played it totally in character Don Draper would have used a Gillette 195 Executive given his status and the razor's popularity, him being in advertising. That would have got him through a day of shooting easy, with a good modern blade. A little 5 0'clock shadow would have been good for authenticity based on the time of the scene.

It was probably an electric from makeup though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom