What's new

Deciding on the main blade system...

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Anyone is still entitled to his opinions, but there's a reason if DE blades still command like 99,9% of market share in wet shaving, after one-hundred-and-twenty years. There's no need to reinvent blades just like there's no need to reinvent spaghetti.
I beg to differ on your 99.9%. About a third (and growing) of traditional wet shavers on B&B regularly shave with a straight razor. Then there are the SE "safety" razor shavers to further reduce your stated percentage.

I better guess at DE shavers would be about 50%.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, after trying different blade types, there is still a dilema which one to choose as primary one. This is my opinion so far :

1.DE blades. This is the most affordable blade system. You pay a lot on razors if Rad kicks you in.

2.Injector razors. Blade are a bit expensive. Razors very affordable. The most easy razor to use. I would suggest it to any new beginner.

3. Gem razors. Nice choice of affordable high quality razors. Limited choice of blade types. Fantastic shaves after you get familiar to the razors.

4. Personna Hair Shaper blades. You need to use a Weck shavette, preferably with a guard. I couldn't master it at all,unless using the guard.

5. Artist club razor. I have a razor and I have to try it more to create an opinion. Several blade options and some expensive razors too.

6. Straight razors. Very intriguing to try it. The initial cost and the required tools and skills have been a hindrance for me to try it yet.

If I were to choose my main system, today I would say the gem based ones. You can get 4 or 5 vintage razors plus 100 gem blades under 100 usd and have it done.

If I would want to have the thoughtless shaving experience, I would choose injectors. A schick M adjustable razor would be suffice for decades.

De blades are everywhere but not so fun unless you get and try new razors but that is pointless to me.

Maybe I should try AC and straight razors to decide for good.

Never thought to be in such position.Strange hobby.

Anyone in the same boat as above or am I just over thinking?
I decided to go the AC blade route and bought a Executive Shaving Co. Claymore Evolution. Simple design... getting brilliant shaves most of the time now.

I'm a bit fearful of the straight razor route, both because I'm not confident in my almost 69 year old hands any more and... the most significant concern... I just love the way they look. The blades themselves.... the scales... I am enjoying them vicariously now... it's a lot less expensive. I'd be down that rabbit hole in a millisecond... I just know it.

I decided to go the AC blade route and bought a Executive Shaving Co. Claymore Evolution. Simple design... getting brilliant shaves most of the time now.

I'm a bit fearful of the straight razor route, both because I'm not confident in my almost 69 year old hands any more and... the most significant concern... I just love the way they look. The blades themselves.... the scales... I am enjoying them vicariously now... it's a lot less expensive. I'd be down that rabbit hole in a millisecond... I just know it.
I am waiting an AC shavette to give this Ac format a try too. I need some Ac blades also which are so difficult to source where I live. Let's see.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Love your description.

I have always been temped by straight razors. I have used temporarily shavettes and I have one in my den, but I have not used it for a year at least.

I can find a finishing stone and a paddle strop for 100 euros if I would go for it. Then I would need a shave ready straight razor. I am just concerned that it could be a journey that has a dark side of a lot of items to buy. I am still thinking that I should try this system. Maybe I should try an AC shavette.
You can buy a decent strop for under €20, put together a lapping film setup (no whetstones required) for under €40, and buy a new SR and have it professionally honed for under €50. That is all the extra gear you will need.

If you can persevere for 30 daily SR shave, you will be hooked. Then, if you lack the willpower, you will enter the SR shaving rabbit hole.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I shave roughly 50% DE safety razors and DE blades snapped in half shavettes. I'd love to try straight razors but to be brutal honest I'm just to lazy to be bothered with the maintenance. I admire the guys who do use straights for the work the put into keeping their razors in shape though. But at the moment I'm happy just swapping out blades when need a fresh edge. But never say never who knows when I'll change my mind.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I shave roughly 50% DE safety razors and DE blades snapped in half shavettes. I'd love to try straight razors but to be brutal honest I'm just to lazy to be bothered with the maintenance. I admire the guys who do use straights for the work the put into keeping their razors in shape though. But at the moment I'm happy just swapping out blades when need a fresh edge. But never say never who knows when I'll change my mind.
Shavettes are also straight razors, they are replaceable blade SR's while the other are traditional SR's. The main thing is to be happy in your shaving, whatever the mothod.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I found a De razor that shaves fantastically and I am hooked so far. I am considering thinning my collection. This is a strange hobby.
Most of us go through a thinning once in a while. About a year ago I thined my SR collection down from over 50 to a little over 10. Now I am back to about 30.

Why not try out the $20 shavette from Maggards and some (s)Chicks so you know what rigid blades feel like? Or treat yourself to a Kai Artist Club razor for $80 off The Bay. That would be a better investment! :devil:

I am bringing an update to my quest.

De blades. I think I am already settled in with a vintage Wardonia razor. So, it is Wardonia, Rockwell 6s and Fatip Grande. A shavette is available too. This system has become my main one recently.
Gem blade format I am thinking to reduce my collection. Some of them will go to BTS and I hate the idea. I find only ER 1912 the most comfortable one to me.
Injectors. The ones I have are already a winner. They will remain, just I am not using them a lot recently. Schick M2 adjustable is a fantastic razor.
Artist Club format. I have a Yaqi and a Feather clone shavette now. I will give them a try after some weeks and see if I will enjoy this type of blade system.
Straight razor format. This format is on hold for the moment. There are no shops that sell strops in my country and I can't find one of good quality affordably at the moment. I will give this idea more time. If I will enjoy the AC shavette , I will very much tempted to try this format.

5 years ago I was happy using just a Gillete guard and a cream. Now I don't know where to put my razors and soaps plus creams in my room. As I always say, this is a strange hobby.

Well I called that one wrong :)
Nothing is called wrong in this hobby. I am enjoying AC format blade in a shavette better than in an AC razor.

I will try a straight razor next month although I highly doubt it already will become my primary system. So many details on honing and stropping to learn alone.

Update.

I have been playing with shavette and straight razors last 2-3 months.

The result is that I am using these systems non stop and right now I am enjoying shavettes more than the rest.

The straight razor format seems promising but requires time and patience.

Love your description.

I have always been temped by straight razors. I have used temporarily shavettes and I have one in my den, but I have not used it for a year at least.

I can find a finishing stone and a paddle strop for 100 euros if I would go for it. Then I would need a shave ready straight razor. I am just concerned that it could be a journey that has a dark side of a lot of items to buy. I am still thinking that I should try this system. Maybe I should try an AC shavette.
AC shavettes are the bomb. If you don't have much (or any) experience with open comb razors, the Feather SS is almost certainly the easiest one to get started with. That little bump they engineered in the blade holder really helps to minimize the possibility of nicks during the learning phase.

I would strongly recommend started with the SS and maybe the Kai Mild Pink or either the Kai or Feather guarded blade, if you want even more protection.

If I were starting over, here's what I would recommend. For the first week, use the Feather SS to shave nothing but the cheeks on both sides of your face, north-to-south only, one pass only, then put it away. I would also strongly recommend using the left hand for the left side of the face and the right hand for the right side. Finish the rest of the shave with a DE or SE or whatever you want to use.

For the second week, do the face and the neck (but not the goatee area) with the SS, one pass only, finish with your razor of choice.

Over the course of the first week, you will be developing coordination and an idea/muscle memory for how to hold the razor and how to apply it to your face. Because you will be doing only the simplest part of the shave, you will likely be successful, which will make the experience pleasant and encourage you to continue onward. During the second week you will be taking your new-found skill to more difficult areas, but you will likely do pretty well, which will further encourage.

Only after a full two weeks (I'm talking daily shaves here, so make it four weeks if you shave every other day) would I begin to attempt the goatee/van dyke area, which is the hardest. By the time you get there you will have at least 14 days of shaving with the tool under your belt, which will put you in a good position to succeed.

From there, you can start to try XTG passes (ear to mouth or mouth to ear, whichever you prefer) and you will be off to the races.

Good luck, be patient, and have fun. Taking your time when learning pays dividends that last forever. Trying to shave the entire face and neck the very first time you hold the tool generally leads to cuts/nicks or irritation, and also to frustration that may cause you to give up entirely. Learning how to shave with an open blade is a marathon, not a sprint. Take the time to EXPERIENCE it and build up your skill gradually.

You can thank me later.

Oopsies. It was only AFTER I wrote that entire essay, above, that I went back and saw that the OP has already been shaving with open blades for a while.

Oh well. Maybe it will help and/or encourage somebody else to give it a try.
Don't worry man. Your comments will be appreciated by someone who reads them. I have about 50 shaves with shavette this year (not counting the ones some years before). Your comments are spot on.

I remember your preference on Feather Ss and if I am not wrong you have the same razor as me, which is the Kai clone. I find that ac razor clone a nice shaver also. Recently I am enjoying my De shavette very much and I am getting very nice shaves from it!

Top Bottom