What's new

Simpson's Synthetics - price justified?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have been quite happy with a PAA Peregrino for over a year now. It has killed my BAD.

I saw on a thread some people hyping up Simpsons sythetics. Not interested in price, but just seeking information - what does buying a synthetic that costs over $100 get you, as compared with a synthetics under $50?

The fibers are synthetic - read, cheap - in both cases. Does Simpsons have anything except the brand name to justify the price?

I am not trying to be sarcastic here I am genuinely curious.

Thanks!

If they would release a Chubby 1 synthetic, I would have already bought it. Unfortunately, Simpsons is the only game in town if you want a synthetic that is their shape. I do for face lathering. My STF brush feels great, but the pointed shape is terrible. My G5A is better, but closer to the shape of most average Simpsons brushes(and it's a lather hog). In other words, it only get's you something if you can't get the equivalent for less. There is no magic fibres. These new generation ones work well, but there is no way Simpson's fibres are superior. It's the knot and the handle they are in.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
If they would release a Chubby 1 synthetic, I would have already bought it. Unfortunately, Simpsons is the only game in town if you want a synthetic that is their shape. I do for face lathering. My STF brush feels great, but the pointed shape is terrible. My G5A is better, but closer to the shape of most average Simpsons brushes(and it's a lather hog). In other words, it only get's you something if you can't get the equivalent for less. There is no magic fibres. These new generation ones work well, but there is no way Simpson's fibres are superior. It's the knot and the handle they are in.
Thank you very much!

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Simpons has the much more affordable Trafalgar line of synthetics available as well. I guess the question would then be what is the difference between the "Sovereign Fibre" and the "Platinum Grade" synthetics? Is the considerable difference between those two price points worth it? I'm sure someone on here has probably discussed this before.

I've never owned a Simpson so I can't/won't comment on how good they might or might not be. What I will say is that I own a couple of Parker synthetics and they both work fantastic for me. So good that I don't use my badgers anymore. I paid about $30.00 each for them. I've owned quite a few brushes over time and I'll tell you I wouldn't pay $100.00 for ANY brush, call me cheap if you want. There are too may good products out there at a reasonable price IMO. And yes, brand name does come into play. To be fair, they spend more on R&D, marketing, and quality control.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thanks so much all. After your very useful input, the SBAD is still under control.

I had the T3 and didn’t liked it. Too big, too hard to splay and akward point of balance.

If I use a Synth at home then it’s either the Yaqi Bali (Gen 5 fibres) which has a bit of scrub or the excellent RV/Mühle STF that feels like…. Silvertip! :)

9EB2E114-76AF-4130-830F-1889D8E4001D.jpeg

055116B5-5AB3-4B3D-84A6-9C1C204009D9.jpeg

I have a pair of Simpson synthetics, the Trafalgar T2 and the Duke 3. I prefer the fiber of the T2 and prefer the brush to the Duke personally. The Duke is a good brush and didn’t pay a lot for it, but for my own tastes/sensibilities I’d be pretty upset if I did. The higher grade fiber on the Duke is wonderful don’t get me wrong, but I don’t find myself preferring it over the more affordable Trafalgar line.
Can’t speak for any other synthetics though. I personally find their badger brushes worth every penny but not so much their platinum fiber offerings, but that’s just me.

I've got a T3 and still prefer the Razorock Monster for my synthetic brush.
My experience is the same. The Monster splays more easily and is a touch softer for face-lathering. I might get one with the Big Bruce handle, though. I understand the knot is the same. The Monster's handle is a bit big and unwieldy.

I prefer my cheap Yaqi 24mm Cashmere to the T3. It's not that the T3 is a bad brush; far from it. I just prefer something with less backbone.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've got a T3 and still prefer the Razorock Monster for my synthetic brush.

I had the T3 and didn’t liked it. Too big, too hard to splay and akward point of balance.

If I use a Synth at home then it’s either the Yaqi Bali (Gen 5 fibres) which has a bit of scrub or the excellent RV/Mühle STF that feels like…. Silvertip! :)

View attachment 1430573

View attachment 1430574
Thanks to you both... I was about to order the T3. I ended up ordering two brushes from PAA instead: the Peregrino and the Atomic Rocket.

I own both the more expensive Platinum grade fibre (Chubby & Duke) as well as the much more affordable Sovereign grade fibre (Trafalgar line) Simpson brushes and they are my favorite out of all synthetics that I've tried.

The Platinum fibre grade is really something special, especially in the Chubby 2. The Platinum fibre is softer and more luxurious feeling than any other synthetic that I've used. The Duke is nice as well, but I like the Chubby quite a bit more since it just feels more luxurious and special. I'm not sure whether or not I would buy the Duke again unless it was a really good deal, but the Chubby is something I'll always want to have around.

I really like the Trafalgar line as well. I didn't care much for the T3 (just seemed too big to me), but I think the T1 & T2 are great. The fibre used in these isn't necessarily any better than many other similarly priced synthetics, but the diameter to loft ratio is more to my liking than most other synthetics, so that's what really sells me, along with their great handles.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I live in the UK and am happy to pay extra for Simpson brushes as it helps to pay skilled craftsmen and craftswomen, in my own country, a decent wage, and employment benefits that I would want for myself. There is also over 100 years of history and tradition which has real value, for me anyway. The Chubby 2 is the only synthetic to remain in my rotation. Worth every penny 👍

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thanks to you both... I was about to order the T3. I ended up ordering two brushes from PAA instead: the Peregrino and the Atomic Rocket.
I predict you will love the peregrino... it's big at first but after a week or two of using it it feels perfect in the hand.

That is the brush that killed my SBAD.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I predict you will love the peregrino... it's big at first but after a week or two of using it it feels perfect in the hand.

That is the brush that killed my SBAD.
It will be 2 weeks or longer before I get it... Arizona to Florida...but I'll report back.

I have owned (and sold) a Duke 3 Synthetic, a Chubby 2 Synthetic and a Trafalgar 2. None of those brushes worked well for me. The synthetic brushes that I still have and use are: Yaqi Rainbow Brown, Yaqi Mink, RazoRock High Density Hive, PAA Roswell Grey Hybrid (in a Yaqi Sagreda Familia handle) and a Turn-N-Shave Half Moon knot (in a Duke 2 handle).

The Simpsons synthetics are quite different than all of the others I own. If those differences are a plus for you, then they are worth the extra money. For me, that just wasn't the case.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I know that our dear @Marco loves his T3. Maybe he can shed some light on the subject.
I am a HUGE fan of Simpsons and they are basically all I use. Their synthetics make no exception, so I am really unable to compare them to other brands. But I do love them entirely. I own the entire Trafalgar Series (x2) and the Chubby 2 (x2). The Trafalgar costs less because the Sovereign fibers are much easier and less expensive to buy, whereas the Platinum fibers are a premium option, hence price point reflects. All in all none of them is truly expensive I would say: Trafalgar brushes range between €28 and €38, while the Chubby 2 is priced €98 here in Italy. Are they worth having? Well, to me ABSOLUTELY YES. On many of my preferred soaps they seem to perform better than their badger counterparts costing a lot more.

View attachment 1430573

View attachment 1430574
Dear Hannes,
you made me want this Yaqi Bali, G5 fiber. Unfortunately I don't have a Bali synth. I have Yaqi TWIST 24mm Synthetic and Yaqi Ocean on the way, do you know if I use G5 fibers? Or if Yaqi Everest and Yaqi Robin synth use G5 fibers, they look similar to me.
P1140772.JPG P1140771.JPG

Dear Hannes,
you made me want this Yaqi Bali, G5 fiber. Unfortunately I don't have a Bali synth. I have Yaqi TWIST 24mm Synthetic and Yaqi Ocean on the way, do you know if I use G5 fibers? Or if Yaqi Everest and Yaqi Robin synth use G5 fibers, they look similar to me.
View attachment 1436973 View attachment 1436974
The only references I found to G5 fibres was here

But now they have changed the ad to G4 so it looks like I was misinformed.

Nevertheless I like the brush and knot very much Alin.

Edit: they have Oumo G5 knots available

Last edited:
Top Bottom