What's new

New To Fountain Pens

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I don't disagree with you, but why is everyone trying to get her to buy another pen? She's bought it and loves it. The Hong Dian will eventually dry out if not used, but not quickly since it is thick metal and remains cold; this means the water in the ink is slow to evaporate.
She needs to learn how to use a convertor and simply enjoy her pen.
Oh, I don't know. I might chalk it up to the fact sometimes pen people can get a little snobby as far as their preferences and what should be her preferences. She bought a cheap Amazon pen and that's just not good enough! On the one hand, I kind of get it because the great fear is that some unsuspecting newbie buys a cheap China pen and then it leaks, and is scratchy, and is just an all around bad writing experience. And then our intrepid newbie declares, "wow, ALL fountain pens must suck because this cheapo pen I got online for $10 sucks." To which our well-meaning snob feels the need to preemptively suggest that maybe they should get a Lamy or a Pilot or a [fill in the blank reputable pen brand] instead of the cheap pen so that they too can experience the exhilaration of the epiphany one gets putting a well-tuned nib to paper for the first time. People must be properly penabled! But on the otherhand, if she is enjoying her Amazon pen - she's enjoying her pen! Mission accomplished! I hope the new pen has inspired her to write many letters and thank you notes and journal entries and doodles. I have come around to the conclusion that most important aspect of a fountain pen, more important than the make and model or its specs or color or filling system or nib or any of that, is the joy it enables you to put into the world.

Oh, I don't know. I might chalk it up to the fact sometimes pen people can get a little snobby as far as their preferences and what should be her preferences. She bought a cheap Amazon pen and that's just not good enough! On the one hand, I kind of get it because the great fear is that some unsuspecting newbie buys a cheap China pen and then it leaks, and is scratchy, and is just an all around bad writing experience. And then our intrepid newbie declares, "wow, ALL fountain pens must suck because this cheapo pen I got online for $10 sucks." To which our well-meaning snob feels the need to preemptively suggest that maybe they should get a Lamy or a Pilot or a [fill in the blank reputable pen brand] instead of the cheap pen so that they too can experience the exhilaration of the epiphany one gets putting a well-tuned nib to paper for the first time. People must be properly penabled! But on the otherhand, if she is enjoying her Amazon pen - she's enjoying her pen! Mission accomplished! I hope the new pen has inspired her to write many letters and thank you notes and journal entries and doodles. I have come around to the conclusion that most important aspect of a fountain pen, more important than the make and model or its specs or color or filling system or nib or any of that, is the joy it enables you to put into the world.
Very well put. This is why my first approach when anybody posts about a new acquisition is to be happy for them and provide any help I can. I helps tamp down my own snobbery. If they discover they are having a problem, crap product, themselves and genuinely ask for help, I can explain what is wrong with said crap product without needing to call it such. If they are still receptive, then I can maybe suggest a less crap product because it doesn't have such and such problem that you had. Making it person and supportive.

Yes, you have it right. BTW, a pen supplier asked me to buy a pen from Amazon and review it. I would have the money returned via paypal once the review was public. The pen was a Hong Dian. It was beautiful and so was the nib. I was so impressed that I bought another two from Aliexpress. They are not rock-bottom cheap, and even the ones that are, are pretty good these days. Especially Jinhao.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

Well said. I went a slightly different route (as usual :p ). I bought a cheap pen expecting it to be crappy, and immediately went about learning how to make it less crappy... knowing that if I banjaxed it, I was only down the cost of a beer. Ultimately it worked out very well.

As a newcomer, I still wouldn't have tried spending more though, even if I hadn't managed to smooth out the wrinkles. I'm actually glad I didn't, because the "proper" pens actually meet my needs less well than the cheaper ones. With razors, we all seem to be more accepting of differences in need and personal preference, but with fountain pens there seems to be a more rigid widespread opinion about what the "correct" approach and interest progression should be.

I bought this like 6 months ago. I really like it. It's so much better than the ball point pens I usually use. It was on sale on Amazon for $10. Its metal and I so love that!! I got it ink. Both in purple cause I love purple. It can use ink cartridges, but also has a converter I have no idea how to use to use other inks.
It makes me want to write.
I am finally using my nice leather notebook.

The brand is called Asvine. I didn't see anything here in search. Any info on the brand?

How does it compare to others? I don't really think I would upgrade as I love my purple pen.

But interested in maybe trying Ink converter thing to try in not in carts.

I bought this like 6 months ago. I really like it. It's so much better than the ball point pens I usually use. It was on sale on Amazon for $10. Its metal and I so love that!! I got it ink. Both in purple cause I love purple. It can use ink cartridges, but also has a converter I have no idea how to use to use other inks.

The brand is called Asvine. I didn't see anything here in search. Any info on the brand?

How does it compare to others? I don't really think I would upgrade as I love my purple pen.

24.99US $ |Hongdian Black Forest Metal Fountain Pen Black/Golden EF/F/Bent Beautiful Tree Texture Excellent Writing Business Office Pen|Fountain Pens| - AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001610497720.html?spm=a2g0o.search0304.0.0.4c1c4822edgV1L&algo_pvid=425a1f4d-024f-4504-9c16-2b26131c7c2f&algo_exp_id=425a1f4d-024f-4504-9c16-2b26131c7c2f-3
Olivia, if you follow this link you'll see all the colours your pen can be. I'm almost tempted to buy one of each. There is a rainbow one, but I'm not that way inclined.
How are getting on with the pen? Having fun, I hope. I enjoy writing the shopping lists because it's an excuse to use my pen.
Did you master filling the refillable cartridge (convertor)?
You had a bargain from Amazon. They are more expensive from China.

Screenshot 2022-04-01 at 22-50-04 12 79£ 36% OFF Hongdian Black Forest Metal Fountain Pen Blac...png

24.99US $ |Hongdian Black Forest Metal Fountain Pen Black/Golden EF/F/Bent Beautiful Tree Texture Excellent Writing Business Office Pen|Fountain Pens| - AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001610497720.html?spm=a2g0o.search0304.0.0.4c1c4822edgV1L&algo_pvid=425a1f4d-024f-4504-9c16-2b26131c7c2f&algo_exp_id=425a1f4d-024f-4504-9c16-2b26131c7c2f-3
Olivia, if you follow this link you'll see all the colours your pen can be. I'm almost tempted to buy one of each. There is a rainbow one, but I'm not that way inclined.
How are getting on with the pen? Having fun, I hope. I enjoy writing the shopping lists because it's an excuse to use my pen.
Did you master filling the refillable cartridge (convertor)?
You had a bargain from Amazon. They are more expensive from China.

View attachment 1432892
Thank yoi. So cool

Congratulations on your new pen Olivia. I love purple as well!!! This is my first visit over to this topic, but after reading all the recommendations and words of encouragement regarding your post, I certainly can say you guys are serious about pens and know your business! Have a great weekend all.😊👍

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
This purple one seems more affordable. :ouch1:
Knowing Sailor's high standards of quality I'm betting it's a good writer.

1649635469576.png

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Sailor makes nice pens for sure! Not so high on the objective value scale, especially in the last couple years or so. But I think Sailor is one of those brands that have an "it" factor that belies normal bang-for-the-buck calculation. Writers who like stiff, feedbacky nib rave about Sailor's stiff, feedbacky nibs. And the designs range from super classy to colorful and fun. Worth the splurge for many.

Whats so special about these pens? Yikes pricey. I am loving .y $10 metal pen. How much better can it get?

Sailor nibs, especially the 21K ones, are held in quite high esteem. They are firm, but very smooth.

Sailor, like Pilot, have also worked out that you can sell a lot of pens by issuing limited editions in a range of garish sparkly colours at inflated prices. People collect them like candy at Halloween, apparently.

Congrats on finding a nice pen Olivia! The first FP I bought was one off of e-bay. It was listed as a "Student Pen". It was shipped from China and I paid a total of 99 cents for it (shipping was free). I figured that for 99 cents, I wasn't out anything much. It turned out to be a Jinhau x450. Black and metal. I have a decent collection of different types of pens and that one is still my favorite to this very day! I think that my most expensive pen probably cost me around $30. Don't be afraid to branch out and try different pens. If you get one that you are not fond of, you can always put it up for sale/trade or even give it away to someone who is interested in FP's.

And lastly, welcome to the club!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Another budget fountain pen user here. My regular use ones, all cost less than £20, and most were under £10. They might not (WILL not) appeal to serious pen enthusiasts, but their pens don't generally appeal to me either. Not just in price, but also materials, aesthetics and ergonomics too. What I use is perfect for my needs, very comfortable in hand, and no great loss if I lose or damage one.

Don't feel pressured to conform to other people's tastes. Discover your own preferences, and enjoy using them irrespective of whether or not others fawn over them.

Ms Olivia:

You want purple pens, you get purple pens:

Search Results for "purple pens" | JetPens - https://www.jetpens.com/search?q=purple+pens&v=2&f=89d5a6676ad6dc20_569f793cede454f9aec93c50788f2736_2f687c11ef37fd8a59cb957d7dad431a_195662b3c1310be3592f48748e326e44a6b75c22ae85b360

Any of those pens linked above, all in the sub 20 range, far exceed the intersection of quality/performance and value.
I have personal experience with all brands except the "Online" one. I trust the ladies that own Jet Pens not to sell bad product such that if you like the Online offerings, I would buy with confidence knowing that if there was an issue, JetPens would make it right.

A reason while the Pilot Metropolitan particularly, is on virtually every best pen under 50USD list is precisely because they exceed the intersection of quality/performance and value. You get a japanese designed/made metal bodied pen, with a cartridge and a converter for 20ish, in great colors with multiple nibs ( and in multiple ink systems for that matter i.e. non fountain pens) for 20 ish USD all day long.

Beautiful pen, Olivia. I decided that the Purple one was not for me, so I opted for the Sailor Pro Gear Blue Cobra from Goldspot, with the Music Nib. It writes like a dream, with beautiful thicks and thins. Right now it’s filled with Iroshizuku Ama-Iro, which matches the pen’s body nicely. I think I know how much you’re enjoying your pen, Olivia, because the 21K nib writes quite smoothly, despite the characteristic stiffness of Sailor nibs.

Eric

05394741-4451-41DD-9D5D-0F584C0A8D3D.jpeg

Last edited:
A note about inks. Not all inks work well in all pens. I was having trouble with a F-C leaking a little. I was talking to them at a pen show and they told me the the ink I was using had too much lubricant to work well in their pens. Sure enough, I switched inks and the problem went away.

Top Bottom