What's new

For Jarrod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice letter from our mutual friend Mr. Connerty.

IMG_1156.jpg

To address Mr. Connerty.

I absolutely did say to you in an email that you were right about the convex stone, that it does indeed create a thinner bevel, and does indeed increase the flexibility of the bevel. I would still stand by that fact. That, however, is not in opposition to a post I made somewhere on this forum where I said that sometimes I could feel the difference, and sometimes I felt the edge was similar to a conventionally honed edge. I do not, have not ever claimed to be a "honemeister" of any kind, and as such the variability of the edge could have been down to my own errors which I can accept, as well as shave prep, soap, indeed any other variable that could change ones perception of how a razor cuts. Again, accepting that reality doesn't detract from the math and geometry which I still believe as true.

As to whether Jarrod has ever said convex hones create a better edge, I cannot honestly recall whether he has used that word specifically. But when one has claimed on video that the future of the Solingen razor industry basically relies on getting users of said razors to hone on convex hones so that their edges are more flexible and thus their shaves are closer and more comfortable, I honestly feel that this is a dive into semantics. Most shavers would agree that a closer, more comfortable shave, is in fact, a better shave. Thus if a convex edge gives superior performance in such metrics, well, extrapolate the implications for yourself.

As for selling my convex plates. Yes I did indeed sell both my plates as well as a set of Norton Waterstones. Jarrod sent me the plates for free, I will not hide that fact, and I am grateful that he did so I could experiment with the convex method of honing. However, I am looking to vastly simplify my honing regimen, have limited space due to working from home, and keeping the stones in shape was becoming a tedious exercise for me. I subsequently sold the set of Norton stones and both plates to a user here who will go unnamed for the sum of $85.

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1160(1).jpg

The Norton stones were purchased by me from SharpeningSupplies, prices as follows:

Norton 1K : $56.99
Norton 4K: $74.99
Norton 8K: $109.49

Total: $241.97

I also paid for shipping for the items out of the money I recieved to the tune of $21.50. Receipt below.

IMG_1159.jpg

One could say that when accounting for the cost of the stones and shipping, I basically gave the plates away since I made back about $65 on around $260 of costs. Maybe I am wrong, and if others have a different view I am willing to accept responsibility.

I am unaware of how Mr. Connerty came by this information, hopefully the person I sold the plates to spoke to Mr. Connerty in good faith and this information is being used in such an unfortunate manner unbeknownst to the recipient of the plates.

As to whether I am a phony with a motive, well, you can all be the judge of that.

Last edited:
Nice of Jarrod to write you a handwritten letter. I was surprised to find that I feature on his website!

50486ECB-B1E5-4EC5-90A3-482BF5E5A564.jpeg

Weather is fine in Melbourne, Australia today BTW.

The razors are exposed to a maximum of 100% RH in the shower room prior to and during the shave.

The local weather data is below. Enjoy!

F575F700-4324-415A-B543-FF168D332584.png

AFAF3FBD-B72B-48C8-97F7-ABDD48184048.jpeg

E0E499F9-4FC5-486A-862B-7EC329A460C7.jpeg

Last edited:
I assume this thread will probably get nuked but I accidentally clicked on one of his fleabay listings and he actual calls out a handful of members by screenname, several of whom still post here and whose opinions I respect (I assume they also have used those screennames on other forums). Ironically, one of those people is someone who consistently praises Jarrod's honing abilities, even if he doesn't agree with his methods.

Pure class, every time.

I assume this thread will probably get nuked but I accidentally clicked on one of his fleabay listings and he actual calls out a handful of members by screenname, several of whom still post here and whose opinions I respect (I assume they also have used those screennames on other forums). Ironically, one of those people is someone who consistently praises Jarrod's honing abilities, even if he doesn't agree with his methods.

Pure class, every time.

To be fair, Mr. Connerty did ask me to make this post, who am I to refuse the fine gentleman? :laugh:

I just sat down with my coffee and what is this I have walked into... ???
:confused1:cursing::w00t:
I have all the emotions and I don't even know why!

Hey well we are airy some dirty laundry, GD had the "Laundry" soap release this morning and...
right, I bought a brush from him that I do love, but he literally shut the website down right in front of me to raise the price when I contacted him to ask a question! Then he raised it again on the last remaining one.
-Pure Class™️

I have been graced by more correspondence from Mr. Connerty this evening. This thread could go on and on but it is absolutely fruitless to engage in such a manner.

If anyone can help me with getting a moderator to lock this thread down it would be much appreciated. No point in continuing this any longer than necessary. I have posted the information Mr. Connerty requested but wish nothing further.

I wish Mr. Connerty all the best and will continue to patronize his business if I see something I like, as I have done in the past despite our mutual "grievances".

Legion

Staff member
I have been graced by more correspondence from Mr. Connerty this evening. This thread could go on and on but it is absolutely fruitless to engage in such a manner.

If anyone can help me with getting a moderator to lock this thread down it would be much appreciated. No point in continuing this any longer than necessary. I have posted the information Mr. Connerty requested but wish nothing further.

I wish Mr. Connerty all the best and will continue to patronize his business if I see something I like, as I have done in the past despite our mutual "grievances".
Yeah, ok. I also think this has probably run its course. I'll ask someone to lock it down.

Please don't delete it, a lot of times we tell somebody about something that happened and can't show them because it got nuked. Also, I am about to order a razor from him and if he is reading: you better not do anything cute over my above post or it will be my last order. I hope it won't be...

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

I will lock the thread but please let me say this - This type of drama needs to be kept off B&B. We’ve had dealings with Jarrod and TSS in the past and this type of stuff is purely childish behavior that does nothing but create headaches for the moderator team. In my personal opinion - childish on both sides, all involved parties. You post this on B&B and air the dirty laundry and “grievances” and then ask for the thread to be locked down. What was the point of the whole thing to begin with?

Now a moderator has to spend time reading this nonsense and taking action on something that has no place here in the first place. This doesn’t just apply to this thread, it’s every other thread like it past and future. If folks want to air dirty laundry and drum up drama take it FaceBook, or Twitter, or any of the other classless social media forums that allow and thrive on pettiness and immaturity. B&B isn’t the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom