What's new

Thinking hard about a Henson AL13

As in the RK Blades aren't worth it?

I don't think the post was directed at RK blades in particular. Some blades work for some people but not others, and there are blades that almost no one seems to like. The old Dorcos come to mind.

The RKs are a recent offering and they've not had a ton of reviews yet. I'm honestly interested in how the RKs work for you in a Henson so do let us know how you like them in your razor.

As in the RK Blades aren't worth it?
As CarloMNL mentioned, it was not directed at RK. There are blades that just don't work in some razors, for whatever reason. There are a few blades that I wonder why they are on the market because they are terrible in anything. Mostly, however, is the fun of finding the best blades for a particular razor.

As CarloMNL mentioned, it was not directed at RK. There are blades that just don't work in some razors, for whatever reason. There are a few blades that I wonder why they are on the market because they are terrible in anything. Mostly, however, is the fun of finding the best blades for a particular razor.
Gotcha. Just didn't know how to interpret your comment. And yes, I completely agree that with razors and blades YMMV. For all of the love that GSBs and Astra SPs get on this forum, neither one of them did it for me. Now KCG, Wizamet, and Voskhod are lovely! (I could see Voskhod being my daily driver.) So I'm looking forward to trying RK and seeing how it goes.

Totally agree. I'm going to post my daily shaving adventures in the Henson Thread under Clubs and Brotherhoods.

the debate between mild and medium versions has been helpful. I use the mild, and get superb results. I'm curious about the medium, but not enough to warrant another purchase. I agree that the blade choice and prep probably are the biggest differentiators. I continue to use different blades and find the sharper the better. The sharpness seems moderated by the razor design, which means a close, smooth shave, with no weepers. I would say to anyone to get the mild if you want to be sure of shave quality but gentle shave experience.

This just arrived in the mail! Even though I shaved earlier with the Mild I had to take the medium out for a test drive!
IMG_9425 (1).jpg

I posted this in the Henson Razor Club thread, but I had the best shave ever today with my Henson and a Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless (green) razor blade.
Thank you for sharing that! I have those blades but I've never tried them in the Henson. I will give them a try later this week!

Thinking hard about Henson razors? Don't 😁

Just sneaked my wife's gift and here's my thoughts on it (Mild version). First impression is that machining is done exceptionally. Not just advertized it REALLY is. I'm speachless. Everything on it looks and feels well made and precise it's unexplainable.

I used my old Wilkinson Classic (black) blade, 4th use (so sorry for that) and must say that due to high blade clamping some blades, specially rigid ones might not perform best in this razor. Previous 3 shaves were so-so, but weeper-free, now I got 3 of them 🤔. Is the strong blade bending to be blamed for tension and additional stress on already damaged blade-edge, who knows, but just keep this in mind. I'll use it again with other, fresh blades.

Performance wise - nothing less than perfection. Hands-down. It should not be named "mild" but "smooth". Had no clogging issues, rinsed better or at least at same level as some OC razors. If you have this issue - maybe your lather is too thick and lacks water. First pass was better than R89 or Fatip OC and felt much better than DFS but just a hair bellow BBS, I was astonished and pushed for 2nd pass just because I can ☺️

Only couple weepers due to old blade, but no irritation, no severe cuts, no AS burn, nothing. Smooth at another level. Sorry to say, but I don't see price margin too high for this shave quality. Perfectly made for it's cause. Bravo Henson!

Compared with R89 - I'd say that loosen* blade hold of R89 might be better to allow blade to "breathe" a little bit, otherwise, just hand-held feel is different, Henson is way smoother, but R89 might be easier to use due to more weight and more "natural feel" (I'm using it for 3rd year now) so might be subjective.

Compared to Fatip OC (not same category in terms of smoothness) but for a one-pass shave, on 3 days growth - yes, almost same efficiency, no doubt.

Final verdict - Fatip's efficiency with R89 smoothness, built with remarkable tolerances and geometry, bit light (for those who prefer such razors) and for a gift option - perfect option. I'm thinking on buying one for myself just for "keep" it's that good, and I'm not even thinking on going for "medium" version. Good lather, nice new blade and mild will be just enough. Would I leave R89 entirely for Henson? Probably not, due to sentimental things and old-school looks (rose-gold version) but is this a new generation of DE razors to be discovered and get used to - deffinitely yes. No cartridge razor could compare with either cutting, clogging, face feel, yet - virtually impossible to be cut with this razor. Well worth it's price 👏

IMG_20220426_075618.jpg

IMG_20220426_075625.jpg

Agree with @Doc Dan just tried it with 7o'clock yellow new blade and had 0 feel that it's sharper, more aggresive etc. Smooth as first time, my neck area had never been so smooth after 1st pass, although some trouble spots arround chin could use bit more angle adjustments to make the top-result. Still, I'm all with AL13 mild, great razor, great consistency, immune to used blade or beard growth when delivers great shaves. Full recommendation from my side

I'm thinking hard about pulling the trigger on a Henson AL13. My current favorite razor is a pre-war Gillette Tech. It's a great razor, but something about that Henson is calling me. I would guess that 80% of the opinions that I have read have been positive and the other 20% have not been negative, but have been that it's nothing more special than a more traditional safety razor.

Pros:
  • Supposedly very easy to use and super smooth (and mild and smooth is more my jam as opposed to aggressive)
  • Should last forever
  • Cool new tech
  • 100 day trial period with a full refund guarantee
Cons
  • Cool new tech (I know that I listed this twice, but there's something nostalgic about using a pre-war Tech that you don't have with modern tech)
  • $70 vs. the $12 that I spent on my Gillette Tech
  • It "feels" a little like going back to a cartridge and there's an element of pride in using an old school safety razor.
If you want to chime in. I won't ask for your opinion because I've read so many opinions already on here that there's not much to add, and I know that I am just rehashing an old topic. But it helps me to process out loud. :)

mikhou
You will love the Henson AL 13. I have the mild version and absolutely love it. I do a 3 pass shave and get BBS results. I have sensitive skin and a moderate beard. If you have a heavy beard, perhaps the medium is the way to go.

Today, with a two day growth of beard, I put a Nacet in my AL13 medium and in two passes got a slick, smooth shave. The Henson, whether mild or medium, always over performs.

I agree with @Doc Dan
Although I don't have the Henson, I have the Wet shaving club's "Winning" razor which is a Yates razor with the same head design as the Henson.
So they are both pretty much the same with the exception that the Henson is aluminum & the Winning razor is stainless steel.
I had the same sort of (not very efficient) experience till I stuck a Feather blade in it. It's ridiculously efficient now!

Top Bottom