What's new

Alpha t-400 Maggard 70/30 Mixed Knot

I ordered two of these handles. Doing silver tip in one and badge/boar mix in the other. I love badger brushes but I prefer boar brushes and thought why knot give the mix a try. Can't seem to find any information on loft or depth to set the knot. I was planning to set the knot higher like my boar brushes.

Any input on your experiences are welcome. What work, what didn't. Thanks in advance.
IMG_6562.jpg

I have a rubberset 400 with the 70/30 knot installed, loft is currently 52mm. It feels about right - I am going to experiment with it dropped to 50mm in a few weeks.

If you desire a higher loft maybe start around 55mm, but remember these knots are mostly badger hair and it will not have the backbone of a boar at the same loft.

Thanks. I actually set it at 50. Haven't used it yet just cleaned and did a few lathers to break in. Holy moly does this thing shed. I've read bad reviews about shedding. I have 6 Maggard badger and 3 boar knots that never shed.

Thanks. I actually set it at 50. Haven't used it yet just cleaned and did a few lathers to break in. Holy moly does this thing shed. I've read bad reviews about shedding. I have 6 Maggard badger and 3 boar knots that never shed.
I went through mine with a pet comb after a few test lathers, hasn't lost a hair since. However, those initial lathers and especially the combing produced probably 20+ hairs. I simply consider this process a necessary step that the manufacturer neglected to do and for the price I cannot complain.

Top Bottom