What's new

Unexpected Travel Kit Lesson

This thread is helpful as I try to think through what to take on my first leisure trip (by air) in over two years. In the past I wouldn’t have given it much thought, but now that I am an avid DE shaver, I am not sure I can stand to take cartridges with me. I don’t mind losing some soap or an inexpensive brush, but a high-end razor is another story.

Am I better off checking the razor or carrying it on? Both seem risky, but 10 days of cartridge shaving seems unthinkable. As for a brush, I have finally picked a wee scot over a synthetic (T2). Decisions, decisions.

BTW, just to give equal time to the Northwest, the Oregon Coast is pretty wonderful from Cannon Beach to Newport and points south.

Newport, OR Cannon Beach, OR
6FF7918E-429C-4697-94B1-8EA156F99E3A.jpeg5CA0C32F-6A81-400E-806E-62F64998A96C.jpeg

Was going to ask where you were from and remember you mentioning the Northwest. I've been to Northern California and Seattle but that's nothing near to the whole picture.

Good friend of mine was brought up in Portland, OR and loved it.

A childhood friend who I've recently connected with wants me to visit him in Eugene, OR.

My bicycle (a Land Shark) was built by John Slawta, who's based in Talent, OR.

Those are my Pacific NW connections. Would love to do more. And yes: do NOT want my razor taken from me. Wonder if it matters if you remove the blade and buy some when you arrive...?

Was going to ask where you were from and remember you mentioning the Northwest. I've been to Northern California and Seattle but that's nothing near to the whole picture.

Good friend of mine was brought up in Portland, OR and loved it.

A childhood friend who I've recently connected with wants me to visit him in Eugene, OR.

My bicycle (a Land Shark) was built by John Slawta, who's based in Talent, OR.

Those are my Pacific NW connections. Would love to do more. And yes: do NOT want my razor taken from me. Wonder if it matters if you remove the blade and buy some when you arrive...?
I am from the northeast, but have lived in Tennessee for almost all of my adult life. We love to travel and have been all over the US, with many visits to both coasts, the mountain west, and the southwest.

You are right about the razor, of course. Blades would be checked or bought after the flight.

I am from the northeast, but have lived in Tennessee for almost all of my adult life. We love to travel and have been all over the US, with many visits to both coasts, the mountain west, and the southwest.

You are right about the razor, of course. Blades would be checked or bought after the flight.
I met someone who teaches in Knoxville, over the summer. She loves it there. I'd love to check it out.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was traveling before 911 and had one of my Spyderco knives on me... no problem in Philadelphia when I left. We had a layover in Dallas and the TSA guy wanted to confiscate it when we were reboarding... but I knew the rules.. no knives with a blade over 4"... mine was under 3".

I said to him... I know you really like the looks of my knife and would like it for yourself... but the blade length is way under the 4" restriction. He just gave me a little sheepish grin and handed the knife back to me.

I was traveling before 911 and had one of my Spyderco knives on me... no problem in Philadelphia when I left. We had a layover in Dallas and the TSA guy wanted to confiscate it when we were reboarding... but I knew the rules.. no knives with a blade over 4"... mine was under 3".

I said to him... I know you really like the looks of my knife and would like it for yourself... but the blade length is way under the 4" restriction. He just gave me a little sheepish grin and handed the knife back to me.
Great story. Don't mess with my Spyderco, buddy. I've no doubt that the guy who confiscated my Leatherman kept it for himself. 😡

I consider my cartridge razor and my Leaf Razors as nearly nickproof. Problem is, if I get a little overconfident and don’t pay attention, I can get nicks with either. (My experience, not saying it is what happened to you). But, of course, most of my DE nicks are from lack of focus, too heavy a hand, etc.
I concur, however, my Thorn tries to bite if I get overly cocky with it. And now that I have started my journey with straight razors, I can get really too comfortable whipping my DE razors around on those days I use them!

Top Bottom