What's new

Differences in Muhle STF over the years?

I face lather most of the time but with the older brush, I did both. It was the brush that I learned to bowl lather with and after two or three years, I moved to face lathering.

I have yet to try bowl lathering with the new one.

I also have both sizes (current generation STF) and share nav's opinion. I'm glad that I got the 23 before the 25 because otherwise, the 23 would have felt underwhelming. Unless you really need a smaller brush, I'd skip the 23mm. Price gap between the 2 sizes is not drastic but the performance difference is, IMHO.
That's pretty good confirmation there along with Navs, much appreciation for that.

You must be tired of my responses lol

Tbh I saw the question and responded but missed that you had asked.

I hope getting another opinion from @CarloMNL helped.

:D
Not tired at all my friend I'm pretty durable. Lol
It's always good to get some viewpoints and opinions cuz we've got so many goodies to choose from.
25 mm and now to figure out a handle.

• Love
Reactions: nav
The Muhle STF brushes are great brushes. I have a 25mm and a 23mm I love them both. The difference between the 23mm and the 25mm looks like more than just 2 mm.

Brushes Muhle.JPG

The biggest difference is density.

The 23mm is a fairly sparse knot, but performs awesomely! No lather slinging, rapid lather generation, excellent splay and flow through.

The 25mm feels like a SHD badger brush...i.e. "wall of badger". It has stronger face feel and it's more responsive to pressure so can be fine tuned to your preference, whereas the 23mm will splay more readily, leaving less control over the amount of splay.

I have and love both sizes but if you can get just one, I'd go the 25mm for its very unique experience.
What is the difference in lather flow through between the 23mm and the 25mm? I am wondering if the extra density of the 25mm restricts flow through.

Also, how hard do you have to press the 25mm to your face to get it to splay? I am trying to avoid synthetics that are very springy and are hard to splay.

How are the Muhle handles for these two brushes size, weight and feel wise?

Thanks!

What is the difference in lather flow through between the 23mm and the 25mm? I am wondering if the extra density of the 25mm restricts flow through.

Also, how hard do you have to press the 25mm to your face to get it to splay? I am trying to avoid synthetics that are very springy and are hard to splay.

How are the Muhle handles for these two brushes size, weight and feel wise?

Thanks!

Flow through on both is excellent.

The 25mm has a loft of 57mm so even with the high density, it has great flow through, no lather hogging.

Also, they don't have huge glue bumps so you won't experience much lather coming out the bottom of the knot either.

The STF are not springy, nor do they fling lather everywhere.

Splay is very good. I really love the tactile feedback from the 25mm. I can push a little and it'll splay a little, I can push more and it'll splay more, without flopping over. I can even not push at all and it won't splay but keep it's shape like a badger, rather than giving a "pokey stick" feeling.

Handles are standard resin and are fairly comfortable to hold.

Flow through on both is excellent.

The 25mm has a loft of 57mm so even with the high density, it has great flow through, no lather hogging.

Also, they don't have huge glue bumps so you won't experience much lather coming out the bottom of the knot either.

The STF are not springy, nor do they fling lather everywhere.

Splay is very good. I really love the tactile feedback from the 25mm. I can push a little and it'll splay a little, I can push more and it'll splay more, without flopping over. I can even not push at all and it won't splay but keep it's shape like a badger, rather than giving a "pokey stick" feeling.

Handles are standard resin and are fairly comfortable to hold.
Thank you for all the great information!

Yah, it sounds like your brushes fit the timeframe for v1.5 and v2.

I have muhle 23mm and 25mm post-coin which are absolutely lovely!

I have 23mm and 25mm EJ STF which I'll keep forever but now I'm totally turned off the ej brands as they didn't even bother to disclose the change of fibre on their site!
Hey guys - I just happened to be reading this thread from a few months back and wanted to share some info that concerns the fiber type in the newer EJ STF brushes. I recall reading the info on the EJ website I have pasted below a year or so ago when I was wondering about the differences. This would indicate that EJ did disclose the 2020 changes in the fiber for its STF brushes. I don't mean to argue with Nav (he is a great member), but thought this info might be helpful.

Important Announcement:
New Synthetic Fill Shaving Brushes​

30th April, 2020​

30th April, 2020

The world of wet shaving is being transformed by significant advances in the design and performance of synthetic fibres which are emulating, and even surpassing, the benefits of the classic traditional English shaving brush.

The continuing advancement of this technology has allowed Edwin Jagger to improve even further the performance of its range of unique black and silver tip synthetic fibre shaving brushes.

The Sheffield company can now announce that it is one of the first manufacturers to complete its research and development of advanced performance shaving accessories and source and utilise a range of new, transformational synthetic fibres for the production of shaving brushes. With improved lathering qualities and an ability to further enhance the traditional wet shave experience, each Edwin Jagger synthetic fibre filled shaving brush perfectly emulates the performance of the traditional, classic, natural shaving brush.

Synthetic fibres have several clear advantages, including the fact that they are vegan friendly and contain materials that are sourced entirely without cruelty. These are factors that now influence many people when selecting traditional wet shaving products. Edwin Jagger has launched a new product catalogue for 2020 that shines a spotlight on our line of new design, unique synthetic fibre filled shaving brushes. Our entire shaving brush range is now offered with alternative synthetic fibre options, and our popular shaving sets now include synthetic fibre brushes as standard.

Extensive research and testing have shown that Edwin Jagger synthetic brushes offer a wet shave experience entirely comparable with, and in many cases superior to, the use of traditionally made shaving brushes. As noted above, these benefits are achieved without cruelty to animals.

First among the benefits of synthetic fibre is the fact that it is incredibly strong and durable. This allows the head of the shaving brush to retain a firmer, more defined shape when compared to traditional options. The robust performance of synthetic fibre enhances lathering and allows the head of the shaving brush to spring straight back to its original shape. This preserves the attractive bloom design, even if excessive pressure has inadvertently been used when lathering. This inherent strength in our synthetic fibres has also overcome the risk of snapping or shedding, which can reduce the performance and life expectancy of traditional shaving brushes if they are not cared for correctly.

A second major advantage is the fact that, despite their strength and durability, synthetic fibres actually provide the softest fill possible. This softness allows our synthetic brushes to provide an appreciably more luxurious lathering experience and makes them especially ideal for those with a sensitive skin.

Each Edwin Jagger synthetic fibre filled shaving brush features a blend of straight and crimped fibres that vary in thickness and length. This unique blended fibre filling is produced to a very precise specification and gives a natural shape to the head without the need for trimming or mechanical shaping. The structure of the fibre fill gives the brush a greater ability to trap and retain hot water, with the aid of the interlocked crimped features of each single fibre, whilst maintaining its important bloomed shape and its essential flexibility.

The main reason for the flexibility of the fibre filling is the use of synthetic fibres with varying thicknesses. The thinner fibres give the shaving brush an easy flexibility, which creates a soft, stimulating and luxurious lathering experience. The thicker fibres are a little stiffer and ensure that the synthetic fibres return to their original bloomed shape after the lathering process; this helps the brush to dry quickly.

The quick-drying properties of synthetic fibre filled shaving brushes make them the ideal choice for regular travellers. Synthetic fibre shaving brushes will dry much faster than their traditional counterparts. This reduces the risk of long-term damage caused by enclosing a damp or wet shaving brush. Synthetic fibres are non-absorbent and therefore much easier to clean with hot water, after which they will dry quickly. Regular washing in clean hot water prevents odours which can develop from slow drying or damp enclosed shaving brushes and trapped residue shaving cream or shaving soap.

Shaving brush maintenance has never been easier, which improves the performance and longevity of an Edwin Jagger product.

The Edwin Jagger 2020 product catalogue features two different styles of synthetic fibre fill: black synthetic fibre and synthetic silver tip fibre. Black synthetic fibre fillings are machine made, with machine blended fibres of different diameters and colours, then machine tied and glued. Each fibre filling consists of two different diameters of straight and crimped fibres. The single fibres are dyed black, but several strands of synthetic silver tip fibres are added as part of the blending process to each fibre fill to create a natural and aesthetically pleasing look that resembles the colour of this traditional, classic product. The combination of blended synthetic black fibres is the more cost-effective option offered by Edwin Jagger.

Synthetic silver tip fibre fillings, however, are handmade, hand blended, and hand tied. This allows them to be made from three different diameter fibres (a blend of 0.18mm, 0.15mm, and 0.10mm) as well as allowing a greater number of waved and crimped fibres to be added to each fill. This blend ensures the maximum retention of trapped hot water to produce a rich and luxurious shaving lather. Synthetic silver tip fibre fillings consist of individually dyed fibres with an aesthetically pleasing colouring that creates the appearance of the finest traditional product, making this Edwin Jagger shaving brush the superior option.

Importantly, from an overall general perspective, our synthetic fibres are very cost effective when compared with the equivalent classic alternative. This reinforces the efforts of Edwin Jagger to deliver market-leading products to its customers at the most competitive prices.

The demand for synthetic fibre filled shaving brushes continues to grow as consumers consider the ethical and environmental impact of what they buy. Edwin Jagger synthetic shaving brushes, filled with the latest technology synthetic fibres, are an excellent alternative to the time-honoured, classic brushes that are no longer the preferred choice of many wet shaving consumers worldwide.

Edwin Jagger continues to research advanced technology materials to enhance the manufacture of fine wet shaving products that best suit the ever-evolving needs of the consumer. The revolutionary assembly of each synthetic fibre filling, paired with exclusive design shaving brush handles manufactured by skilled Edwin Jagger craftsmen, creates a range of new synthetic fibre filled shaving brushes with design features and versatility that suit the modern demands of discerning wet shaving customers worldwide.

Top Bottom