What's new

New York Shaving Company

Has anyone ever try the the Soaps available from the New York Shaving Company ?

I am tempted to try it out.

That makes this many on my list of soaps and shaving creams I want to try (or already have) in sample packs:

Geo F Trumpers
Sterling
West Coast Shaving
New York Shaving Company
The Art of Shaving (already have)
Taylor of Old Bond Street (already have some, and just got a sample pack)
Proraso (already have)
Saint James of London
Mr. Fine

Other possible Shaving Accoutrements:
Castle Forbes
Moon Soaps

So many soaps and creams. So little time.

I've tried a sample of Elizabeth Street cream. OK performer. My face got really hot while lathering it and so I suspect I reacted to whatever scent is in the soap.

Didn’t know they were still in business… I tried a couple of their soaps/creams several years ago and wasn’t impressed. Not sure if they have changed things recently though so I hope you enjoy the samples!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I won't be able to help you there, only soaps I own are Tabac and Prorasso, the usual stuff. I am taking a new deep dive in Prorasso now, so next month I am going to be ordering more Prorasso stuff.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I order a number of samples from them one time and several items opened in shipping. I contacted them and never received any kind of reply from them. I never did business with them again.

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker
How is the tabac? Never knew about it till coming to this site. It seems a number of people have it including yourself.

I have the proraso red, yellow, and green preshave and shaving creams.
That is sandalwood, menthol & eucaliptus (not crazy about the smell, but I love how it tingles my face even after the shave) and wood & cedar in the respective colours.

I love the proraso stuff.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker
How is the tabac? Never knew about it till coming to this site. It seems a number of people have it including yourself.

I have the proraso red, yellow, and green preshave and shaving creams.
That is sandalwood, menthol & eucaliptus (not crazy about the smell, but I love how it tingles my face even after the shave) and wood & cedar in the respective colours.

I love the proraso stuff.

Tabac is probably the most popular shaving soap in the world. Many of barbershops have used it, so that iconic scent is what many remember, from going to the barbershop and getting a shave. Tabac, IMO, is a quality soap. The pro's when it comes to Tabac is, a high quality slick lathering soap, which you can also get in a nice ceramic bowl with top. The negatives are the flowery scent, which is more flowery then spicy. And depending on who you ask, the soap without menthol could also be seen as a negative as well.

But Tabac is an industry favorite, so it has to be a part of your shave den eventually. You can buy Tabac with the ceramic bowls for 25 dollars, then the refill pucks are around 15 dollars I believe. Yes, I am really enjoying the Prorasso so far! The only negative I can think of so far, is that it comes in a smaller size container then Tabac does. Having said that however, I am very happy with the performance of Prorasso. Just like Tabac, the Prorasso goes on with a nice and slick lather.

I just wanted to clarify, the RED container is sandlewood, no menthol that I can detect. My plan is to get the GREEN container next from Prorasso that contains the Eucalyptus and menthol. I know I will enjoy it already, how do I know you ask? A, I love Eucalyptus, and B, I love the menthol cooling effect I get from my PAA Star Jelly's aftershaves hehe.

I am really loving the Prorasso, just wait till I report on the forum what I am buying next for my shaving supplies hehe.

Yes, the red tube/tub is sandalwood. The green tube/tub is the menthol & eucalyptus which is the smell I have a difficult time with, but the tingle it leaves on my face is pretty desirable.

OK, for Tabac - thanks to you and others here who are on this site, I made a purchase for it through Amazon. More money being spent on shaving supplies. Oh boy. I would not be surprized if I spent over $1000 on shaving supplies since being here on this site over the past 2-3 weeks.

Not to mention - I just made a purchase for two strops from Tony Miller - thanks to everyones recommendations here.
1 strop is the "beginners strop" - AKA the value strop.
1 strop is the "premium strop" - AKA the premium strop. ;-) That strop is for when I feel confident I have my straight razor stropping technique just right. I should have it in a week or two. I am in no hurry for it at the moment despite the fact I have two SRs I recently purchased.

Got the tabac today. I like the scent. Another soap I will need to try later on.

I purchased some arko on a stick. I should have it later this week.

The new York shaving company samples I should also have later this week as well.

The Tony Miller strops should be here later this week as well.

What a bunch of goodies on the way!

What a shaving paradise I am acquiring!!!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

It is a shaving paradise, I agree! 👍 When you have a proper lather on your face, and a proper razor, shaving can be heaven.

I'm glad you like the smell of Tabac. The best part about Tabac is the slickness of the lather you get, which is superb for it's price point. Just remember, keep the ceramic bowl! Once the puck is used up, but the refill pucks.

You might have noticed that I'm a big fan of ceramic bowls. I wish Proraso soap came in ceramic bowls. I've since learned that everybody does their soap mediums differently.

And if Tabac makes you happy, then I will feel good about recommending it to you.

OK, I received the sample pack from New York Shaving Company today. I opened them to check out the scents.
For the most part - I was underwhelmed with it. Someone

The most disappointing one was the Lemon scent. I was REALLY looking forward to that. It does NOT smell like a lemon scent. The Elizabeth Street seemed to be an OK scent, but not anything really special.

The one I was MOST suprized with was the Old Saint Patricks scent. It is a rich musk scent. It smelled so good, that I purchased the shaving cream, pre-shave, and shaving balm from the company. I wrote to the company asking if they could offer a refund since I purchased the full-size Old Saint Patrick products.

Lets see what they say.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

OK, I received the sample pack from New York Shaving Company today. I opened them to check out the scents.
For the most part - I was underwhelmed with it. Someone

The most disappointing one was the Lemon scent. I was REALLY looking forward to that. It does NOT smell like a lemon scent. The Elizabeth Street seemed to be an OK scent, but not anything really special.

The one I was MOST suprized with was the Old Saint Patricks scent. It is a rich musk scent. It smelled so good, that I purchased the shaving cream, pre-shave, and shaving balm from the company. I wrote to the company asking if they could offer a refund since I purchased the full-size Old Saint Patrick products.

Lets see what they say.

Do you believe in love at first sight?

I don't have a full report on this yet, that will come later. But I received my first Artisan fancy soap from Stirling, the Black Cherry? I unscrewed the lid and took a sniff, as soon as I did, I fell in love with the soap at first site. I had to screw the lid back on quickly, I hope nobody was watching! So guess what soap will be next for my next shave, yep, you guessed it, Stirling Black Cherry.

I think I know why Artisan soaps cost more, they smell way better. Also, just looking at the consistency of the soap in the container, looks way different then Tabac or Proraso soaps. I think people call these artisan soaps, soft soaps? Is that what it is? All I know is, what it is, is going on my face in 2-days. Yes sir!

You can't make the scene if you don't have the green, so bring on the Old Saint Patricks soap, I'll bring the Stirling Black Cherry, we can have a shaving party woohoo. :thumbup:

Do you believe in love at first sight?

I don't have a full report on this yet, that will come later. But I received my first Artisan fancy soap from Stirling, the Black Cherry? I unscrewed the lid and took a sniff, as soon as I did, I fell in love with the soap at first site. I had to screw the lid back on quickly, I hope nobody was watching! So guess what soap will be next for my next shave, yep, you guessed it, Stirling Black Cherry.

I think I know why Artisan soaps cost more, they smell way better. Also, just looking at the consistency of the soap in the container, looks way different then Tabac or Proraso soaps. I think people call these artisan soaps, soft soaps? Is that what it is? All I know is, what it is, is going on my face in 2-days. Yes sir!

You can't make the scene if you don't have the green, so bring on the Old Stain Patricks soap, I'll bring the Stirling Black Cherry, we can have a shaving party woohoo. :thumbup:

Did you just get the Black Cherry ? As a sample or a full soap tub container ? Do you have any additional scents from them ?

I can tell you from the 10 or more sample soaps I got from them, they are all WINNERS !!! If you like citrus scents - the Lemon and the Orange are winners as well !!! If you are not feeling confident - you dont have to get the full size soaps. Just settle on the sample soaps which if you dont like, it would be nothing more than a small loss which you may be able to recoup by selling it here. Or to me. :-D

The soaps I got from them are:
Black Cherry
Orange
Lemon
Barbershop
Executive Man
Queen of Hearts
Sharped Dress Man
Sterling Gentleman
Texas on Fire
Vanilla Sandalwood
Sandalwood
Lavendar

A few I may also purchase are Paroahs Dreamsicle, Almond Creame, Light-Ish Red, Island Man, Intrepid Man, Iced Pineapple

Sterling has so many scents I would love to sample them all. Hells, I wish there was a store up the street from me to check out all their scents. But purchasing them all would be a bit too much for me at this time.

Now if you are willing to offer your CC to me for a purchase... I would be glad to accept the offer. 🙃

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Did you just get the Black Cherry ? As a sample or a full soap tub container ? Do you have any additional scents from them ?

I can tell you from the 10 or more sample soaps I got from them, they are all WINNERS !!! If you like citrus scents - the Lemon and the Orange are winners as well !!! If you are not feeling confident - you dont have to get the full size soaps. Just settle on the sample soaps which if you dont like, it would be nothing more than a small loss which you may be able to recoup by selling it here. Or to me. :-D

The soaps I got from them are:
Black Cherry
Orange
Lemon
Barbershop
Executive Man
Queen of Hearts
Sharped Dress Man
Sterling Gentleman
Texas on Fire
Vanilla Sandalwood
Sandalwood
Lavendar

A few I may also purchase are Paroahs Dreamsicle, Almond Creame, Light-Ish Red, Island Man, Intrepid Man, Iced Pineapple

Sterling has so many scents I would love to sample them all. Hells, I wish there was a store up the street from me to check out all their scents. But purchasing them all would be a bit too much for me at this time.

Now if you are willing to offer your CC to me for a purchase... I would be glad to accept the offer. 🙃

Dude, I am a bigtime lover of lemon scents, its the reason why I have Thayers Whitch Hazel in lemon scent, and why I have bottles of lemon essential oil in my home. The Lemon soap will more then likely be the next soap I get from Stirling. To answer your question, I bought the full size soap. I don't really buy into the sample thing, but I do understand why other's do, like yourself for example.

But I don't have the patience for samples. Cause if I do like a scent, then I got to wait another week to order the real deal in the full container. But hey, your my ginny pig, you can tell me which of those scents you find most awesome. But according to you, all the Stirling soaps smell amazing, you call them winners right?

And I don't know what CC is in relation to me?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

You know what the CC means. CC=Credit Card. :cool:

Oh I see, your telling me you have already maxed out all your credit cards, and you want mine to? Not gonna happen. You know what I suggest? Start making your credit payments, and do it fast, otherwise that APR is gonna rip a hole in you the size of mount everest. With my razor purchase, I get interest free for 6-months if paid in full by then. And no, you can't have it lol.

Dude, I am a bigtime lover of lemon scents, its the reason why I have Thayers Whitch Hazel in lemon scent, and why I have bottles of lemon essential oil in my home. The Lemon soap will more then likely be the next soap I get from Stirling. To answer your question, I bought the full size soap. I don't really buy into the sample thing, but I do understand why other's do, like yourself for example.

But I don't have the patience for samples. Cause if I do like a scent, then I got to wait another week to order the real deal in the full container. But hey, your my ginny pig, you can tell me which of those scents you find most awesome. But according to you, all the Stirling soaps smell amazing, you call them winners right?

And I don't know what CC is in relation to me?
One thing I should mention about the Sterling Soap Sample Packs - unlike shaving cream sample packs - which could last anywhere from 4 to 6 shaves (which is fine for me when it comes to sampling) the Sterling Soap Sample Packs are going to last you quite a while. If you were a daily shaver, I am guessing it would last you at LEAST a month, maybe 2. I am not sure how one would handle the soap as it gets smaller.

As you may know, I have samples all over the place from various companies. So the samples I have and the way I shave can easily last me at least 6 months, not including Sterling. For the Sterling soaps I have - it may take me a couple of years at least to go through them all. I wont be surprized if the Sterlings last me 5 years if I am stringent on going through the lathering technique. I think I was going through a time where I was shaving (with a razor) for a year without lathering or pre-shaving. Just wet and hydrate my face and shave. Works great for me. But now I am getting back into the full shaving routine and so far I am doing it religiously over the past month or so.

So when it comes to Sterling - I ENCOURAGE for anyone to purchase sample soaps from them since they will last you quite a while.

Top Bottom