What's new

A special thank you to all the members and this site.....

So you are one of those "rare species" here on the B&B. You are a.... GIRL ???!!! :-O :-O :-O

:-D
Yeah. Though we are using that term very lightly as it refers to actual age. I started a number of years back, quickly got into collecting (at a time where I was having acquisition problems in other areas, with light hoarding)… so, in the name of mental health, sent the entire collection off to charity (the one run here, the Saint Sue charity auction, held once a year in the fall)... and, didn't show up here again, partly embarrassment with myself at having impulse bought a ton of vintage stuff, partly that since I had already learned a fair bit, and had the two razors I kept (okay 3, but the Merkur Bakelite broke like two or three months later) and my brush and soap, because I was staying with DESR, that I didn't 'have' to go back, and frankly was worried I might slip into things (what? me? even consider 3 piece fakelight green with gold flecks double slant razor? not that that would ever happen) again.

Anyway, needed a new razor, knew this was the best place to come for info and recommendations. Got them, and was nicely gifted two razors by @airmech, so am staying at least until I do a couple of reviews for them, and probably a bit longer if I don't go crazy (that doesn't include the three soaps, and sampler pack of razors because I actually need them...honest...I have like 3 10 packs of Feathers, a couple of random blades (Merkur, Bic), and thats it. And my goto, Wilkinson, which I'm out of, I"m also not happy with...so sampler time. Plus drugstore blades are a ridiculous price)

So yeah, girl. Hence the DESRGRL. I don't usually announce it, but I do put a pretty scuttle out as my avatar (though it makes me a bit sad, as it is one that went to the auction). I also talk a lot.

@desrgrl

Yes, I noticed the last 3 letters in your name spells like Girl. But since the majority here is guys - and given that I've been here for only 2 weeks, I only spoke to guys here. Unless... if some are really undercover women....
But I would not want to ask if you were a girl since we have not had interactions in the past.

I would be embarrassed and out of fear of insulting someone if i were wrong which is why I did not want to ask.
But now that we are at it, I am guessing your name is Deserie.

But now that we are at it.... A nice adjustable Merkur Futur could be in your Future !!! ;-)

But hey.... You REALLY need more blades !!! Because I have you licked on the blade department. :p I dont know how many blades I have exactly, but currently, I believe I have at least 700 new blades at my disposal. Anyone who does not have at least 500 blades in their arsenal are just pure shaving amatures. 🙃

And perhaps you could use more on the soap/cream department too. ;-)

I believe I have at least 60 soaps and creams !!! But who is counting ? (Surely not me of course !!!) A few more soaps and creams on the way. Most of these are sample packs that I purchased recently from a variety of manufacturers.

So could I assume you would really like sandalwood and tobacco scents ? :-D
You could try lavender and rose shaving creams from Taylor of Old Bond Street. Those smell really good.

@desrgrl

Yes, I noticed the last 3 letters in your name spells like Girl. But since the majority here is guys - and given that I've been here for only 2 weeks, I only spoke to guys here. Unless... if some are really undercover women....
But I would not want to ask if you were a girl since we have not had interactions in the past.

I would be embarrassed and out of fear of insulting someone if i were wrong which is why I did not want to ask.
But now that we are at it, I am guessing your name is Deserie.

But now that we are at it.... A nice adjustable Merkur Futur could be in your Future !!! ;-)

But hey.... You REALLY need more blades !!! Because I have you licked on the blade department. :p I dont know how many blades I have exactly, but currently, I believe I have at least 700 new blades at my disposal. Anyone who does not have at least 500 blades in their arsenal are just pure shaving amatures. 🙃

And perhaps you could use more on the soap/cream department too. ;-)

I believe I have at least 60 soaps and creams !!! But who is counting ? (Surely not me of course !!!) A few more soaps and creams on the way. Most of these are sample packs that I purchased recently from a variety of manufacturers.

So could I assume you would really like sandalwood and tobacco scents ? :-D
You could try lavender and rose shaving creams from Taylor of Old Bond Street. Those smell really good.
Sorry, didn't mean that to sound like I was putting you in your place or anything, it was perfectly correct to ask and not assume.

No Futurs in my future, I don't like the look of them, and for me its the whole experience, there are plenty of razors around, I'm not going to use one that I don't like the look and feel of. I don't go through razors at near the rate as most guys, and I'm a bit bad for using them until they are as dull as dirt, a practice I want to get out of, so another reason for the sampler. I'd like to maybe have 1-3 brands that are what I use, and then order them in enough quantity that I'm okay, say for a year. I have a brush. I 'might' get another. I'm thinking about it. My silver tip is somewhat big, and that's fine for bath/shower, but I was thinking something smaller for just chin at the sink times. I'm keeping my Flare, the Slim I just got and likely the BB too, and the Parker for now, but I'll probably make it a PIF or auction item down the road. So... soap, I"m ordering three and the only reason I'd need more is if something goes horribly wrong... a scent that makes me sneeze, or the lather makes me itchy, or the scent is god awful... I highly doubt this, so, good to go, don't need more, and regardless of 'want' (oh look! new! shiny!), I'm not getting more.

Since you are so happy with getting into DE *cough* in a hypomanic frenzy of purchasing*cough*... I would suggest to just slow down, breath deep, and enjoy what you have before you buy more. Really experience things. How does this razor shave, do I like it the same when I change brands of razors? I like these blades, do they work equally with all my razors? If I don't like a blade, why, how can I explain it. Which scent do I most like? Are there scents I haven't tried... something more forest to join my spicy ones, something citrus, or flowery... find a niche rather than just end up with five different soaps that smell of sandalwood and cinnamon. Or types. One of my three is a stick. I haven't used a stick before, and it would also be nice for travel if needed, and its a brand (Arko) that I've heard things about.

Anyway, before you overdose, take some time to enjoy the journey. :) :)

I once PM'd @captp and asked if he was a grl.

He used Tinkerbell as his profile pic back in the day. He's not only A man, he's THE man.

I am but a farmer with a dream of being a real boy someday.
What do you farm? I grew up semi-rural with farms around, and my cousin married a farmer...it went from veg/cattle to veg/cattle/sheep to veg to veg/cattle. Probably...50 sheep or less? and not sure for cattle, I think its still a small number, like..6-12? Small, and god knows they've had some years of struggle, but with him, its definitely bred in the bone.

Grow up. There are plenty of members of B&B, myself included, who regularly use cartridge razors. There’s a forum dedicated to cartridge and electric razor users.
He's brand new to the site, and he said it somewhat jokingly. What you said, but maybe with the 'grow up' dropped off. I know, touchy subject on here, but still...give the new guy a chance to find that out. Oh wait, I guess he is. :) :)

He's brand new to the site, and he said it somewhat jokingly. What you said, but maybe with the 'grow up' dropped off. I know, touchy subject on here, but still...give the new guy a chance to find that out. Oh wait, I guess he is. :) :)
Being new isn’t an excuse for making insulting and condescending comments.

I love this site! Best forum in the world for individualism left on the net I would say.

@discomike Don't sweat it. You will be fine. You will get comments with the 'Bark on or the bark off', as an advisor to your President F.D.R once termed it.

I joined back in October. I am also new, and this site keeps me sane in an insane and increasingly intolerant world, especially on the internet.

I've got 6 razors now, including some of the best ever made, period. They cost me about £200 in total, due to advice from colleagues.

230 blades. I like discontinued Israeli Reds and Crystals. Stashed 130, also GWS Indian Saloons. 100.

4 soaps, Arko!, Tabac, Palmolive tubed, and some glorious Castle Forbes which was a PIF (Pass it forward, a great philosophy)

2 Brushes.

You know what? I am an excellent shaver, and getting better every day, due to these great people, and my own prior experience using the BIC orange disposable since about 1985. Before that the formidable BIC white handle. Damn they teach you technique!

Don't sweat the buying. Hone skills which you already have. However, there are as many opinions on everything in the community as there are members.

You will be fine.

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't mean that to sound like I was putting you in your place or anything, it was perfectly correct to ask and not assume.

No Futurs in my future, I don't like the look of them, and for me its the whole experience, there are plenty of razors around, I'm not going to use one that I don't like the look and feel of. I don't go through razors at near the rate as most guys, and I'm a bit bad for using them until they are as dull as dirt, a practice I want to get out of, so another reason for the sampler. I'd like to maybe have 1-3 brands that are what I use, and then order them in enough quantity that I'm okay, say for a year. I have a brush. I 'might' get another. I'm thinking about it. My silver tip is somewhat big, and that's fine for bath/shower, but I was thinking something smaller for just chin at the sink times. I'm keeping my Flare, the Slim I just got and likely the BB too, and the Parker for now, but I'll probably make it a PIF or auction item down the road. So... soap, I"m ordering three and the only reason I'd need more is if something goes horribly wrong... a scent that makes me sneeze, or the lather makes me itchy, or the scent is god awful... I highly doubt this, so, good to go, don't need more, and regardless of 'want' (oh look! new! shiny!), I'm not getting more.

Since you are so happy with getting into DE *cough* in a hypomanic frenzy of purchasing*cough*... I would suggest to just slow down, breath deep, and enjoy what you have before you buy more. Really experience things. How does this razor shave, do I like it the same when I change brands of razors? I like these blades, do they work equally with all my razors? If I don't like a blade, why, how can I explain it. Which scent do I most like? Are there scents I haven't tried... something more forest to join my spicy ones, something citrus, or flowery... find a niche rather than just end up with five different soaps that smell of sandalwood and cinnamon. Or types. One of my three is a stick. I haven't used a stick before, and it would also be nice for travel if needed, and its a brand (Arko) that I've heard things about.

Anyway, before you overdose, take some time to enjoy the journey. :) :)
Never took it as condescending or insulting or as trying to put me in my place. I was just being cautious and also im here to enjoy the ride along with you!!!

But I have to say, you have more self control on this site than I do or most men here do. You have 3 razors and soaps. I started with 1 razor and 4-5 soaps/creams 10 years ago. Now I am up to like 60 soaps/creams thanks to joining this site like 2 weeks ago.

I just got a tabac soap that arrived today and I will have an arko soap that will arrive later this week. I got those thanks to the interest of others here on this site, so I want to see what that's about.

I love reading your shave adventures. Keep it up. If you get anything new, we'd love to hear about it.

Thanks.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
What do you farm? I grew up semi-rural with farms around, and my cousin married a farmer...it went from veg/cattle to veg/cattle/sheep to veg to veg/cattle. Probably...50 sheep or less? and not sure for cattle, I think its still a small number, like..6-12? Small, and god knows they've had some years of struggle, but with him, its definitely bred in the bone.
I am an "ungentlemanly farmer" if the Mods could read my mind.

I only have the TAN of a farmer.

My Dad had farming in his blood, from back to the Irish potato famine days I believe. So, for fun, and to keep my ADHD behind in line, we and the neighbor had aboot 4 or 5 ACRES that we kids all werked in... What I do now is only aboot 20' x 100', and my wife really does the lions share of the werk... I'm the "Big Idea Man" that she wants to kill by the time the first frost hits!

Have I mentioned lately how blessed my wife is?

"Put another log on the fire, fix me up some bacon and some beans....."

I pray she NEVER joins this forum! But I'm pretty sure @dmshaver might try to draft her into this place!

Being new isn’t an excuse for making insulting and condescending comments.
So now I am throwing around insulting and condescending comments. Hmmm. Nearly 200 posts in 2+ weeks being here and this is what it comes to ? How interesting that this is the first I am hearing about it.

Someone is pretty touchy about their cartridge razors. I too have one myself which I keep handy when travelling since I won't travel with a razor to the airport. Or hospital, like I did last year. Except the hospital won't allow me to use it because they had me on blood thinners. And I made use of it for 2 weeks after I got home from the hospital. Cartridge razors do have their place. But hey, I like to have fun with it here on B&B and so far everyone else has been a pretty good sport about *** too.

@desrgrl

If you ever want to try a variety of soaps or creams, try out some of the sample size variety packs. If they are not available, you can try ordering from Amazon. Make sure to order from Amazon and not a third party, so that if you do not like the scent. You could always return it free of charge.

So now I am throwing around insulting and condescending comments. Hmmm. Nearly 200 posts in 2+ weeks being here and this is what it comes to ? How interesting that this is the first I am hearing about it.

Someone is pretty touchy about their cartridge razors. I too have one myself which I keep handy when travelling since I won't travel with a razor to the airport. Or hospital, like I did last year. Except the hospital won't allow me to use it because they had me on blood thinners. And I made use of it for 2 weeks after I got home from the hospital. Cartridge razors do have their place. But hey, I like to have fun with it here on B&B and so far everyone else has been a pretty good sport about *** too.
Just move on DM. Like I said, Bark on, or bark off. Let it rest.

@Alum Ladd @desrgrl @FarmerTan
I have a variety of razor blades I purchased a few years back which I have not tried yet. I mainly stuck with the merkurs, the astras, and the Feathers. I also used the wilkon sword black and the Bics.

I have a variety of different Gillette razor blades I am going to try this year. Along with the wilkon sword Gillette, voskhod, Derby, and a couple of other type of rasor blades in my stash. Since I am not a daily shaver, it will take some time beforeI get to them.

The feathers and astra green are my favorites. I do like the bic and the wilkinson sword black. I do like agressive razors and blades.
As I start going through my blade stash, I hope to add on more to that list with the now variety of razors I have available to me.

Hells, now that I have straight razors, I may forego the blades and use the straight razors exclusively. 🙃

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@Alum Ladd @desrgrl @FarmerTan
I have a variety of razor blades I purchased a few years back which I have not tried yet. I mainly stuck with the merkurs, the astras, and the Feathers. I also used the wilkon sword black and the Bics.

I have a variety of different Gillette razor blades I am going to try this year. Along with the wilkon sword Gillette, voskhod, Derby, and a couple of other type of rasor blades in my stash. Since I am not a daily shaver, it will take some time beforeI get to them.

The feathers and astra green are my favorites. I do like the bic and the wilkonson sword black.
As I start going through my blade stash, I hope to add on more to that list with the now variety of razors I have available to me.

Hells, now that I have straight razors, I may forego the blades and use the straight razors exclusively. 🙃
Paging @rbscebu !

Top Bottom