What's new

I Confess I’ve Been Cheating At Shaving

The whiskers under my chin and on my throat basically grow sideways. I can get them ATG with a straight with a little effort, except for (as now) when I'm wearing a goatee. Now it's basically impossible to get a straight razor under there at that angle without cutting either the goatee or my throat. If I'm still feeling some roughness there at the end I grab a disposable from a bag I've had forever. Why waste 5 minutes messing around when 5 seconds will do the trick?
Sounds like somebody needs a Barabossa! :a30:
Or a $20 shavette that takes injector blades, that will get in there.
I am at war with neck hair, sorry.

I have a Feather clone and it's still too long. A half DE shavette might be short enough but I'm not interested in finding out. It's about an 1.5" to 1.75" strip between the edge of my beard and my adam's apple. I can do reasonably well with a straight, opened as far as it will go and the point aimed down, using the heel. It's still not a perfect ATG but it's close, and also depends a lot on the shape and size of the blade. It's also not easy to get the shave angle low enough due to the weird way I have to grip it. I usually give that one shot and if it's still not acceptable I grab the disposable and give it a swipe, more effort with the straight usually ends in irritation due to the shave angle problem.

I don't consider it cheating mostly because it's still not as close as I can get with a straight under optimal conditions.

Also, I like the way I look with a goatee but I usually get sick of it after a couple months so it's really a temporary problem anyway😂

I'm doing the same thing with my straight. I'm still a newb. I already nicked wait it wasn't a nick it was a cut. I was trying to get fancy. I wasn't ready to get fancy. I showed my cut to my wife. She said not bad but not good. I took a pic of it I thought it was ok I think she was messing with me.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm doing the same thing with my straight. I'm still a newb. I already nicked wait it wasn't a nick it was a cut. I was trying to get fancy. I wasn't ready to get fancy. I showed my cut to my wife. She said not bad but not good. I took a pic of it I thought it was ok I think she was messing with me.
I have been "bitten" every time I straight shave. Coumadin sucks for that, but after 15+ years it's unlikely I will cut myself bad enough to require more than tissue paper.... But I have a tiny bit of tremors in my right hand from old nerve damage that might be getting werser as I age.

Lol, does ANYTHING besides "patience" get easier as I age?

Or super glue if you are comfortable putting it on your face 😬
Not a joke, I use it.

The whiskers under my chin and on my throat basically grow sideways. I can get them ATG with a straight with a little effort, except for (as now) when I'm wearing a goatee. Now it's basically impossible to get a straight razor under there at that angle without cutting either the goatee or my throat. If I'm still feeling some roughness there at the end I grab a disposable from a bag I've had forever. Why waste 5 minutes messing around when 5 seconds will do the trick?

I've got a Barbarossa (and other great shorties). I have a great Focus shavette that takes snapped DE half blades. Neither can do the work on my omnidirectional neck maelstroms that any hoe razor does quickly. So when I want a maximally smooth neck; a DE, SE or injector does the final work on the maelstroms. And yes I always have at least a goatee.

That said, I can get plenty close with my SRs unaided, but sometimes only the ultimate close shave will do.

Seeing how much gentler a straight razor makes my shave, even just using it for the first pass with the grain, it does indicate that DE razors scratch the skin a suprising amount. And I use a very light touch with DE razors.

Last edited:
I have been "bitten" every time I straight shave. Coumadin sucks for that, but after 15+ years it's unlikely I will cut myself bad enough to require more than tissue paper.... But I have a tiny bit of tremors in my right hand from old nerve damage that might be getting werser as I age.

As they say "Getting old is not for wimps!" It takes years of training and experience to be prepared for old age.

I was presribed Coumadin for a short time. You are a brave man. My doctor would have confiscated my straight.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I was presribed Coumadin for a short time. You are a brave man. My doctor would have confiscated my straight.
I'm not my momma's brightest boy...

And like every good nurse, I know what to tell the doctor!
As they say "Getting old is not for wimps!" It takes years of training and experience to be prepared for old age.
Amen, then I've been cheated too!

I look in the mirror and wonder who that old man is looking back at me...

Lately I’ve been using a straight razor for my first pass (WTG), then an aggressive DE razor for the second (ATG) pass and clean-up (if needed). Whether you are in the SR or DE camp, you might regard this as a cheat or betrayal of sorts. But the thing is, I’m getting the most amazing shaves this way. It gives me the gentleness on my skin of a SR shave, together with the closeness of a really thorough DE shave. Best of both worlds. I get the closest, longest-lasting shaves I’ve ever had and my skin feels as though it hasn’t been touched. All the babies in my neighbourhood are stroking their bottoms and eyeing me enviously.

Have any of you tried this? I think it might be the future. Maybe it’s a known technique but, if not, I reserve the right to give it a name.
While I am appalled by your barbaric and traitorous behaviour...

...all that matters is that YOU are satisfied. 🙂

Top Bottom