What's new

I Confess I’ve Been Cheating At Shaving

Lately I’ve been using a straight razor for my first pass (WTG), then an aggressive DE razor for the second (ATG) pass and clean-up (if needed). Whether you are in the SR or DE camp, you might regard this as a cheat or betrayal of sorts. But the thing is, I’m getting the most amazing shaves this way. It gives me the gentleness on my skin of a SR shave, together with the closeness of a really thorough DE shave. Best of both worlds. I get the closest, longest-lasting shaves I’ve ever had and my skin feels as though it hasn’t been touched. All the babies in my neighbourhood are stroking their bottoms and eyeing me enviously.

Have any of you tried this? I think it might be the future. Maybe it’s a known technique but, if not, I reserve the right to give it a name.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I did the same when I first used a straight as my technique was not good enough and I needed the DE to do a cleanup pass. I don't do that now but I certainly would if I wanted. Think of it as the ultimate adjustable. 👍

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Lately I’ve been using a straight razor for my first pass (WTG), then an aggressive DE razor for the second (ATG) pass and clean-up (if needed). Whether you are in the SR or DE camp, you might regard this as a cheat or betrayal of sorts. But the thing is, I’m getting the most amazing shaves this way. It gives me the gentleness on my skin of a SR shave, together with the closeness of a really thorough DE shave. Best of both worlds. I get the closest, longest-lasting shaves I’ve ever had and my skin feels as though it hasn’t been touched. All the babies in my neighbourhood are stroking their bottoms and eyeing me enviously.

Have any of you tried this? I think it might be the future. Maybe it’s a known technique but, if not, I reserve the right to give it a name.
Not really. When I started to use a straight razor, I was totally committed and haven’t used a DE since. I expect once you get ATG down with the straight you will forsake the DE as well. It just takes a bit of time and a lot of commitment.

Not really. When I started to use a straight razor, I was totally committed and haven’t used a DE since. I expect once you get ATG down with the straight you will forsake the DE as well. It just takes a bit of time and a lot of commitment.
But I wonder if a straight razor is really as suitable for against the grain and touching-up problem areas as a DE razor is, or if it can shave you as close on the final pass. A straight razor or shavette certainly is much, much gentler on the skin, though, and it is the best tool by far for the first pass.

I certainly haven’t mastered the straight razor yet, but I also don’t really see anyone claiming that a straight razor shave is as close as a DE shave.

All the babies in my neighbourhood are stroking their bottoms and eyeing me enviously.

I have never used a straight razor, but I'm glad that your neighborhood babies are getting involved.
Who knows ? There may be a few future traditional wet shaving fans within that group !

But I wonder if a straight razor is really as suitable for against the grain and touching-up problem areas as a DE razor is, or if it can shave you as close on the final pass. A straight razor or shavette certainly is much, much gentler on the skin, though, and it is the best tool by far for the first pass.

I certainly haven’t mastered the straight razor yet, but I also don’t really see anyone claiming that a straight razor shave is as close as a DE shave.
Take your time and the angles and touch will come with the SR. I did not start shaving ATG regularly until I had 500 shaves under my belt. Then, I started doing ATG above the upper lip and below the lower lip and chin. For some reason, my jaw line and cheeks are more sensitive to ATG but now I am shaving those as well, two and a half years in with a SR. A very sharp edge helps...a lot.

Its your face, your beard and your shave. If it works, for you, no one has the right to tell you that you are doing it wrong. On the other hand, if it is not working for you, then others can suggest what you are doing wrong.

As was noted above, I tend to use multiple razors during my shaves as I find that works best for me. I might start off with a straight razor or a DE razor or a SE razor, but I almost always finish up with a mild DE razor with a super sharp blade for my clean up pass.

Thus, what you are doing is not cheating; it is just using the tools available to you in an effective manner.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I say use as many things as you want to get a great shave. I prefer to use a SR and on occasion will enjoy a DE shave, but I don’t mix n match. I will claim that my SR shaves are just as close and certainly more comfortable than my DE shaves, with the razors I prefer and and the way I like to shave. It didn’t start out that way, but there’s no comparison for me now as far as closeness and comfort…SR every time.

One neat trick with a SR when going S to N on the jaw is if you keep it low the blade can continue into free air, it has nothing to go into. Assuming you have your skin fattened and head tilted. This can also work diagonally downward as long as make sure you don't have it aimed at anything. You just have to make sure you stop the blade before it gets to your collar bone.

I am mentioning this because it is something a lot of people grab a DE for and sometimes can be more dangerous with a large gap razor at a high angle.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod

Not me. I went from carts directly to SR shaving. I didn't have any "safety" razors. After a while I bought my first DE razor. The DE rarely gets used as I am very scared to shave with it.

Only real men shave with a "safety" razor where they can't see the edge on their skin.

Now with over 800 daily SR shaves, a BBS result is easy to attain with a SR and that BBS result lasts much longer than one obtained with a DE razor. In fact, it lasts too long and I have nothing to shave 24 hours later.

I now limit my SR shaves to; WTG, XTG + fool's pass and another XTG in the opposite direction. This gives me a DFS+ and something (not a lot) to shave 24 hours later. The fool's pass (ATG upper lip) requires the sharpest of blades and I do one every shave to test the shaving quality of the blade's edge.

Last edited:
I too was dedicated when it came to learning the straight razor. So I put every other type of razor away for the first 5 years or more. Then I decided I would learn to shave with every razor I own proficiently. This put a bit more learning to do as I needed to refresh myself by using all razor types. This took about 2 more years to learn to use them all. Now I use whatever I want when I want and get great shaves with them all. THAT makes me feel good.

What you are doing is a great way to learn the straight. Just keep improving your method and soon you will use a DE for just cleanup. Nothing wrong with mixing. I mix types often as I'm always adding to my collection.

DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY WHEN SHAVING! and don't worry if SWMBO complains you spend too much time in the bathroom.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Its your face, your beard and your shave. If it works, for you, no one has the right to tell you that you are doing it wrong. On the other hand, if it is not working for you, then others can suggest what you are doing wrong.

As was noted above, I tend to use multiple razors during my shaves as I find that works best for me. I might start off with a straight razor or a DE razor or a SE razor, but I almost always finish up with a mild DE razor with a super sharp blade for my clean up pass.

Thus, what you are doing is not cheating; it is just using the tools available to you in an effective manner.
My friend, you are doing it wrong!

FarmerTan

Not me. I went from carts directly to SR shaving. I didn't have any "safety" razors. After a while I bought my first DE razor. The DE rarely gets used as I am very scared to shave with it.

Only real men shave with a "safety" razor where they can't see the edge on their skin.

Now with over 800 daily SR shaves, a BBS result is easy to attain with a SR and that BBS result lasts much longer than one obtained with a DE razor. In fact, it lasts too long and I have nothing to shave 24 hours later.

I now limit my SR shaves to; WTG, XTG + fool's pass and another XTG in the opposite direction. This gives me a DFS+ and something (not a lot) to shave 24 hours later. The fool's pass (ATG upper lip) requires the sharpest of blades and I do one every shave to test the shaving quality of the blade's edge.
I am obviously a real man!

Don't laugh!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

A straight is every bit as good at those things you mention as a DE but don’t rush it until you get really comfortable with WTG. Eventually you will find it is actually easier to get around tough spots than a DE even though it may take a few hundred shaves. I don’t even think about it any more; it’s just the way I shave. It is a self learned skill. You just. Have to keep doing it and as you go, everything will just fall in place so take your time with it. Time spent shaving will eventually be about the same as a DE. It takes me five minutes or less to do a two pass shave which is the most I do but I’ve been doing it four years now. In the end it is well worth the effort. The greatest benefits are no irritation and no nicks plus straight razors are beautiful objects in there pure simplicity. I’m my opinion, shavettes are just too sharp to learn on. Some do it but I couldn’t. As long as you are enjoying shaving, all is cool regardless of the system you choose.

FarmerTan

A straight is every bit as good at those things you mention as a DE but don’t rush it until you get really comfortable with WTG. Eventually you will find it is actually easier to get around tough spots than a DE even though it may take a few hundred shaves. I don’t even think about it any more; it’s just the way I shave. It is a self learned skill. You just. Have to keep doing it and as you go, everything will just fall in place so take your time with it. Time spent shaving will eventually be about the same as a DE. It takes me five minutes or less to do a two pass shave which is the most I do but I’ve been doing it four years now. In the end it is well worth the effort. The greatest benefits are no irritation and no nicks plus straight razors are beautiful objects in there pure simplicity. I’m my opinion, shavettes are just too sharp to learn on. Some do it but I couldn’t. As long as you are enjoying shaving, all is cool regardless of the system you choose.
Not like riding a bike, but I find it like learning to play the drums.

I just listened to Rock and Roll and pretended to be "Moon the Loon" and before I could say "Who are you?" I was playing.

I don't think I could sit down behind a set and play anything more than a back beat now, but give me a week and I'd play in a bar.

Nothing like a bunch of drunks to give me some courage!

I wish I could rise to your level of cheating, mine is so much worse. I don’t use an SE razor. If I have some cut spots I am letting heal, the next day or so I will use my Trac II in those areas. I might even (*gasp!) use an electric razor. There. Glad to get that off my chest.

FarmerTan

I wish I could rise to your level of cheating, mine is so much worse. I don’t use an SE razor. If I have some cut spots I am letting heal, the next day or so I will use my Trac II in those areas. I might even (*gasp!) use an electric razor. There. Glad to get that off my chest.
Thanks for piping up my friend!

The umbrella is big enough for even dry shaving once in awhile!

Man, I crack my own self up ever' once in awhile!

The whiskers under my chin and on my throat basically grow sideways. I can get them ATG with a straight with a little effort, except for (as now) when I'm wearing a goatee. Now it's basically impossible to get a straight razor under there at that angle without cutting either the goatee or my throat. If I'm still feeling some roughness there at the end I grab a disposable from a bag I've had forever. Why waste 5 minutes messing around when 5 seconds will do the trick?

FarmerTan

The whiskers under my chin and on my throat basically grow sideways. I can get them ATG with a straight with a little effort, except for (as now) when I'm wearing a goatee. Now it's basically impossible to get a straight razor under there at that angle without cutting either the goatee or my throat. If I'm still feeling some roughness there at the end I grab a disposable from a bag I've had forever. Why waste 5 minutes messing around when 5 seconds will do the trick?
Well said my friend.

Top Bottom