What's new

I Just Ordered A Bunch Of Shaving Supplies - Opinions?

I think every person who has ever lurked (let alone joined) this forum has gone through what you are going through now. This pursuit is a practical one in the sense that you'll never know until you try.

Your skin and technique will tell you what works and doesn't work for you. In my case, Proraso Green wasn't for me but the White was ok. Witch Hazel works for me but others dislike it.

I don't really think shaving sticks are going to be in my future, I really don't like the idea of them. I prefer shaving soap puck, brush, and bowl. Don't you guys feel like your rubbing your face with deodorant when using those soap sticks? They always seem difficult to get a proper lather, when I have seen guys use them in vidoe's.

I've used La Toja sticks and preferred them for travel. Like any cream or soap, you have to figure out how to make them work for you. I also tried Speick sticks once. Good soap but La Toja's packaging was easier to pack and stow.

OK guys, I couldn't stop myself, I needed one more thing, but no its not a shaving supply per say. You guys know those awesome little car freshener trees called Black Ice? They only have the greatest scent in the world, makes you wanna wear it. So I did my research, what does Black Ice Smell Like.

Quick and short answer is: It smells like Davidoff Cool Water cologne. So I picked up my first bottle of it. And you know how I am guys, I follow Texas motto of doing things, if I am going to do it, I am going to do it big, and bought the 6.7 ounce bottle. Yes sir!

View attachment 1433528

Before you ask whats going on, Star is having a life changing experience. You guys brought me to the side of the light, and I am getting my civilized act together, getting myself squared away.

PS: Thanks goes to @thombrogan for explaining the acronym, I got truly lost with some of them.
If you like air fresheners for your car, I suggest a stick of ARKO.

Proraso Green is a natural for Summer. All you need now is the big bottle of Proraso Green aftershave.
:biggrin1:
View attachment 1433400

BTW, there are these things called samples...ah, never mind, you will be in good shape for quite a while now.
Yes, I would say the only thing missing is Proraso green aftershave. It is far and away my very favorite aftershave. It is made with Italian style and grace, boosts my intelligence, and makes me almost as handsome as @FarmerTan

I prefer shaving soap puck, brush, and bowl. Don't you guys feel like your rubbing your face with deodorant when using those soap sticks? They always seem difficult to get a proper lather, when I have seen guys use them in vidoe's.
I am a dedicated bowl latherer too, but having a stick or two is a fun diversion for me. They are great for travel. You still need a brush. There is something magical about rubbing an invisible layer of soap on the skin, working with a damp brush, and having beautiful lather appear. Maybe I'm just easily amused :)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Thank you guys! I am just trying to find my way through this maze of a journey of mine. Its not easy when your first starting out, but I am doing the best that I can. For those that may have missed it, I did order the green aftershave balm, here's the picture.

1648995549957.png

Most of my order will already come today believe it or not, but some will come at a later date, because a couple of soaps, plus the cologne, were ordered on different sites. Thanks for being so supportive guys, I really appreciate it.

This is a good time to learn about language.
TV music: doo do do doo... The more you know.

With Italian products a balm, or balsam as they call it, is a non alcohol lotion. A lotion is a liquid with an alcohol base that you splash on your face, a splash. So again, up is down, left is right, etc. Adoro la lingua ltaliana.

TV music: doo do do doo... The more you know.

We look forward to your thoughts on the products you purchased.

I use the green soap and like it.

I think you will enjoy the aftershave as well. It's not a scent match and it took me a couple of weeks before I got over that. But my skin feels great after I use it. Will probably purchase a big bottle when I run out.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Hello everyone, how are we all doing today? Well hopefully as good as me, cause I am doing stellar! 😁

I wanted to provide a quick report on two products that I just tried today, to tell you how much I like, or don't like them. I tried the Proraso GREEN shaving soap, and the Proraso GREEN Pre-Shave today. I began with the Pre-shave. Goodness gracious great balls of fire, that pre-shave is strong guys! Look, I know what Eucalyptus smells like, I have a bottle of it in essential oil.

But there isn't just the scent of Eucalyptus in the pre-shave, there is something else, and I am having difficulty pinning it down, maybe possibly its a mix of sandalwood notes in it. All I know is, I would have preferred if it just smelled like Eucalyptus and not whatever that is, but I am sure I will get used to it over time. As far as how the pre-shave worked out, it made my face slick, left it on for awhile before I lathered up. And it provides a tingly coolness factor, would be great for summer time use when its hot out!

The cream is kind of hard in the job, its not soft like whipped cream. Once you get some in your fingers, spread it around, and then apply to the face and neck, it went on well no issues. I was actually surprised, given how hard the cream is in the jar, how easily it spread around. Did it help the shave any? Kind of hard to say actually, it may have softened up my hairs further since washing my face, its just really hard to tell. Considering the cost of the product, the jury is still out on weather or not this is good.

Now, I want to talk about the Proraso GREEN Eucalyptus shaving soap. Comes in their standard plastic tubs, the swirled puck contained within. I most certainly detect the scent of Eucalyptus right away, but I am also detecting the usual scent of Proraso Sandlewood shaving soap in the RED tub as well. I think what Proraso did was mix the two scents together. I did bloom the soap guys, but despite doing that, it still took a while to gather the soap up on my brush.

Keep in mind, I am working with a substandard brush, a pure badger, with next to no backbone, who's hairs are splayed way out, so that probably doesn't help matters. But eventually I got enough from the puck, transferred to the Captains Choice LARGE Bowl, and began whipping up a lather. It took a little longer then expected to whip up the lather, I added a tiny bit of water to aid in it, totally using the ridges at the bottom of the bowl of course to aid in whipping it up too.

Eventually I got a slick enough lather going, and applied to my face. The Eucalyptus half of the scent smells good, and I was able to spread the lather on my face and neck nice and slick. Do I think that Proraso is as slick of a lather as Tabac? Heck no! I think Tabac still beats Proraso in that regard. But guys, you can only get Tabac in like one scent, I mean, seriously what the heck Tabac, get your soaps together man, we want more scents! lol

I did not use the Proraso WHITE today, but I did take a sniff of the dry puck because I was curious. Got to be honest, don't like the scent very much. Its supposed to smell like citrus, but instead, it smell like vegetation that grows in the ground, like plant leaves. Maybe the Proraso WHITE shaving soap requires it to be bloomed, wet, and lathered up, for it to smell like citrus? I guess I will find out at a later date.

Alright, thats my report on the Proraso GREEN shaving soap, and Proraso GREEN Pre-Shave.

Interesting, I haven't noticed any sandalwood in the green soap.

I find Proraso soaps easy to load without blooming, with a boar or a synthetic (plissoft, not a lot of backbone). Never tried a badger.

Tabac is certainly slicker of the two. Maybe something like Haslinger could be a bit closer to it in performance, and they have many different scents. That said, the scents are nothing special in my opinion, it's all about the performance.

I did not notice any citrus in the white either, and I can't remember if it's even supposed to have any citrus in it. Didn't like the scent at all.

In my opinion, you need to STOP spending money on soap!

LOL, you are approaching critical mass in your main thruster array, and it's about to blow!

"Number One, engage!"
I was debating whether we should start an intervention thread for @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker and @discomike before they drain their bank accounts dry.

My advice to discomike in another thread, and it applies here...slow down and enjoy the journey!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I was debating whether we should start an intervention thread for @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker and @discomike before they drain their bank accounts dry.

My advice to discomike in another thread, and it applies here...slow down and enjoy the journey!
And there is SO much stuff out there! AND so many generous folks wanting to get rid of stuff not being used. I need to do a PIF, doggone.... Lol, I should make it open to only people that PROMISE to not buy ANYTHING for a month!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I've already spent as much as I was willing to spend. After all the stuff arrives in the mail, I won't be ordering anymore for the year. The plan was to get a years worth of supplies of soap, and I think I've achieved that. As always, I will continue posting pictures for all the stuff that comes in.

Top Bottom