What's new

Classics not to be missed?

What are (in your opinion) the classic scents and/or soap makers that should not be missed by any wet shaver?

I haven't yet tried any Taylor of Old Bond Street, but I can imagine someone saying, for example, "Mr. Taylor is THE quintessential TOBS soap/scent - it is a must try!"

I'm trying to "educate" myself so-to-speak. All suggestions welcome! 🤗

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Of the classic soaps that I have tried and which are still in my rotation, the ones I would recommend that everyone try are:

Shulton Old Spice
Yardley Lavender
Yardley Black Label
Cussons Imperial Leather
Goya Cedarwood
Goya Corvette
Tabac Tallow
Arko

Deffinitely Tabac and of course it shoukd be old tallow formula! But sadly it is unobtanium. Keep an eye on the bay and BST forum, maybe you get lucky. Also I've been toying with idea of putting one of my Tabac sticks (tallow of course) up on the yearly B&B charity auction.
Guys should I do it? Will there be interest? Or should I wait untill it passes into legend as Irish Moss?

In addition to the above, I am easily a fan of Captain's Choice shaving soaps. Not only is @Captain Pre-Capsize a forum member, but his products are top notch and reasonably priced. The base for his soaps should all be more or less the same. You can start with a sampler pack to see which scent you like the best. I personally like Venture and the recently discontinued Land Ho the most.

When it comes to TOBS, I would recommend the Sandalwood, as that seems to be its classic line. I happen to enjoy using TOBS hard soap, but many forum members have complained about how they struggle to make lather with it. The key, for me, is to bloom the soap for 5-20 minutes (depending on whether I'm brushing my teeth or showering before my shave) by placing it face down in my Captain's Choice lather bowl that has had water in it up to the tops of the ridges at the bottom of the bowl.

Again, Welcome to B&B, Sir BRC!

Here are some of my suggestion for "classic shave soaps"!

classic soaps.jpg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Well, ok, I will be the first to say it:

ARKO
adjective
adjective: classic
  1. 1.
    judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind. (outstanding, of the highest quality, first-class)
remarkably and instructively typical.
"Hamlet is the classic example of a tragedy"

OK, so apparently there is a definition that currently escapes my notice that would allow Arko to be considered a classic. :pipe:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
The classics are a bit debatable and no two lists will ever agree, but here goes.

Proraso
Tabac
La Toja
Haslinger
Palmolive (stick or cream)
Cella
MWF- you'll either love it or hate it
Arko- only til you realise that no civilized person should use it

Honourable mentions
RazoRock
Stirling

MdC if you don't baulk at the price, I haven't tried it yet but I am hopeful to this year

Tabac, MWF, Haslinger, Cello, and Arko are my usual rotation. There's enough variety there to keep things interesting.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
This list is based more on performance than scent although there are some good scents for some of these products.

Mitchell's Wool Fat
Taylor of Old Bond Street shave cream (many scents available)
Tabac (tallow)
PAA soaps (CK or CK-6)
Castle Forbes shave cream (several scents available)
Stirling Mutton tallow soaps (several scents available)
Mike's Natural Soaps (many scents available)

The classics are a bit debatable and no two lists will ever agree, but here goes.

Proraso
Tabac
La Toja
Haslinger
Palmolive (stick or cream)
Cella
MWF- you'll either love it or hate it
Arko- only til you realise that no civilized person should use it

Honourable mentions
RazoRock
Stirling

MdC if you don't baulk at the price, I haven't tried it yet but I am hopeful to this year
Couldn't agree more, I was hoping for a variety of opinions and I definitely got it. It is interesting to see what gets repeat mentions though.

I am realizing what MWF stands for, but what is MdC?

Top Bottom