What's new

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Star Jelly Aftershaves

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Star Wahl Clipper Treker here coming to you loud and proud with an opinion on a product that apparently not a whole lot of people have tried. Its Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Star Jelly aftershaves. So far, I've bought only two of them, but I have plans to buy more next month. Here's what I got!

Boomtown Bay Rum & Cold Spices
proxy.php
proxy.php

So far, I am really liking these star jelly's. First of all, don't let the name fool you, its not a jelly product like shave gel. It actually is closer to aftershave balm then anything else in consistency. However, where it differs from your standard balm, is it has elements of an aftershave splash within it. While some PAA star jelly's do not contain menthol, these ones however do. So when you combine the alcohol menthol content of a afershave splash, with an aftershave balm, you get star jelly.

I am not a big fan of aftershave splash, as I feel its too liquidy, too much alcohol, and no real moisturization that I can ever detect from them, of course I have no experience with artisan based alcohol aftershave splashes, I've only used the cheap stuff you find in the store, like Brute for example. And the problem with a full aftershave balm, is it can tend to be a bit on the greasy side with some of them, and stay wet for a long period of time on the skin.

The best part that I like about these star jelly's, is it gives me the benefits of an aftershave balm, moisturizes the skin, but the menthol has a nice cooling effect, while the alcohol kills bacteria left on the skin. They also have the benefits of scent. And because PAA has like 20 of these things, there is gotta be some sent that some will like I am sure. So I began my journey with Boomtown Bay Rum. Regarding the scent, I gotta be honest, I am not a fan.

OK so, I kind of like the smokey nature of the Boomtown Bay Rum, but I just am not a fan of the rest of the scent notes within. But this stuff cost me money, so I will keep using it. Now, the Cold Spices scent is much better IMO. They rate it to smell like Old Spice. Now, if Old Spice scent don't bring you back to your past as a kid, smelling your dads aftershave calogne nostalgia, I don't know what will. IMO, the Cold Spices scent gets close to the Old Spice scent, but not completely.

Lets just say they did a pretty good job with Cold Spices, and I like it more then the Boomtown Bay Rum scent. My question to you guys is, have you guys tried these star jelly aftershaves, and what is your opinion on them? What do you guys prefer in an aftershave? Do you like the liquidy aftershave splashes better? Or do you prefer the aftershave balms more? Or, are you like me, taking a giant leap for mankind, and trying out and enjoying star jelly's?

I've got the (now discontinued) Sun Down Star Jelly. I have to say I like it, it leaves my skin feeling nice, and isn't as thick as some of the balms I've tried. Skin seems to soak it right up. Can't say that it has as strong a fragrance as I'd like, but it could also be the particular one I have. I also had COVID a couple months ago 👃so YMMV.

I do go for my standard splashes 9 times out of 10 however. Still trying to figure out the spot this guy will fill for me.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I've got the (now discontinued) Sun Down Star Jelly. I have to say I like it, it leaves my skin feeling nice, and isn't as thick as some of the balms I've tried. Skin seems to soak it right up. Can't say that it has as strong a fragrance as I'd like, but it could also be the particular one I have. I also had COVID a couple months ago 👃so YMMV.

I do go for my standard splashes 9 times out of 10 however. Still trying to figure out the spot this guy will fill for me.

Nice to get a visit from Jon Luc Picard, now that you've gotten a chance to run off and hide in your ready room shave den on Picard day. 😁

Weird that they would create a star jelly, just to discontinue it later, my only guess is, not a lot of people liked it? Ya, I appreciate the skin moisturization that I get from the star jelly's. So sorry to hear that you got Covid, its well known to kill your scents of smell and taste. Hopefully, in your recovery from covid, you don't have lasting effects as some people do.

What I find interesting is, most guys seem to love the splashes more. I can't tell ya how much I hear guys talk about Whitch Hazel aftershave splash, not just on this site mind you, but also in Youtube video's. Its making me think that I really need to try the stuff. There is a guy on Youtube who has it in the big bottle.

If you ever try any other PAA star jelly's, please report here with your findings. I appreciate the report though, and the conversation. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Of all the products that guy sells, Star Jelly is the one that tempts me most.... No idea why.

He does a great job of ALMOST sucking me in with his descriptions of his Aftershave Lotions... I'm a MAJOR sucker for scents.

As for descriptions, @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker , you did a better job in 1/10 of the werds the weird dude in the Pith Helmet uses! Thanks for the scent descriptions.

Hey! @Zenmaster87 : what do you think (or anyone else for that matter!) think of the "Sun Down" scent?

He supposedly based it on the Gillette "Sun Up(?)" from the 60's, if I recall korrecklee...

Pith Helmet Dude has been known to bring products back from time to time that have sold out...

Of all the products that guy sells, Star Jelly is the one that tempts me most.... No idea why.

He does a great job of ALMOST sucking me in with his descriptions of his Aftershave Lotions... I'm a MAJOR sucker for scents.

As for descriptions, @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker , you did a better job in 1/10 of the werds the weird dude in the Pith Helmet uses! Thanks for the scent descriptions.

Hey! @Zenmaster87 : what do you think (or anyone else for that matter!) think of the "Sun Down" scent?

He supposedly based it on the Gillette "Sun Up(?)" from the 60's, if I recall korrecklee...

Pith Helmet Dude has been known to bring products back from time to time that have sold out...
I like the Sun Down scent, I’ve never smelled Sun Up, but it does smell like Foamy to me, and I understand Sun Up and Foamy to have the same fragrance.

FarmerTan

I like the Sun Down scent, I’ve never smelled Sun Up, but it does smell like Foamy to me, and I understand Sun Up and Foamy to have the same fragrance.
Thanks my friend. That not only makes sense, it helps me decide....

I have an unscented star jelly sample coming in the mail from PAA now, I'm very curious to see if it's for me. I do have a question though about the menthol because I see they offer a mentholated and non mentholated version of each scent. Does the addition of menthol add any elements of mint to the scent and throw the scent off, of does it only provide a cooling effect to the skin? I'm not opposed to a cooling effect, but I'm not much of a fan of minty scent notes. Thanks!

FarmerTan

I have an unscented star jelly sample coming in the mail from PAA now, I'm very curious to see if it's for me. I do have a question though about the menthol because I see they offer a mentholated and non mentholated version of each scent. Does the addition of menthol add any elements of mint to the scent and throw the scent off, of does it only provide a cooling effect to the skin? I'm not opposed to a cooling effect, but I'm not much of a fan of minty scent notes. Thanks!
Good question.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Menthol only cools the skin, it does not provide any scent. If you smelled mint, thats because the artisan put mint in it, as it product was meant to be mint scented.

I have to get more PAA star Jelly. Like guys mentioned, thicker than a balm (about the consistency of a hand moisturizer) The "Frost Byte" is amazing. What a wollop it packs. That mentholated 'Cold Burn'. To be clear I have sensitive skin and the Burn (which is really pleasant). lasts for ten minutes and is only sensory, no irritation. Anyone have other ones they like not yet mentioned?
inbound2147084294123838591.jpg

FarmerTan

I have to get more PAA star Jelly. Like guys mentioned, thicker than a balm (about the consistency of a hand moisturizer) The "Frost Byte" is amazing. What a wollop it packs. That mentholated 'Cold Burn'. To be clear I have sensitive skin and the Burn (which is really pleasant). lasts for ten minutes and is only sensory, no irritation. Anyone have other ones they like not yet mentioned? View attachment 1669977
I'm no help, but what do think of that razor my friend?

I also like the star jelly. I've had both positive and negative opinions with a variety other balm type products. I think I've decided on a good quality unscented moisturizer with a spray of the EdT/cologne versus a dedicated balm for every scent. I prefer the longevity of an EdT so I consider the aftershave an unnecessary step.

Garden of Bali Star Jelly Aftershave
Lightly Mentholated

The scent notes on this one are all over the place and I’m not sophisticated enough to pick out any of them.
What I get is the wonderful scent of walking into a flower shop.
I don’t know if it’s one particular flower that I am smelling, but to me it’s just a gorgeous scent and one of my favorites from all the star jelly aftershaves that I have.

Now you might ask “Hey Mix! Why would I want to smell like a flower shop?!?”

Well possibly because your significant other will love the scent like my wife does, and that might earn you a few bonus points for the next time you’re trying to justify your most recent purchase of “more shaving crap”.
But we all know how much your mileage may vary on that one…

Or should it be – Your EV Range May Vary ???

1688255061823.png

It’s great stuff. I bought my first bottle this past winter and really like it. Nice application and not greasy. Atomic Age Bay Rum is a favorite of mine in both aftershave and Star Jelly.

Top Bottom