What's new

My Wet shaving club "The Winning razor" arrived today. (And my Lupo DE as well)

Curiosity over the Henson led me to buying the Winning razor. I've only been DE shaving for 3 months but have already acquired 5 razors and have tried pretty much every blade. I shave daily! Same basic design as the Henson but the winning razor is stainless steel and it's made by Yates in the USA. In terms of the head, it's supposed to be a little more aggressive than the Henson medium. If that's the case, I think I made the right choice (I've learned that I tend to favor some aggressiveness from the razors/blades). I used it tonight for the first time on a 2 day beard growth with a Bic blade, King of Shaves gel and finished off with my Aqua Velva shave balm. (For those that haven't tried it, the Aqua Velva shave balm is incredibly good, excellent for night shaves before bed).

So what I found with the Winning razor was something unexpected. The closeness that I got from a 2 pass shave was shockingly close. And this comes from a razor that I found to be incredibly mild. I don't believe I'd be able to nick myself with this thing even if I tried! I don't know how but it really mows down beard growth with the effectiveness of an aggressive shaver. I don't shave against the grain, I first shave with the grain and then across the grain on the second pass. The quality of the razor is A-1!
It's got some machine marks which is to be expected from a $50 stainless steel razor but I don't mind that. My priority is the quality of the shave and the alignment. It's pretty perfect in that respect!

Another thing is that it's a heavy razor which I like for this type of razor which has a medium length handle. The head takes some practice in terms of the angle (it's a bit different) but I figured it out on my first pass. Edging my goatee & sideburns with the squared off head will take some practice as well. The suction that some speak of while using it is evident but nothing that affects the shave. Overall this razor is a bargain for $50 and it gave me the closest shave I've ever had. I will always have it in rotation and it's primary use will be quick shaves when I have no time for a "long" shave. Since it's pretty much foolproof, It's perfect for that. Excellent novice shaver and for the shaving expert that wants a no-nonsense and safe fast shave. Highly recommended!
As for the Lupo, It's the aluminum DE and I'll be trying it out tomorrow night for the first time. It looks incredibly well built and it's very light. My shaving bowl arrives tomorrow so the Lupo will be part of my first ever "Proraso shave soap" shave. I'm finally moving up to shave soaps!
Here are some pictures of both the "Winning razor" and the Lupo:

S1.jpg
S2.jpg
S3.jpg
S4.jpg
S5.jpg

Last edited:
The real cheat code with these mild razor, for daily shaver, is ATG. Even one pass when you get good at it, being careful, is still the fastest shave. You have to work out the road map for yourself, but I go from my neck L-R in sections all the way up. You don't need, and might not want, any crazy stretching due to the design. It will negate the benefit of the suction effect plus the design does a fine job displacing the skin ahead of the blade. Just a light pull to move skin around and a head tilt is all that is needed. Short fast strokes will prevent the blade from catching and going into skin then you can go back over with a longer stroke after adding some water to the area. Enjoy your new razors!

Congratulations on two wondrful inexpensive but great tools and thanks for the detailed review of the winning razor.

After reading a lot of positive reviews and some of its unique characteristics similar to your feedback regarding the angle, suction effect, smoothness and efficiency, I finally made a purchase. Eagerly waiting for it.

Last edited:
Two totally different razors. Enjoy them both. I love the Aluminum Lupo. I have the Winning razor but it wasn’t for me. In fairness, I only used it once. I will take it out of the little bag it came in and try it out again. Thanks for sharing.

Another trick with the Winning, and even more so with the lighter Henson, is to use a thinner and slicker lather. If you go for a thick, yogurt-y lather it just gets pushed aside in my experience. For that reason, I've been using a glycerine-based soap.

Another trick with the Winning, and even more so with the lighter Henson, is to use a thinner and slicker lather. If you go for a thick, yogurt-y lather it just gets pushed aside in my experience. For that reason, I've been using a glycerine-based soap.
I used it with my normal King of Shaves gel and it performed excellent with that. It's super slick! I'll be trying it with shaving soap next which is thicker. We'll see how it works with that!

Two totally different razors. Enjoy them both. I love the Aluminum Lupo. I have the Winning razor but it wasn’t for me. In fairness, I only used it once. I will take it out of the little bag it came in and try it out again. Thanks for sharing.
I didn't care for the Winning razor after the first shave. I found though that the more shaves that I had with it the more impressed I became until now it is almost the only razor that I use. Give it 7 shaves and see if your opinion doesn't change.

So tonight I shaved with my new Lupo DE. My first aluminum!
Definitely a different animal than stainless. I had to adjust to the fact that it has no weight
so hand pressure was the dominant force in the shave. It felt nice though and you could hear the
cutting noise because of the aluminum. A very satisfying shave!
The "winning razor" was the clear winner in closeness between the two. As I said before, that one
gave me the closest shave I've ever had!
It is possible though that I was being conservative with the Lupo in terms of how much pressure I was applying.
Since I'm not used to the "lightweight", I was probably not pressing it very hard. I'll have get more practice
with it to see how it progresses. All in all though I really like the quality of the Razorock shavers.
This Lupo is my first Razorock but won't be the last!

So tonight I shaved with my new Lupo DE. My first aluminum!
Definitely a different animal than stainless. I had to adjust to the fact that it has no weight
so hand pressure was the dominant force in the shave. It felt nice though and you could hear the
cutting noise because of the aluminum. A very satisfying shave!
The "winning razor" was the clear winner in closeness between the two. As I said before, that one
gave me the closest shave I've ever had!
It is possible though that I was being conservative with the Lupo in terms of how much pressure I was applying.
Since I'm not used to the "lightweight", I was probably not pressing it very hard. I'll have get more practice
with it to see how it progresses. All in all though I really like the quality of the Razorock shavers.
This Lupo is my first Razorock but won't be the last!
I like to switch out the aluminum Lupo handle for something heavier and knurlier.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Curiosity over the Henson led me to buying the Winning razor. I've only been DE shaving for 3 months but have already acquired 5 razors and have tried pretty much every blade. I shave daily! Same basic design as the Henson but the winning razor is stainless steel and it's made by Yates in the USA. In terms of the head, it's supposed to be a little more aggressive than the Henson medium. If that's the case, I think I made the right choice (I've learned that I tend to favor some aggressiveness from the razors/blades). I used it tonight for the first time on a 2 day beard growth with a Bic blade, King of Shaves gel and finished off with my Aqua Velva shave balm. (For those that haven't tried it, the Aqua Velva shave balm is incredibly good, excellent for night shaves before bed).

So what I found with the Winning razor was something unexpected. The closeness that I got from a 2 pass shave was shockingly close. And this comes from a razor that I found to be incredibly mild. I don't believe I'd be able to nick myself with this thing even if I tried! I don't know how but it really mows down beard growth with the effectiveness of an aggressive shaver. I don't shave against the grain, I first shave with the grain and then across the grain on the second pass. The quality of the razor is A-1!
It's got some machine marks which is to be expected from a $50 stainless steel razor but I don't mind that. My priority is the quality of the shave and the alignment. It's pretty perfect in that respect!

Another thing is that it's a heavy razor which I like for this type of razor which has a medium length handle. The head takes some practice in terms of the angle (it's a bit different) but I figured it out on my first pass. Edging my goatee & sideburns with the squared off head will take some practice as well. The suction that some speak of while using it is evident but nothing that affects the shave. Overall this razor is a bargain for $50 and it gave me the closest shave I've ever had. I will always have it in rotation and it's primary use will be quick shaves when I have no time for a "long" shave. Since it's pretty much foolproof, It's perfect for that. Excellent novice shaver and for the shaving expert that wants a no-nonsense and safe fast shave. Highly recommended!
As for the Lupo, It's the aluminum DE and I'll be trying it out tomorrow night for the first time. It looks incredibly well built and it's very light. My shaving bowl arrives tomorrow so the Lupo will be part of my first ever "Proraso shave soap" shave. I'm finally moving up to shave soaps!
Here are some pictures of both the "Winning razor" and the Lupo:

View attachment 1433564View attachment 1433565View attachment 1433566View attachment 1433567View attachment 1433568

Dude, I am jealous, you already have your Bic blades, you lucky dude you! My new 100 pack of Bic blades don't come in till tomorrow, ohhhhh, the suspense is killing me, I hope it will last.

I am so happy that you love your new razor, I hope it will continue to serve you well, over the course of time. And I also notice that you have the same brush stand that I do, cool! Your razor is looking mighty fine on that counter in your shave den!

proxy.php

Dude, I am jealous, you already have your Bic blades, you lucky dude you! My new 100 pack of Bic blades don't come in till tomorrow, ohhhhh, the suspense is killing me, I hope it will last.

I am so happy that you love your new razor, I hope it will continue to serve you well, over the course of time. And I also notice that you have the same brush stand that I do, cool! Your razor is looking mighty fine on that counter in your shave den!

proxy.php
Jealous?
Look at the work of art razor that's sitting on your stand, LOL!!
Same stand but your razor looks like a million bucks, LOL!!
Thanks for the compliment!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Jealous?
Look at the work of art razor that's sitting on your stand, LOL!!
Same stand but your razor looks like a million bucks, LOL!!

Awww, thank you so much! Technically it was 250 dollars, but me being the smart cookie that I am, I swapped in a 37 dollar discount, and got that sucker with expedited shipping down to 222 dollars. And thats the way the cookie crumbles. 😋

PS: Your welcome :)

Terrific review! Thank you.

Our novice status and enamorment with TWR is almost identical. I'm at the stage where ATG is challenging me to avoid weepers and irritation whilst completing that pass efficiently. Also testing my way through a blade sample pack. Not sure if I should be blade testing and refining my ATG skills simultaneously. Challenging but fun.

Brotherhood of TWR!

Brotherhood of TWR!
The Winners™️ maybe?🤔

To be more helpful, I find I have a sharpness threshold with some razors for ATG. TWR shouldn't be one of those so it's all skill! However as your skill is developing, try something middle sharpness. Too tame and it will not glide well, just stop, don't continue. Too sharp and it glides so well you don't feel the cuts until afterwards! We call those silent slicers and your angle has to be spot on.

Terrific review! Thank you.

Our novice status and enamorment with TWR is almost identical. I'm at the stage where ATG is challenging me to avoid weepers and irritation whilst completing that pass efficiently. Also testing my way through a blade sample pack. Not sure if I should be blade testing and refining my ATG skills simultaneously. Challenging but fun.

Brotherhood of TWR!
Definitely a great razor!
I don't worry about ATG though because I don't do it ever. For me it's uncomfortable and I end up with ingrown hairs. For me a daily 2 pass with the grain and across the grain takes care of what i need and leaves me smooth enough till the next day.

Reactions: Kix

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Definitely a great razor!
I don't worry about ATG though because I don't do it ever. For me it's uncomfortable and I end up with ingrown hairs. For me a daily 2 pass with the grain and across the grain takes care of what i need and leaves me smooth enough till the next day.

Fascinating!

You see, this just goes to show that we are all different. I don't have problems with WTG or ATG. I do however, have issues with XTG. Everytime I do it, I either knick myself, or cause razor burn. I always blamed it on poor technique for the XTG passes, and while this may indeed still be true, I also just feel like my face and neck absolutely DO NOT appreciate XTG passes. So I simply do not do it.

Fascinating!

You see, this just goes to show that we are all different. I don't have problems with WTG or ATG. I do however, have issues with XTG. Everytime I do it, I either knick myself, or cause razor burn. I always blamed it on poor technique for the XTG passes, and while this may indeed still be true, I also just feel like my face and neck absolutely DO NOT appreciate XTG passes. So I simply do not do it.
Interesting!
I don't think it's poor technique. Your skin probably just doesn't like it!

Fascinating!

What usually causes this is thinking you are shaving on a flat surface, but in reality you end up on the apex of a curve. You might start your pass on a flat section and literally run into that unseen curve. It can take some contortions and stretching to shave XTG from your jaw down depending which way is XTG on your face.

Top Bottom