What's new

Small Pipe Recommendations (30 min smoke?)

I'm looking for some recommendations on smaller sized pipes that offer a quicker experience. I can't seem to get away with anything under 45 mins in any of my current pipes (smallest is my meerschaum at bowl depth 1.5", width 3/4"), with most of my smokes lasting an hour or more.

I know I can just load less into the bowl, but I don't enjoy the experience as much as I do when I can load to the brim and work my way to the end.

So far, I've found the Savinelli Minuto (6mm filter - not sure how I feel about that), Peterson Specialty Belgique, Ropp Etudiant J08, and Vauen Tiny Smooth (9mm filter - again, not super wild about). EDIT: I also stumbled onto Ewa pipes, which look interesting. Expanding the search to a bit larger size on SP offers quite a few more results, but I'm curious how that equates to smoke duration. Lots of pipes in the 1.25"x0.75" range. Maybe losing the extra 0.25" depth would help me cut down dramatically!.

Maybe a Falcon pipe should be in the mix? I think they offer smaller sized bowls.

Does anyone have any small pipes that are in their rotation that they love? I'm open to all suggestions! Thanks!

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Peterson 03 size. I smoke 1792 out of mine, because who really wants more than 30 minutes of 1792...
Animation1.gif

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Maybe something like this...

Parker_Rustic-Ebony-Boat-Pipe_TPS1903_201970-767x767.jpg

... sold in the UK as "boat pipes", "pocket pipes", or unimaginatively "oval pipes". This one has a chamber 20mm long, 11mm wide, and 30mm deep. They can be found periodically in the UK (they come and go throughout the year) for as low as £25.

Available via:
thepipeshop.co.uk (under Parker of London)
Smoke.co.uk (under Barber B-line pipes)
GQTobaccos.com (under GQ Tobaccos pipes)

Maybe something like this...

View attachment 1432378

... sold in the UK as "boat pipes", "pocket pipes", or unimaginatively "oval pipes". This one has a chamber 20mm long, 11mm wide, and 30mm deep. They can be found periodically in the UK (they come and go throughout the year) for as low as £25.

Available via:
thepipeshop.co.uk (under Parker of London)
Smoke.co.uk (under Barber B-line pipes)
GQTobaccos.com (under GQ Tobaccos pipes)
I heard of them referred as Opera pipes - streamlined to fit in your Tuxedo…

There are also those dinky vest pocket pipes but I never got a decent smoke from mine.

CD8FEB17-29B5-411C-810F-D6DFC1FBE240.jpeg

Yup. Good choice. Bantam bowls are what to look for.

The Pony Express, Hick Finn, and Mizzou cobs are small bowled.

Nording Compass is worth a look too

I keep looking at the Compass and I'm not sure if I love it or not. I think I need to let that one stew a bit. It is kind of like an industrial/art cob.

You prompted me to check out Nording's website, and they also have a Shorty, which is pretty funny. They definitely have their own style!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I keep looking at the Compass and I'm not sure if I love it or not. I think I need to let that one stew a bit. It is kind of like an industrial/art cob.

You prompted me to check out Nording's website, and they also have a Shorty, which is pretty funny. They definitely have their own style!

Yeah, they're quirky little pipes, and not necessarily to everyone's taste.

Other little pipes I own...

Parker of London sandblast pot

1120774-751ae20bbf3d717bd10b0807f31b9dc7.jpg

Mr Brog Alfa 1121719-32ca35ae1f2a938c2d8837372e8fd002.jpg

Here they both are in and amongst some "regular" sized pipes. Both were very affordable (budget) pipes.

IMG_20220104_153508.jpg

The front one of these four Ben Wades is one of their Lightweight Readers, and is almost identical is bowl size to a Peterson Barrel, which I also have. They're both great pipes for shorter smokes too.

IMG_20211217_120011.jpg

Top Bottom