What's new

Convex Hones Rethought

It is, in my opinion, extremely silly to get into arguments on this subject. Do what works for you. If that means you hone upside down in outer space on a pyramid shaped piece of sandpaper using butter for a lubricant - and you get a good shaving edge - then do that. To espouse one method as better than the rest for everyone else doesn't make any sense. It's sort of like trying to push your religion on someone. It might not fit.

Getting a good shaving edge is the important thing. Most of the rest is subjective. There is very little distinction between a really good edge between the better stones, regardless of the method used: flat stone, convex stone, etc. A really good pasted strop/balsa edge can "edge":) out a really good stone edge sometimes but they are not nearly as forgiving either. But a lot of that comes down to shave technique and experience.

In the end, what that means is: personal preference is a factor for every one of us.
"Do what works for you. If that means you hone upside down in outer space on a pyramid shaped piece of sandpaper using butter for a lubricant - and you get a good shaving edge - then do that"

If someone finds a way, even if it looks strange that works for them i like to hear about it. Someone else might also learn something from it. Arguing about why it is not working, when it clearly is working for that individual is pointless.
We are all at different stages in the learning process.

Honing a razor is in principle not that complicated. To be able to have something to discuss we are basically left with discussing details that may not be all that interesting to everyone.

I do not care about reading long threads about shaving soaps or creams, but allot of people find this interesting. To me there is really not a night and day difference in performance.

I agree that a process/method comes down to the individual using it. For me my methods and tools have not changed much, but the result sure have.

"Do what works for you. If that means you hone upside down in outer space on a pyramid shaped piece of sandpaper using butter for a lubricant - and you get a good shaving edge - then do that"

If someone finds a way, even if it looks strange that works for them i like to hear about it. Someone else might also learn something from it. Arguing about why it is not working, when it clearly is working for that individual is pointless.
We are all at different stages in the learning process.

Honing a razor is in principle not that complicated. To be able to have something to discuss we are basically left with discussing details that may not be all that interesting to everyone.

I do not care about reading long threads about shaving soaps or creams, but allot of people find this interesting. To me there is really not a night and day difference in performance.

I agree that a process/method comes down to the individual using it. For me my methods and tools have not changed much, but the result sure have.

I'm not sure if you are attempting to make an argument against my statement or just making one of your own. At any rate, I mostly agree with your statement, if that is what it was. I certainly don't mind seeing threads where someone describes how something worked for them either. I like them even better if they have some idea of why. There is almost always something to learn if one looks hard enough.

I generally find threads that say things like "this way is better because so-and-so said so" pretty funny. But anyway....

I got a razor from Jarrod he honed on convex stones. I liked it enough to purchase a Black Convex Ark Stone from him and saw an improvement in the shaving. I then bought a plate and started experimenting convexing 8x and up stones. The progression took the shave up. I then made a convex strop from balsa wood and leather I posted here. That really brought up the edge. I am a firm believer that honing on a flat service will improve any edge. All I can say is keep an open mind and try a razor honed on a convex stone. If you like it, great. If you don't, you now have the experience to voice an educated experience. By the way, convex stones go back hundreds of years so it isn't a new idea.

I made a convex balsa wood and sent it to Jarrod to try. He really liked it and you can see him using it in his videos and I see he is selling it now. You can really feel the difference when stropping. The blade sticks to the leather with no play. I find it produces a much better edge. I've used it on razors that are not convex and it works great.

I'm not sure if you are attempting to make an argument against my statement or just making one of your own. At any rate, I mostly agree with your statement, if that is what it was. I certainly don't mind seeing threads where someone describes how something worked for them either. I like them even better if they have some idea of why. There is almost always something to learn if one looks hard enough.

I generally find threads that say things like "this way is better because so-and-so said so" pretty funny. But anyway....
Maybe it was more a statement on my part.
As you say, there is always something to learn if you look hard enough, even if the why is not that clear, it might give someone inspiration to experiment a little.

As a former engineer I am constantly looking for improvement. The journey never seems to be complete.
So the block, some leather and some TI paste. Sounds like I'm set for stage 1, thanks.
I haven't tried it with paste. The edges seems to give me a better shave just using leather.

Maybe it was more a statement on my part.
As you say, there is always something to learn if you look hard enough, even if the why is not that clear, it might give someone inspiration to experiment a little.
My comment was directed to all of us looking for the perfect shave and how to get it. I tried convex more from curiosity just like I am constantly trying different stones. There must be a holy grail of stones out there.

I think any method is worth considering. Until the mad scientist came out with fake accounts and fake accents etc. So those types of antics turned the whole thing into a circus. And if you have something to discuss please be prepared to accept some debate. And saying " you have to try it" in the place of discussion isn't my cup of tea. Anyway I hope everyone who uses one finds their truth. Whatever that is.

Intrigued by this thread I watched his YouTube videos and store front

He indeed has this balsa convex wooden block for stroping as well as some unique water stones for a progression. The theory looks good, however I think someone who has mastery over flat hones can indeed decipher how well convex hones work by compare.

Anyone have any experience using his water stones? (Convex or flat)

They seem pretty interesting for budget stones and I think he uses the same one convexed for his initial bevel work.

I can see convex stones being useful when attempting to hone warped razors. The concave side of the warp is always a challenge. A convex stone used with the razor at an angle would get in there nicely.

This.

I am so pleasantly surprised as if you read my thoughts. I have exactly this in mind. Thank you

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I can see convex stones being useful when attempting to hone warped razors. The concave side of the warp is always a challenge. A convex stone used with the razor at an angle would get in there nicely.

B6EBF938-CB9B-46FF-AB4C-412A1F739292.jpeg

A update on my use of convex stones and strops. I am finding that after using the convex process, I finish on a flat finishing stone somewhere around 30k. I saw another person in Germany doing it with exceptional results. The key is not to do to many laps on the flat stone. I do 10 to 15 and that really brings up the results. It's like taking chromium oxide to help make the edge shave more comfortably. I am sure there are people who will say why not stay with flat stones. Good point, but the razor is ground using wheels and rounded sanding belts to get the initial angle. I agree that once the razor is ground, the edge and spine will determine the bevel and edge. What the convex honing does is refine or change the edge over the flat honing.

Top Bottom