What's new

Did I just Buy The Feather AS-D2 Razor? Ooooo, I Think I Did! :D

I wish other Feather owners would show up and add more comments. I have no personal experience with one. If you put the blade in.. with the slots lined up... in other words, do things properly... the blade exposure should be the same, side to side.
The Feather As-D2 safety bar has two elevated keyways that keep the blade locked in place with the top cap. I just loaded my razor with a fresh blade and will shave with it on Friday. The Blade is perfectly aligned as shown in the attached photos.
IMG_9311.jpgIMG_9307.jpgIMG_9308.jpgIMG_9305.jpg

Lol its funny to read your experience after only 3 shaves with AS-D2. I own one and its my daily shavers since more than 2 years, but it takes a few months to master it and have nice shaves. You will have same issues with another razor cause you have a learning curve and each razors are differents. With AS-D2 a one pass shave is equal for me like if i was using an electric razor and 2 pass shave give me BBS. Also one essential thing is to map how your stubbles are growing to maximise the efficiancy of your razor. Have fun

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Lol its funny to read your experience after only 3 shaves with AS-D2. I own one and its my daily shavers since more than 2 years, but it takes a few months to master it and have nice shaves. You will have same issues with another razor cause you have a learning curve and each razors are differents. With AS-D2 a one pass shave is equal for me like if i was using an electric razor and 2 pass shave give me BBS. Also one essential thing is to map how your stubbles are growing to maximise the efficiancy of your razor. Have fun

Yes, if I use a fresh blade, I can get a pretty amazing BBS shave in places, and I can get a DFS everywhere else. The AS-D2 is most certainly capable of doing it with a fresh blade, no doubt there. But it does take some times getting through my course hair, on 2-day stubble of course. But the blade is dull on the 3rd shave though for me.

I actually have a total of 8-shaves on the razor by now, and I have only gone through two blades with it. In the beginning I used to do a 3-pass shave as I was taught. But I quickly discovered that I am not good at doing XTG, especially on my neck, XTG is where perhaps my technique isn't that good.

However, WTG, and ATG, my technique is pretty good, I've learned not to screw up my angle as I move the razor, and like I said, I learned a lot from watching GeoFatBoy, even using this very razor infact! I know I'm not the only one on this site who thinks the AS-D2 is too mild.

But don't get me wrong, its not a bad razor, never said it was. I still love my Feather AS-D2 razor, but, I just want more you know? So, I am going to put it aside for now, and the Rex Ambassador is supposed to come tomorrow, and I will be starting off April with my very first April 1rst shave of the year, with the Rex Ambassador. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes, if I use a fresh blade, I can get a pretty amazing BBS shave in places, and I can get a DFS everywhere else. The AS-D2 is most certainly capable of doing it with a fresh blade, no doubt there. But it does take some times getting through my course hair, on 2-day stubble of course. But the blade is dull on the 3rd shave though for me.

I actually have a total of 8-shaves on the razor by now, and I have only gone through two blades with it. In the beginning I used to do a 3-pass shave as I was taught. But I quickly discovered that I am not good at doing XTG, especially on my neck, XTG is where perhaps my technique isn't that good.

However, WTG, and ATG, my technique is pretty good, I've learned not to screw up my angle as I move the razor, and like I said, I learned a lot from watching GeoFatBoy, even using this very razor infact! I know I'm not the only one on this site who thinks the AS-D2 is too mild.

But don't get me wrong, its not a bad razor, never said it was. I still love my Feather AS-D2 razor, but, I just want more you know? So, I am going to put it aside for now, and the Rex Ambassador is supposed to come tomorrow, and I will be starting off April with my very first April 1rst shave of the year, with the Rex Ambassador. :)

Maybe sign up for the April of adjustables thing?

Admit it, you just wanted another razor whether the Feather shaved good or not, LOL!
Your first post on the thread says that you ordered the Feather because it would last you for the rest of your life, LOL!!!
(And that was 2 weeks ago!)
I see a future of many many more razors coming your way..
Listen, I've been at it for only 3 months and I'm up to 5 razors already and look at other possible ones every day.
Welcome to the rabbit hole my friend!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Admit it, you just wanted another razor whether the Feather shaved good or not, LOL!
Your first post on the thread says that you ordered the Feather because it would last you for the rest of your life, LOL!!!
(And that was 2 weeks ago!)
I see a future of many many more razors coming your way..
Listen, I've been at it for only 3 months and I'm up to 5 razors already and look at other possible ones every day.
Welcome to the rabbit hole my friend!

When I was speaking on a razor that would last my life, I was of course speaking of durability. As I was comparing it to the cheaper razors, who use chrome platings, and chip off, or the threaded screw heads corrode out. Thats the whole reason why I didn't buy into the cheap razors in the first place, I saw the reviews, I saw the pictures, I was like, NOPE! lol - But make no mistake, I do still love my Feather razor, its a darn good razor, but its a bit too mild for my tastes.

My new Rex Ambassador is so cool, because its the same quality construction, but it allows me to adjust the aggression on the fly, very useful feature in an adjustable razor. I also appreciate that its made in America, who's supporting local jobs. And unlike the Feather which you can't replace parts for, the Rex Supply CO actually sells parts kits for the Ambassador, should it ever fail on me, that is what I call stellar.

And thank you for welcoming me to the rabbit hole. You know, we should have a secondary title for B&B, it will go like this. Welcome to Badger & Blade, the best rootin tootin rabbit hole on the net! :lol:

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

How do you compare the Feather AS-D2 vs. your Rex Ambassador razor ? I plan to try my Rex on the next shave which will probably be Tuesday evening.

The Feather is a beautiful mild-performing razor, but not sure if it is worthy of spending $200 for a non-adjustable, which is why I sold it. If it were in the $75-125 range, I would probably consider it, but I did not like it more than my Merkur Futur. I like a bit more aggressiveness in razors myself. But I am with you - no way will I pay the additional $100 for a stand.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

How do you compare the Feather AS-D2 vs. your Rex Ambassador razor ? I plan to try my Rex on the next shave which will probably be Tuesday evening.

The Feather is a beautiful mild-performing razor, but not sure if it is worthy of spending $200 for a non-adjustable, which is why I sold it. If it were in the $75-125 range, I would probably consider it, but I did not like it more than my Merkur Futur. I like a bit more aggressiveness in razors myself. But I am with you - no way will I pay the additional $100 for a stand.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Well, I bought the Feather AS-D2 for 175 dollars from Mens Room Barbershop, other places are asking more, but thats scalping prices. I found the Rex Ambassador for 250 dollars at New England Shaving, but got a 37 dollar discount on it, brought my total down to 222 dollars. Other sites were selling it for 300 dollars, scalpers prices.

After experiencing my Rex Ambassador, I have the thought in my mind, that I should have just bought that instead. With my Feather not in use now, kind of a waste of money. But I may use my Feather again in the future, so it might be worth keeping in that regard.

The Feather is a super mild razor, and as such, I think its really best for those who daily shave, or those who have fine soft hair. The Rex Ambassador can act like the Feather razor, if you only use it on setting level 1. But the Ambassador can allow you to adjust for a higher level of aggression.

Because I have tough course whiskers, the Feather begins to start becoming an issue once I have 2-day stubble. It will still do the job, but it will take forever to do it, it struggles, clogs more easily. Once the blade starts getting dull, then it just leaves hairs behind.

The Feather AS-D2 really relies on a sharp blade, it really does, cause once it starts getting the slight bit dull, the performance just goes on it. Where as the Rex Ambassador, set the aggression for setting level 3, and it goes through the same 2-day stubble like butter. On my next shave, I am planning to try level 4 for the WTG passes.

The Rex Ambassador weighs a bit more, and it just provides for a more smoother shave. Please keep in mind, I have a whole thread on the Rex Ambassador, where I discuss much of this. But ya, my final vote is for the Rex Ambassador, I wouldn't buy the Feather again.

Knowing what I know now, I should have just bought the Ambassador from the start.

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker Thanks for the writeup.

Sounds like I have to try my Rex Ambassador for next weeks shave !!! That will be a showdown with my Merkur Futur !!!
How do you like the Futur? I want what would be my first adjustable and I'm on the fence. I want it and have found a really good deal on a new one but I'm scared from everything I've read: Blade changes are difficult and can cut you, difficult to adjust since the adjustment is close to the head, leading to a cut as well, some call it the potato peeler etc.., LOL!
Plus I hear that #1 setting alone is super aggressive (I like some aggressiveness though) and it's really big!
I'd like to hear your opinion please!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

How do you like the Futur? I want what would be my first adjustable and I'm on the fence. I want it and have found a really good deal on a new one but I'm scared from everything I've read: Blade changes are difficult and can cut you, difficult to adjust since the adjustment is close to the head, leading to a cut as well, some call it the potato peeler etc.., LOL!
Plus I hear that #1 setting alone is super aggressive (I like some aggressiveness though) and it's really big!

I don't own a Futur. I only own a Feather AS-D2, and a Rex Ambassador. And the negatives you just mentioned, do not apply to the Rex Ambassador. Very easy to adjust the knob! And I sure don't cut myself turning the knob. And its easy to change blades. And the #1 settings is as mild as the Feather AS-D2 razor.

If you haven't already, go check out my thread on the Rex Ambassador to learn more.
My Experience & Review of Rex Ambassador Razor

Kind of offtopic (sorry) as I have no experience with the Futur, but I had a Ming Shi 2000s for a while, which is a Futur clone. I've heard that it's less aggressive than the Futur, on the highest setting it's still aggressive though. If you are scared about the Futur, maybe the clone would be a decent alternative for 10-15 bucks or whatever it costs these days.

That said, if you get the Merkur and don't like it, I'm sure you could sell it to someone and get some of your money back.

I don't own a Futur. I only own a Feather AS-D2, and a Rex Ambassador. And the negatives you just mentioned, do not apply to the Rex Ambassador. Very easy to adjust the knob! And I sure don't cut myself turning the knob. And its easy to change blades. And the #1 settings is as mild as the Feather AS-D2 razor.

If you haven't already, go check out my thread on the Rex Ambassador to learn more.
My Experience & Review of Rex Ambassador Razor
I've read about the Rex's characterístics but not looking into that one. My quote was directed at DiscoMike which owns a Futur. I should have been clearer on my post and probably asked him outside of your thread since your thread isn't about the Futur. Sorry!
Anyways, although I love what the Rex looks to be, it's not within my budget right now. I'm sure later on I'll get one but I'm too new at DE shaving to take that plunge. The razors I've bought so far don't exceed $60 and that's the price range I'm focusing on right now. I figure, for the price of the Rex, I can try out 2-3 other mid range razors. That process gives me a broad look for experimentation that will eventually settle me on a razor that completely agrees with me.

Kind of offtopic (sorry) as I have no experience with the Futur, but I had a Ming Shi 2000s for a while, which is a Futur clone. I've heard that it's less aggressive than the Futur, on the highest setting it's still aggressive though. If you are scared about the Futur, maybe the clone would be a decent alternative for 10-15 bucks or whatever it costs these days.

That said, if you get the Merkur and don't like it, I'm sure you could sell it to someone and get some of your money back.
If I get it, I wouldn't sell it anyways. I tend to collect so it would just go into storage. The problem is that I'm afraid of it, Lol!
That's what's keeping me away from it until convinced otherwise. I saw and read about the clone and haven't bought it because it supposedly doesn't perform like the original. But maybe I'll try it anyways!

If I get it, I wouldn't sell it anyways. I tend to collect so it would just go into storage. The problem is that I'm afraid of it, Lol!
That's what's keeping me away from it until convinced otherwise. I saw and read about the clone and haven't bought it because it supposedly doesn't perform like the original. But maybe I'll try it anyways!
Understandable!
With the clone, I put the top cap on the table, then a blade on it followed up with the razor. Less chances of injuring yourself that way. You can use a towel to take the top cap off.

For the aggressiveness, I usually shave with a somewhat aggressive razor and it certainly requires some concentration, but the weight helps at least for me. With a lighter razor it's easier to apply pressure unconciously I think.
Just go slow and maybe with a lower setting until you get a bit more comfortable with it!

I can't really say anything about the performance of the original, but for me, the clone was perfectly capable of delivering a good shave. I gave mine to a friend who had a Feather Popular and he wanted to try an adjustable, he has been very happy with it.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I've read about the Rex's characterístics but not looking into that one. My quote was directed at DiscoMike which owns a Futur. I should have been clearer on my post and probably asked him outside of your thread since your thread isn't about the Futur. Sorry!
Anyways, although I love what the Rex looks to be, it's not within my budget right now. I'm sure later on I'll get one but I'm too new at DE shaving to take that plunge. The razors I've bought so far don't exceed $60 and that's the price range I'm focusing on right now. I figure, for the price of the Rex, I can try out 2-3 other mid range razors. That process gives me a broad look for experimentation that will eventually settle me on a razor that completely agrees with me.

Thank you for clarifying! One of the main deciding factors for buying anything, is what your budget is. You usually start there, and work your way up. I began my journey with a 50 dollars budget, I provided the forum the budget, then was recommended the proper razor for the budget, and you guessed it, the classic super well known, Merker 34C. They also recommended the Edwin Jagger E89, and something else I forget now.

Anyways, I looked all of them over, I looked at 4 razors actually. And after careful consideration, I chose to raze my budget, even if that meant using credit. Still glad I did, I have no regrets. OK ok, I'll be honest, I should have bought the Rex Ambassador from the very start. But I still don't regret owning quality, the Feather AS-D2 is a quality razor, I always appreciate quality. If there is any regret, I just mean that I regret buying a mild razor.

But, we all have to start somewhere, test the waters, and find out what our limits are. We don't know what we know, until we know it. Some folks can live with a mild razor the rest of their life, some, like me, start out mild and are like, NOPE, need more! So Unomos it was, just one more, and shamma lamma ding dong, Bobs your uncle, Rex Ambassador was in the house. Ya buddy!

I wish you good luck on your journey!

Thank you for clarifying! One of the main deciding factors for buying anything, is what your budget is. You usually start there, and work your way up. I began my journey with a 50 dollars budget, I provided the forum the budget, then was recommended the proper razor for the budget, and you guessed it, the classic super well known, Merker 34C. They also recommended the Edwin Jagger E89, and something else I forget now.

Anyways, I looked all of them over, I looked at 4 razors actually. And after careful consideration, I chose to raze my budget, even if that meant using credit. Still glad I did, I have no regrets. OK ok, I'll be honest, I should have bought the Rex Ambassador from the very start. But I still don't regret owning quality, the Feather AS-D2 is a quality razor, I always appreciate quality. If there is any regret, I just mean that I regret buying a mild razor.

But, we all have to start somewhere, test the waters, and find out what our limits are. We don't know what we know, until we know it. Some folks can live with a mild razor the rest of their life, some, like me, start out mild and are like, NOPE, need more! So Unomos it was, just one more, and shamma lamma ding dong, Bobs your uncle, Rex Ambassador was in the house. Ya buddy!

I wish you good luck on your journey!
Totally correct!
Another issue with me is that I've got other interests that require a lot of money, Lol!
So I have to balance the cash out between interests.

@LRod

I've had my Futur for 10 years now. Its been my first DE Razor which I love. It is the chrome finish. I believe I paid around $70 for it back in 2012. It was probably the only razor that was adjustable at the time - or at least one that I could find which was at reasonable cost. So here has been my experience with the Futur over 10 years.

First of all... whoever reviewed that blade changes are difficult and that you can cut yourself when grabbing the Futur does not know how to handle the Futur. The Futur has been solid for me. I've never cut myself when changing blades. This razor is SOLID and it is REALLY great. I love it and highly recommend it if you want an adjustable razor that is solid !!!

There is one thing I can see in one review that COULD happen - but this has never happened to me.... because it has a solid handle without indentations I could see it slip in your hands should it get wet. Thats never happened to me, nor have I ever felt it would slip from my hands while shaving.

I guess I do a good job not getting my hands wet when shaving. :) One thing I would NOT recommend this razor for - but please read through for FULL context to qualify this statement. Because the head is bulky, I would not recommend it for moustache shaving. If you dont want to invest in another razor... who are we kidding here ? OF COURSE YOU are going to purchase another... for moustache shaving - invest in a moustache shaver. OR... if you dont want to make that investment - you will need to find your own technique on moustache shaving with this razor.

As I state this... I dont use this razor for moustache shaving since I do not shave my moustache.

The way I shave with this razor is I go with the grain, then against the grain. I always get a BBS shave with this razor. The razor glides across the cheeks and neck. I shave with a setting of 3. There are settings from 1 to 6. No clicks - it is a smooth, yet firm dial setting which will not change while shaving. I do not change the setting while shaving, although I think I should shave with a lesser setting when shaving my neck when going ATG. My favorite blades are using the Feathers and the Astras with this razor. Merkur has their own blades too which will give you a mild shave. Bic and Wilkinson Sword Black are also good blades as well. I have yet to try other blades with this razor, but that will change.

This razor is on the heavy side at 128 grams. I like my razors being weighty. One thing that I damaged with this razor from time to time is my face. Because it is weighty, I've smashed it on my face from time to time leaving a razor mark. Maybe less than 5 times I did this, but I clearly remember doing it.

Changing blades is easy. Just pop off the top by its sides and swap the blade. Placing back the top onto the razor feels very solid. That is about all I can say about the Futur. If you have any questions about the Futur, let me know.

I highly recommend this adjustable razor. This is the only adjustable razor - along with the Progress that I know of (or recall) under $100.

This is Merkur's statement razor. They also made a higher-end razor which was the butterfly version of the Futur - called the Vision. However, it was riddled with problems, so Merkur discontinued the product, making the Futur their best razor they make, which I highly recommend.

Two additional items to mention about the Merkur Futur...

I've always handled the Futur by grabbing it by the top sides or by the handle. I've never cut myself while handing the Merkur Futur, so don't be afraid or swayed by one of those reviews on the possibility of cutting yourself while handling the razor.

I also shave once every 3 to 4 days. My face wont allow me to be used as a daily driver for shaving.

@LRod

I've had my Futur for 10 years now. Its been my first DE Razor which I love. It is the chrome finish. I believe I paid around $70 for it back in 2012. It was probably the only razor that was adjustable at the time - or at least one that I could find which was at reasonable cost. So here has been my experience with the Futur over 10 years.

First of all... whoever reviewed that blade changes are difficult and that you can cut yourself when grabbing the Futur does not know how to handle the Futur. The Futur has been solid for me. I've never cut myself when changing blades. This razor is SOLID and it is REALLY great. I love it and highly recommend it if you want an adjustable razor that is solid !!!

There is one thing I can see in one review that COULD happen - but this has never happened to me.... because it has a solid handle without indentations I could see it slip in your hands should it get wet. Thats never happened to me, nor have I ever felt it would slip from my hands while shaving.

I guess I do a good job not getting my hands wet when shaving. :) One thing I would NOT recommend this razor for - but please read through for FULL context to qualify this statement. Because the head is bulky, I would not recommend it for moustache shaving. If you dont want to invest in another razor... who are we kidding here ? OF COURSE YOU are going to purchase another... for moustache shaving - invest in a moustache shaver. OR... if you dont want to make that investment - you will need to find your own technique on moustache shaving with this razor.

As I state this... I dont use this razor for moustache shaving since I do not shave my moustache.

The way I shave with this razor is I go with the grain, then against the grain. I always get a BBS shave with this razor. The razor glides across the cheeks and neck. I shave with a setting of 3. There are settings from 1 to 6. No clicks - it is a smooth, yet firm dial setting which will not change while shaving. I do not change the setting while shaving, although I think I should shave with a lesser setting when shaving my neck when going ATG. My favorite blades are using the Feathers and the Astras with this razor. Merkur has their own blades too which will give you a mild shave. Bic and Wilkinson Sword Black are also good blades as well. I have yet to try other blades with this razor, but that will change.

This razor is on the heavy side at 128 grams. I like my razors being weighty. One thing that I damaged with this razor from time to time is my face. Because it is weighty, I've smashed it on my face from time to time leaving a razor mark. Maybe less than 5 times I did this, but I clearly remember doing it.

Changing blades is easy. Just pop off the top by its sides and swap the blade. Placing back the top onto the razor feels very solid. That is about all I can say about the Futur. If you have any questions about the Futur, let me know.

I highly recommend this adjustable razor. This is the only adjustable razor - along with the Progress that I know of (or recall) under $100.

This is Merkur's statement razor. They also made a higher-end razor which was the butterfly version of the Futur - called the Vision. However, it was riddled with problems, so Merkur discontinued the product, making the Futur their best razor they make, which I highly recommend.
Great to read your insight!
This gives me more confidence in buying a Futur. At least I can now ignore the Amazon review that shows a picture of the reviewer at the ER with a sliced finger, Lol!! (true story, look it up!)
For your reference, a couple more adjustable's exist under $100. I've been looking at all of them!
Besides the ones you mentioned:
Parker Variant & Pearl Flexi.
I've been between the Futur & Variant. I like the Merkur because it's interesting and I like the Parker because of the current quality. Parkers current razors have amazing QC. I have a current Merkur 23C and a Parker 97R and the Parker is nearly perfect in build quality (durability is to be determined!).
Maybe I'll just get both, Lol!!
I'll make a decision tonight and order but I'm now leaning more towards the Futur.

Top Bottom