What's new

How Does One Shave With A GEM/Ever Ready 1912 SE Razor? Tips On Technique From Colleagues Needed.

Hello to all!

Recently purchased a 1912 Ever Ready English made razor, for a good price. The Popular in the UK or Junior I believe it was marketed as in the States.

Thing is, It is very intimidating from the the Bay pics of it. The head looks rather strange.

I am guessing that you place the flat head to the face and then use as a DE but keeping the head to the users face as much as possible, using no pressure with short strokes.

I have watched some YT vids, but I would much prefer B&B colleague advice from actual experience, which is the richest source anywhere.

I have bought a 10 pack of the GEM/Personna blades from Connault which should arrive soon. I should be getting both in around 3-4 days.

It kind of reminds me of the BIC Orange which I used for 3 decades, in that it has an angled head.

Does anyone have any advice on how to actually shave with it? How many passes, and in what direction? How do you do XTG, and is NS advisable? Any insights would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have used the 1912 and it is an excellent razor, I used it exactly as any DE in terms of number and direction of passes. Hold the handle well away from the face so as to obtain the correct cutting angle, it feels a bit unnatural at first but you soon get used to it. Good luck.

E-R1924Instructions and Case (4).JPG

Do what is shown in picture number two of the shovelhead instructions and everything will be fine.
The shovelhead is really the only gem razor that shaves best at an angle very similar to what is used with a DE. For other Gems, hold the razor head almost flat against the face and use a light touch.

I’m friendly because we’re all able to share bon vivant experiences with each other and ways to make them even more luxurious without it necessarily costing extra money. Any involved sadism is diverted to shaking the brush clean after washing out the soap.
Please just cut my throat first before you peel me like a carrot! I suggest a CA Zinfandel, I may be a little gamey. :blink:

OK, clowning around is over. Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled clowning around discussion!:cuppa:

Last edited:
The 1912!
I love it. Quite steampunk in its appearance but a beautiful shaver it is.

I have a couple of GEMs and Ever Ready razors, and put them on a Rod George handle when in use as the original handle is really small.

IMG_2677.JPG

I actually shave with it in the same routine as I use with other razors.
These SE are pretty forgiving.

Top Bottom