What's new

Too Fast

Is this basically the same affect of putting a micro bevel on my axes? Namely that it is only affecting the very end providing some strength/resistance to dulling. You still have a convex, but it is less convex in other words?
Yes, that is what you are doing. If the bevel I a little concave this effect is even more noticable, because you are working on a much smaller surface area at the end of the bevel. If balsa is used you need to use light pressure.

Yes, that is what you are doing. If the bevel I a little concave this effect is even more noticable, because you are working on a much smaller surface area at the end of the bevel. If balsa is used you need to use light pressure.
Thank you. So maybe pasted fabric or two with different compound might be a viable alternative to balsa with a concave bevel grind? Sorry for newbie questions, lights slowly coming on.

Thank you. So maybe pasted fabric or two with different compound might be a viable alternative to balsa with a concave bevel grind? Sorry for newbie questions, lights slowly coming on.
Yes. The fabric will in most cases do the same ting if it is backed on a flat surface. When you go to a compound (at least if i use one) the edge is more or less shave ready. You are at this stage working on a really thin edge. You should not need many passes on each paste/spray/compound. A little goes a long way too. You do not need allot of product on your substrate.
I usually use (used to use) only 0.125 micron CBN to add something extra to the edge. 5-10 light strokes was all i needed. If you need much more then that you may need to go back to your stones.

Yes. The fabric will in most cases do the same ting if it is backed on a flat surface. When you go to a compound (at least if i use one) the edge is more or less shave ready. You are at this stage working on a really thin edge. You should not need many passes on each paste/spray/compound. A little goes a long way too. You do not need allot of product on your substrate.
I usually use (used to use) only 0.125 micron CBN to add something extra to the edge. 5-10 light strokes was all i needed. If you need much more then that you may need to go back to your stones.

Wholeheartedly agree, especially on the number of laps needed for touch ups. There is no need to perform more than that, it's overkill. Diamond pastes are aggressive cutters/polishers even at that level.

Thanks, I was planning to start out with CrOx and TI paste. Are you saying the CrOx might not be a good idea, I should go back to the slate then try the TI paste and HHT it?

Thanks, I was planning to start out with CrOx and TI paste. Are you saying the CrOx might not be a good idea, I should go back to the slate then try the TI paste and HHT it?
That is difficult to answer based on the info you have shared in this thread.
With regards to CrOx vs TI paste, i got better results with the TI white paste.
What is your starting point when you move to paste?

That is difficult to answer based on the info you have shared in this thread.
With regards to CrOx vs TI paste, i got better results with the TI white paste.
What is your starting point when you move to paste?
I wanted to use the paste to maintain the edge as long as possible without having to hone. I don't have a rock yet, but plan to start with a slate for finishing without doing much to bevel. I suppose just 5 laps of the TI paste periodically until I have my rock? Then maybe try the slate once a month or two and if that isn't working send it off to be honed. I thought I needed CrOx between the slate and TI paste? If not, great!

I wanted to use the paste to maintain the edge as long as possible without having to hone. I don't have a rock yet, but plan to start with a slate for finishing without doing much to bevel. I suppose just 5 laps of the TI paste periodically until I have my rock? Then maybe try the slate once a month or two and if that isn't working send it off to be honed. I thought I needed CrOx between the slate and TI paste? If not, great!
I think you need to just see what works for you, starting with the least aggressive approach. Try to minimise the variables. If TI paste does not do it for you in 5-10 passes, just do some more, or go to CrOx.

I think you need to just see what works for you, starting with the least aggressive approach. Try to minimise the variables. If TI paste does not do it for you in 5-10 passes, just do some more, or go to CrOx.
Perfect, that was the plan. Thanks again. Now I just need to find/make something to put the TI paste on...

Top Bottom