What's new

It is happening, first real straight!

That's a good razor. I was actually waiting for the drop today to see how much it goes for and maybe buy it.
Here is the paperwork from Ribbon. Double concave razor.
Thank you so much for the documentation! I am both sorry to jump you on it and also confirm why I didn't want to give details on what I was looking at. Not saying you would, but I have seen people just go grab something that somebody else found. You were clearly looking so no foul.
Yes, the heel is unsharpened, and as you can see it's a long curve which is what gives you the shorter cutting edge I have a Japanese razor with a similar blade profile, and it's very nimble in spite of being a hair under 7/8. Also that point is kind of the best of both worlds in my opinion. You can't stab your ear with it but the actual point right at the edge is square and allows for a lot of precision if you have a mustache or goatee to shave around. Mine is much the same and I like it a lot more than a standard German style round point.
Thank you. When I saw the blade shape, I knew it was perfect for me. And my moustache! :euro:

Wow, I just looked at the images. No wonder it was so expensive! I won't be doing any honing or balsa on this one, it will go back to Matt when it needs work. I am already eyeballing a stock Gold Dollar for practice...

Now that I think about, I feel like I am the jerk who stole it. :frown:

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the documentation! I am both sorry to jump you on it and also confirm why I didn't want to give details on what I was looking at. Not saying you would, but I have seen people just go grab something that somebody else found. You were clearly looking so no foul.
Yeah, I am on his mailing list and yesterday he sent a heads up of what's coming. The Rosette 80 was there.
No worries man. I already have a couple of 80's so I am good.

Your question regarding the heel. I am including 2 pics with a #30, one is marked to show where the bevel starts and ends and the second is a visual how the razor starts to lose contact with the stone so unless somebody is doing something crazy there shouldn't be a bevel at that part.

6E79DC1E-F044-4294-9A74-9F80AE81CF16_1_201_a Large.jpeg

70A451D2-7778-4478-8F58-C3C3869406A4_1_201_a Large.jpeg

Yeah, I am on his mailing list and yesterday he sent a heads up of what's coming. The Rosette 80 was there.
No worries man. I already have a couple of 80's so I am good.

Your question regarding the heel. I am including 2 pics with a #30, one is marked to show where the bevel starts and ends and the second is a visual how the razor starts to lose contact with the stone so unless somebody is doing something crazy there shouldn't be a bevel at that part.
Wow, thank you for the explanation! More important, thank you for not hating me. I don't want to get a bad reputation around here. The double concave bit still sounds like something that could be screwed up by somebody inexperienced.

Totally jealous. I'll be there some day. I've given up before I get started so many times! This week I looked into building a balsa wood strop on an acrylic base. Gave up again. Look forward to following your thoughts on SR shaving.

Totally jealous. I'll be there some day. I've given up before I get started so many times! This week I looked into building a balsa wood strop on an acrylic base. Gave up again. Look forward to following your thoughts on SR shaving.
That sounds like something I could relate to. With all these people jumping in this month, I realised that I don't have to have everything in order. I just need to get a razor and a strop and shave. :)

That sounds like something I could relate to. With all these people jumping in this month, I realised that I don't have to have everything in order. I just need to get a razor and a strop and shave. :)
So, to be clear, you plan to do no maintenance yourself except the leather strop and send it off to a pro whenever it needs more?

So, to be clear, you plan to do no maintenance yourself except the leather strop and send it off to a pro whenever it needs more?
That's the plan! It's not a good one, but at least I won't ruin an expensive razor. I am supposed to get at least 100 shaves on an edge, by then I will have a second cheap razor and be working on honing it. 😬

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
That 100 shaves number may drop dramatically if you don't have your stropping, shave angle and shave pressure first sorted.

I'm surprised you didn't include an admonition against shaving naked.
They are called cut-throats, but throats aren't the only thing they'll cut...especially if dropped!

Last edited:
@rbscebu
Appreciate that. I heard it was more like 180 so I divided in half for accuracy. I have read all drafts of your PDF including the one you just posted. I am the one who has been using a shavette then an Artist Club razor for a while, I have more trouble convincing myself to increase the angle a little then the opposite! I have heard these real straights are more forgiving than my Feather DX, that is what I am looking forward to. Stropping, we will see how that goes...

@rbscebu
Appreciate that. I heard it was more like 180 so I divided in half for accuracy. I have read all drafts of your PDF including the one you just posted. I am the one who has been using a shavette then an Artist Club razor for a while, I have more trouble convincing myself to increase the angle a little then the opposite! I have heard these real straights are more forgiving than my Feather DX, that is what I am looking forward to. Stropping, we will see how that goes...
Keep your shave angle good and low and it will last longer. Edge longevity depends on a whole bunch of factors. The steel, your whiskers, how well you strop, shave angle, how many passes you do, etc. It helps that you've been shaving with a DX for a while. You won't real know how long it will last until it starts to tug. Nothing wrong with sending it to a pro when needed, whether thats 40 shaves or 140.

Top Bottom