What's new

Head-to-head: Fatip Nickel Classic Originale vs. Mühle R41GS

1648397124325.png
After a brief recess I decided to give my Mühle R41GS another try. My previous shaves with it were less than comfortable.
The Mühle was loaded with a Voshkod blade (2nd use). I used a Yaqi Atlantis and Proraso Azur Lime Pre-Shave Cream and shave cream.
I have never before done a three pass shave as my skin doesn't agree with that treatment.

The shave was very uncomfortable. No nicks or weepers but it felt more like scraping than shaving. It felt like every hair was screaming in pain.
Why, oh why? The result of the shave was as good as I normally achieve.

Was the Proraso not performing? (I'm not a habitual bowl-latherer but the lather was as yoghurty as one can expect) Was the Voshkod a dud? (It didn't give me a comfortable shave the first time and it didn't now). I was so curious that for the very first time I went for a third pass, but this time with my trusted Nickel Fatip Classic Originale and a –my favourite– Willy's blade that I used for some 5 previous shaves. It gave me the comfortable smooth shave I've become used to. Now of course, after two prior passes, there's hardly any stubble left. So of course it is smoother, no?

So today I decided to do the 'ultimate' test. Not ultimate as in 'the most profound test ever performed in human history' but ultimate as in 'the last chance for redemption of the Mühle RS41G'. You know it's a bloody expensive tool, so you almost feel forced to like it if you know what I mean.
I normally shave every second day or so but this challenge couldn't wait and there was just enough stubble to go ahead...

I face-lathered using the same Yaqi Atlantis but used Proraso White Soap this time. I'm quite fond of this soap, especially the scent.
I transferred the Willy's blade (5th use?) from my Fatip Originale to the Mühle and shaved the left side of my face. Then I moved the same blade back to the Fatip for the right side of the same face. Only one pass, not for the result but to experience the comfort of the shave.
Result: the Mühle behaved as harsh as the day before. I tried to change the angle slightly steeper and slightly shallower, but to no avail (just to get finger memory out of the equation). The Fatip performed as usual.

So my conclusion: While both razors give me a virtually identical shave result, the US$23.05 Fatip outperformed the US$164.86 Mühle R41GS in comfort.
One of them goes on early retirement...

P.S. I just took the opportunity to look at both razors with a 5x head magnifier. What is obvious to me is that the top cap of the Fatip pushes the blade to follow the curvature of the bottom plate much more than is the case with the Mühle, resulting in a much more pronounce blade gap for the Mühle. The Fatip's bottom plate also has more curvature than the Mühle. I suppose this means the Fatip should be used at a steeper angle than the Mühle (handle more horizontal) to achive a similar angle of attack for the blade? Well, I tried to tilt the Mühle slightly steeper than riding the cap and it still wasn't comfortable...
I also compared the Mühle R41GS to the standard R41. A visual comparison without meauring doesn't reveal any differences between the two except maybe for the slightly more defined edges of the stainless vs. the zamak. I can't believe that would make a difference? The (lighter & shorter) standard R41 never gave me as harsh a shave as the stainless version...

...The Fatip's bottom plate also has more curvature than the Mühle. I suppose this means the Fatip should be used at a steeper angle than the Mühle (handle more horizontal) to achive a similar angle of attack for the blade? Well, I tried to tilt the Mühle slightly steeper than riding the cap and it still wasn't comfortable...
Thanks for talking me out of the R41GS! I do like my standard R41 pretty well, but mostly use Fatip OCs these days. Both R41 and Fatip work best for me at a fairly steep angle, just short of scraping.

Note that "steep" refers to the angle of the blade with respect to the skin, meaning that the handle is more vertical.

If you can find one, I'll bet you would really like one of the Schöne razors. It's made by Fatip and for me shaves slightly smoother than the standard Fatip Grande/Piccolo.

1648406024972.png

Note that "steep" refers to the angle of the blade with respect to the skin, meaning that the handle is more vertical.
It also implies a specific technique. Namely that you put the safety bar to your face first, then tilt the blade until barely contacts, or a little less. Then, keeping that angle, you lift and make a stroke where the razor makes touch down at that angle while keeping the razor moving. I am not a steep shaver, but it has to be done right with an aggressive razor.

Simply rocking the razor between shallow and steep while shaving is a receipt for disaster, not offence intended.

It also implies a specific technique. Namely that you put the safety bar to your face first, then tilt the blade until barely contacts, or a little less. Then, keeping that angle, you lift and make a stroke where the razor makes touch down at that angle while keeping the razor moving. I am not a steep shaver, but it has to be done right with an aggressive razor.

Simply rocking the razor between shallow and steep while shaving is a receipt for disaster, not offence intended.
I think I have shaved long enough to know what I'm doing, thank you. I didn't say anything about a specific technique, just the angle. There's been no disasters for quite a long while, anyway.

:biggrin:

I think I have shaved long enough to know what I'm doing, thank you. I didn't say anything about a specific technique, just the angle. There's been no disasters for quite a long while, anyway.

:biggrin:
SORRY! I wasn't posting that AT you. I was throwing that out there because it seems some people don't understand that you can't just tilt it down and call it steep with that much blade exposure! 😔

I was not rocking during the stroke. Just changing angles between strokes!

The GS is around 5% more aggressive then the Reg 41, I have both but I shave daily with the GS and love it. I have no doubt that you're using the right technic but I guess your skin is not made for this razor. As they say YMMV. In any case it was interesting you getting to the bottom of it.

R41 is a scraper......but if you put a sharp blade (Nacet, Personna Israel, Feather....), it will not pull hairs so much but cut them....

And yes; it is almost imposible to beat Fatip for that price.....and as mentioned: schoone are great.....smoother.

If you do not enjoy it, sell it....

Thanks for review and comparison. I'm here split, as I'm super-satisfied with R89 on the mild-side as well as with Fatip Piccolo OC (agree on efficiency + comfort vs. pure agression in blade feel in R41). I'm still weighing on R41, or at least in replacement head to swap with R89 but for Fatip - I'd buy another one without second guess, so I think it says something as well. Afterall it's your enjoyment in shave that matters, it's not "scraping my skin layers competition" 🧐

View attachment 1430008After a brief recess I decided to give my Mühle R41GS another try. My previous shaves with it were less than comfortable.
The Mühle was loaded with a Voshkod blade (2nd use). I used a Yaqi Atlantis and Proraso Azur Lime Pre-Shave Cream and shave cream.
I have never before done a three pass shave as my skin doesn't agree with that treatment.

The shave was very uncomfortable. No nicks or weepers but it felt more like scraping than shaving. It felt like every hair was screaming in pain.

Was the Proraso not performing? (I'm not a habitual bowl-latherer but the lather was as yoghurty as one can expect) Was the Voshkod a dud? (It didn't give me a comfortable shave the first time and it didn't now). I was so curious that for the very first time I went for a third pass, but this time with my trusted Nickel Fatip Classic Originale and a –my favourite– Willy's blade that I used for some 5 previous shaves. It gave me the comfortable smooth shave I've become used to. Now of course, after two prior passes, there's hardly any stubble left. So of course it is smoother, no?

So today I decided to do the 'ultimate' test. Not ultimate as in 'the most profound test ever performed in human history' but ultimate as in 'the last chance for redemption of the Mühle RS41G'. You know it's a bloody expensive tool, so you almost feel forced to like it if you know what I mean.
I normally shave every second day or so but this challenge couldn't wait and there was just enough stubble to go ahead...

I face-lathered using the same Yaqi Atlantis but used Proraso White Soap this time. I'm quite fond of this soap, especially the scent.
I transferred the Willy's blade (5th use?) from my Fatip Originale to the Mühle and shaved the left side of my face. Then I moved the same blade back to the Fatip for the right side of the same face. Only one pass, not for the result but to experience the comfort of the shave.
Result: the Mühle behaved as harsh as the day before. I tried to change the angle slightly steeper and slightly shallower, but to no avail (just to get finger memory out of the equation). The Fatip performed as usual.

So my conclusion: While both razors give me a virtually identical shave result, the US$23.05 Fatip outperformed the US$164.86 Mühle R41GS in comfort.

P.S. I just took the opportunity to look at both razors with a 5x head magnifier. What is obvious to me is that the top cap of the Fatip pushes the blade to follow the curvature of the bottom plate much more than is the case with the Mühle, resulting in a much more pronounce blade gap for the Mühle. The Fatip's bottom plate also has more curvature than the Mühle. I suppose this means the Fatip should be used at a steeper angle than the Mühle (handle more horizontal) to achive a similar angle of attack for the blade? Well, I tried to tilt the Mühle slightly steeper than riding the cap and it still wasn't comfortable...
I also compared the Mühle R41GS to the standard R41. A visual comparison without meauring doesn't reveal any differences between the two except maybe for the slightly more defined edges of the stainless vs. the zamak. I can't believe that would make a difference? The (lighter & shorter) standard R41 never gave me as harsh a shave as the stainless version...
No surprise here

Thanks for review and comparison. I'm here split, as I'm super-satisfied with R89 on the mild-side as well as with Fatip Piccolo OC (agree on efficiency + comfort vs. pure agression in blade feel in R41). I'm still weighing on R41, or at least in replacement head to swap with R89 but for Fatip - I'd buy another one without second guess, so I think it says something as well. Afterall it's your enjoyment in shave that matters, it's not "scraping my skin layers competition" 🧐

Hearing about all of the horrors of the R41, I never much considered it. Then I came across the R41 head only, on Amazon for $25. I had to go for it.

Now, I use it all the time. I think all the talk about its "aggressiveness" is just plain silly! At the beginning, I was super cautious at first because of prior psychological programming. After I got using it, it wasn't any big deal at all.

I view the R41 head as more efficient, not more agressive. I find the blade feel refreshing and it helps me shave spot on because I always know exactly where the blade is and what it is doing.

In a more efficient razor design, it is more important to shave with a sharp blade. When I say sharp blade, if doesn't have to be a Feather or aky blade along those super sharp lines.

I shave using any of the two dozen blades I have in quantity. They all work fine, including the Feather.

In a milder razor, if a blade is getting dull, the razor head will just slide right over it.

A more efficient razor is determined to conduct a head-on assault with your facial hair. If the blade is dull, it will not slide over it, it will attempt to cut it anyway.

You can use any blade but the blade must be in good enough of condition that it will slice right through the hair, otherwise, it will tug.

I get extra close shaves with the R41 that leave my face feeling like glass. This closeness will last into the following morning. I don't get any facial irritation from shaving with the R41.

I would definitely make give the R41 head a try for $25.

View attachment 1430008After a brief recess I decided to give my Mühle R41GS another try. My previous shaves with it were less than comfortable.

Perhaps try a really sharp blade in both razors (Feather). A sharp blade might provide a way better shave with the R41.

Top Bottom