What's new

Adjustable Butterfly - Recommendations?

I am looking to purchase an adjustable butterfly razor. I know its a niche market. So far I have only found Weishi, Viking Blades, and Rockwell. If you know other brands that have them, please let me know.

Background: I use a 1966 Gillette Super Speed Flare and a Parker 26C open comb. I'm not quite satisfied with this combo. I find the Flare a bit mild, which is okay for chin (to my everlasting embarrassment I have more thick stubble than a 14 year old), but it doesn't hold up so well for underarms and legs. The Parker is a tad more aggressive than I like, so I have to be careful/slow, which for a quick hop in the shower doesn't work so well. The Parker is also is prone to clogging, which was the final push for a change. I'm getting really tired of the finicky loosening/opening the head to unclog while in the shower. Or afterwards, a hot rinse isn't enough, I have to take it completely apart. My thought is keeping the flare by the sink for touchups to chin, and have a butterfly adjustable for the shower, that can handle chin/armpits/legs.

I prefer mid to mid/aggressive overall, if its adjustable and basically a couple of flavours of mild, that won't do. I prefer a longer handle, average is okay, short is problematic. I tend towards heavier, mid range is fine, particularly light is least favoured.

My research so far:
Weishi - Black. Wasn't keen on hearing the base plate on some is zinc. Haven't heard anything bad, but nothing stand out positive either.
Viking Blades - The Crusader had a lot of reviews saying it clogs, has finicky adjustment indicator, that can come loose, or stick. The Emperor had a lot of reviews say the indicator was finicky to turn and would stick, nothing about loose, or about clogs. Zinc baseplate. The Meiji had slightly better reviews, but as to my preferences, not so keen with short/thick body.
Rockwell - Rockwell T2 - Good. Not likely to clog excellent. But, the price is a lot steeper, relatively speaking. And for the money, I was surprise that a chrome/zinc alloy was used for part of it. I can live with the shorter handle, but... overall, is it worth the money?

So, I'm leaning to going low with the Weishi, or going high with the T2. But, though I haven't been around here for years, I knew it was a good place to come to get others to weigh in on their experiences and opinions. Also, am I missing any other brands that might have an adjustable butterfly, including vintage?

I own the Rockwell T2, so I can speak on it a little bit. It shaves pretty well and has a good weighty feel in the hand. The adjustment mechanism is good and tight, and the butterfly doors work well. Additionally I've not found clogging to be an issue at all. However, I regret purchasing the razor as I already own a Rockwell 6s, which in my opinion is a better shaver when compared with its sibling. I bought it to try it out as my first true adjustable, and I've just found that they're not really for me.

All that being said, it is a good razor and I expect that it would work well for your purposes! The price is a little steep and I agree that the zamak is really not appealing when paying a premium like that. To answer your question at the end, I would probably say that it is not worth the money at its current price point. If it were a little cheaper, then yes definitely. Maybe you could try finding one on the BST if none of the others sing to you in the same way!

As silverlifter said above, Gillette Slim Adjustable. Also look at the Rockwell 6C or 6S. Though not adjustable, I'll add that my wife loves her Henson mild for legs and chin and Leaf Twig for underarms.

QShave Parthenon II is better than these.....@mazon has it.
I did have Parthenon on my list, but dropped. I think I got mixed up and thought it was a 2-piece, as they have one, and a butterfly, but not both. I was researching a lot of razors at the same time, and it got a bit chaotic. Also, may have mistaken Parthenon reviews (which some weren't so good), with Parth2, which were better.

Thing is, Canadian Amazon has them as currently unavailable, I can't see any on Amazon. com, and the QShave site only has the Parthenon, not the II.

I own the Rockwell T2, so I can speak on it a little bit. It shaves pretty well and has a good weighty feel in the hand. The adjustment mechanism is good and tight, and the butterfly doors work well. Additionally I've not found clogging to be an issue at all. However, I regret purchasing the razor as I already own a Rockwell 6s, which in my opinion is a better shaver when compared with its sibling. I bought it to try it out as my first true adjustable, and I've just found that they're not really for me.

All that being said, it is a good razor and I expect that it would work well for your purposes! The price is a little steep and I agree that the zamak is really not appealing when paying a premium like that. To answer your question at the end, I would probably say that it is not worth the money at its current price point. If it were a little cheaper, then yes definitely. Maybe you could try finding one on the BST if none of the others sing to you in the same way!
Thanks. I perhaps should have put more emphasis that the butterfly/tto is non-negotiable. I'm looking for something to replace my Parker 26C open comb as my 'go to' all-purpose. Two-piece/Three-piece are just not an option, and my butterfly Gillette Super Speed Flare is wonderful (*modest blush* birth year as well), but too mild as an all around, fine for chin, but not close enough for armpits/legs, I end up needing to shave way more often. Meantime, besides fiddling with the three piece set up due to clog/build up, the 26C is a bit on the aggressive side for me (legs not too bad, underarms are a study in patience).

Thanks for the info though. It's good to get info on the T2, as it is still a contender.

I'm specifically looking for a "butterfly/tto" adjustable razor. Also, that thread asks for current production. In my post I make it clear that vintage recommendations are welcome. (I didn't see the thread, but having checked out your link, I'd mention that three pages of posts, where I'd have to look up every name I didn't know (which would be most of the modern ones), to see if they were a butterfly or not, seems a bit silly rather than posting a thread for what I am specifically looking for Buttefly Adjustable, along with recommendations on the specific razors from Weishi, Viking Blades, and Rockwell that meet that criteria.

Gillette Slim. Great razor, and can be picked up for a song.
Thanks, I used to know more about Gillette when I was collecting a number of years back, but it seemed a bit overwhelming to try and find the best vintage, and I don't know much about anything other than Gillette. Others here have suggested the Slim, and I took a look. A bit on the high end for me, but I'm a Gillette fan, so definitely on the 'maybe' list. Thanks.

As silverlifter said above, Gillette Slim Adjustable. Also look at the Rockwell 6C or 6S. Though not adjustable, I'll add that my wife loves her Henson mild for legs and chin and Leaf Twig for underarms.
Thanks. I'm trying for the arms & legs with one razor, chin with the other, kind of split, but if I can't find a butterfly adjustable that suits, the recommendations are appreciated.

As stated above, get a Gillette Slim or Black Beauty and you will be set!!! Where are you located at?

Tom
Hi, I'm in Canada, and can do Ebay and Amazon. ca, but really try to avoid US Amazon, for reasons. The slim is looking like a good idea. The Slim is kind of at the top end of my price range, and I doubt I'd ever find a half decent Black Beauty for lower than a Slim. I peeked on Ebay, a couple of Slims in okay condition there. Of course, its always a bit of a crap shoot with Ebay unless you're dealing with someone that only does razors/shave related. I'm fine with scratches and minor wear on finish, lots of finish gone is barely acceptable, and any kind of pitting, denting, etc is right out.

I have to put a vote in for the Fatboy! I am one of those in the minority who find it smoother than the Slim, JM
I actually had one in my collection back in the day, that was in regular use for a short time. I'm not so keen on short/stubby, and I'm actually looking for mid-agressive. My go to is a Parker 26C open comb, which is a bit too aggressive for underarms, and I have to pay attention for legs, but my Gillette Super Speed Flare is too mild for anything but my chin. (Also, anything but very crappy condition ones cost a bit because they are so well liked and collectible).

1. Rockwell 6s,6c, Rockwell T2, and parker variant are all good choices..
I'm really hoping for an adjustable butterfly, so T2 is in the running. If I can't get what I want, then it would drop to just a butterfly, but hopefully one that gives the kind of shave I want (mid/mid-aggressive). I've got my eye on the Parker 96R as a butterfly option. Most of the other current Parkers seem to be too aggressive. My current 26C open comb is a bit too agressive, so want to dial it down a bit. Any suggestions on vintage Parker's that are adjustable butterflies are welcome.

+3! You beat me to it! Great razors IMO! :thumbup1::thumbup1:
Thanks for weighing in. I"m a bit of a Gilette and vintage fan, so it might be the way to go. I was sort of trying for current when I first looked around, because I was trying not to dip my toes back into the 'vintage' waters, its how I got hooked, spent way too much money, but the good thing was, to disentangle myself, I gave my entire collection (about a large shoe box full, most vintages and not in boxes) to the Saint Sue charity auction, which made me feel much better about it all. I'll see who else weighs in, and check out more reviews, but its nice to be able to post here and get opinions on what I posted, and recommendations on stuff that I hadn't checked out so far.

I'm specifically looking for a "butterfly/tto" adjustable razor. Also, that thread asks for current production. In my post I make it clear that vintage recommendations are welcome. (I didn't see the thread, but having checked out your link, I'd mention that three pages of posts, where I'd have to look up every name I didn't know (which would be most of the modern ones), to see if they were a butterfly or not, seems a bit silly rather than posting a thread for what I am specifically looking for Buttefly Adjustable, along with recommendations on the specific razors from Weishi, Viking Blades, and Rockwell that meet that criteria.
Sorry, just trying to help.

Top Bottom