What's new

Underrated and Hidden Gem Soaps

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
As a native of NYC, my favorite under-the-radar soap is The Holy Black. Small batch NYC artisan with a wonderful “Gangs of New York”, 50’s Biker, hot rod aesthetic. Their quality and packaging is amazing. Some very creative and resourceful people there. Some of the special themed releases they put out are wild! But their soaps are top tier for me. Great lather, slickness and scent profiles. Their bourbon base aftershaves are terrific too. The big issue is that due to their infrequent and tiny batches, their stuff is hard to get, and drops of their themed, limited releases sell out super quickly. But it’s worth it if you can get it.

12575B02-179F-4639-95E8-EA89148F2E28.jpeg 97D32472-5EFD-4C1D-BD30-E79BBE07C77F.jpegFBF491D2-46D1-4DE9-8EEF-9C29C7A30CF4.jpeg691BA1F2-BE44-4270-94DC-BF329B346CA6.jpeg

Vulfix shaving soap. It's underrated because I never hear it mentioned.

Wilkinson Sword shave stick because it's similar to Mitchell's Wool Fat (contains lanolin).

I love these kind of threads where hopefully find some artisans that are really unknown, have found many favorites from trades or gambling on unknowns.some are discontinued but many on this list are still around. Here are some that come to mind:

Wet The Face
Elegant Rose
Adagio Road Soaps
Ballenclaugh Soaps
Soap Smooth
The Shave Den
SMG
Stache Soapworks
Victory Shaving
Turtleship Grooming
Square One Soapworks
Perfectly Natural Soaps
Passionately Natural
Smitten Soapery (now called Zingari)
Spiteful Soaps
Calani
Grandstaff Soap Co.
MER Shaving
Lisa's Natural
345 Soaps
Southern Witchcrafts
OZ Shaving
Envy Shave
Shave Revolution
Tiki Soaps
Dead Sea Shave
Godrej Shaving Round

SoOO many choices to choose from but a lot of my favorite soap bases are much lesser known on the fourms for some weird reason. Elegant Rose, Square One Soapworks, and Adagio Road are perfect example of this, pretty sure I'm one of the few if the only one that mentions these artisans around here but great soap bases.

As a native of NYC, my favorite under-the-radar soap is The Holy Black. Small batch NYC artisan with a wonderful “Gangs of New York”, 50’s Biker, hot rod aesthetic. Their quality and packaging is amazing. Some very creative and resourceful people there. Some of the special themed releases they put out are wild! But their soaps are top tier for me. Great lather, slickness and scent profiles. Their bourbon base aftershaves are terrific too. The big issue is that due to their infrequent and tiny batches, their stuff is hard to get, and drops of their themed, limited releases sell out super quickly. But it’s worth it if you can get it.

View attachment 1428106 View attachment 1428107View attachment 1428108View attachment 1428110
I'm a big fan of the Caswell-Massey #6 scent and picked up the shaving soap, manufactured by The Holy Black. Not cheap (you pay for the Caswell-Massey name), but outstanding soap that captures the scent perfectly.

I know the Proraso regular lineup gets a lot of love on here but I don’t hear much about their single edge lineup. I just tried their wood and spice cream and found it to be extremely good
Personally, I am having trouble finding both the cream and the splash in the scent I want from the same retailer. I feel like they ordered once about a year ago and aren't restocking. I can't order alcohol based stuff from Gifts and Care or I would.

Top Bottom