What's new

Omega x MoonSWATCH

I'm not sure what I think. the strap would go first thing, no matter what. I just scanned this and would want decent waterproofing if I wore it outdoors anywhere.

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all... but I'm almost never a fan of covers by muscicians, and this feels like a cover song. I've never been a label chaser and I'd never buy a knock off to pretend I had an original. this feels kinda like that for me right now. I get the joint ownership probably pushing it, but... yeah.

and I wouldn't turn my nose up at anyone with one, but I don't see me buying one even though a couple look pretty good to my taste.

I'm curious to see how well the ceramic holds up over time. bezels have as far as I can tell. advancement in materials sciences intrigues/impresses me these days.

I'm not sure what I think. the strap would go first thing, no matter what. I just scanned this and would want decent waterproofing if I wore it outdoors anywhere.

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all... but I'm almost never a fan of covers by muscicians, and this feels like a cover song. I've never been a label chaser and I'd never buy a knock off to pretend I had an original. this feels kinda like that for me right now. I get the joint ownership probably pushing it, but... yeah.

and I wouldn't turn my nose up at anyone with one, but I don't see me buying one even though a couple look pretty good to my taste.

I'm curious to see how well the ceramic holds up over time. bezels have as far as I can tell. advancement in materials sciences intrigues/impresses me these days.
The ceramic thing is the biggest plus that makes it attractive to me. The WR and movement is a minus. I’ll try to see them in person on Saturday. If they have some and the colors really pop I might get one otherwise I’ll stick to what I have :)

42337E57-18EE-45B8-8D54-367422FFC9FA.jpeg

It's a miss for me. If I wanted a colorful chronograph I'd go for Farer - better specs and an automatic movement.

I won't go as far and say this is a cash grab by The Swatch Group, but they are certainly trying to introduce watches to a younger audience (with the hopes they will one day be able to purchase from their more expensive brands). They will sell a bunch, without a doubt.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I just had a look and Australia doesn’t feature on the Swatch page. It was telling me to go to the Swatch International website for further information. Some of them look good to me but I cannot physically see one and touch one to make up my mind.

I won't go as far and say this is a cash grab by The Swatch Group, but they are certainly trying to introduce watches to a younger audience (with the hopes they will one day be able to purchase from their more expensive brands). They will sell a bunch, without a doubt.

This ^

My view is that Swatch is not as focused on the sales in the short term but instead sales in the long term. That is where the margin resides. With the faux version on their wrist for now, the young customer will want the authentic version in the future. What I ask is does this version add or take away from the original? I find myself conflicted. At once turned off by that garish presentation and yet a moment later it seems fun / exciting. Can't seem to decide.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
They are essentially knocking off their own brand. Strange marketing move. Probably unprecedented. I like the mercury model. But would never spend $300 on a swatch watch.

I am not sure about the branding either, particularly having both Swatch and Omega on the dial. While watch nerds might know about the Swatch group, I thought their approach was to keep each brand in their own lane so to speak. Since watches prices are based much on tradition, perception, exclusiveness, etc. I think they would have been better off branding it a Swatch "moonSwatch" and keeping Omega & Speedmaster off the dial

But the watch itself looks pretty fun.

I just had a look and Australia doesn’t feature on the Swatch page. It was telling me to go to the Swatch International website for further information. Some of them look good to me but I cannot physically see one and touch one to make up my mind.
They will be available in stores n Melbourne and Sydney.
72E9277E-546C-4B7C-9E44-FDE4DE3835E3.jpeg

I think they would have been better off branding it a Swatch "moonSwatch" and keeping Omega & Speedmaster off the dial

Without Omega and Speedmaster on the dial "moonSwatch" makes no sense to John Q. Public. They put it on there to introduce Omega to a wider audience that hadn't heard of them and/or the story of the Moon watch. Hopefully when those people hit middle age and have disposable income they will buy an Omega (or a Longines, Rado, Certina, or any other TSG brand). And TSG gets a nice bump of publicity and cash now. Simple but effective marketing.

They look like perfectly good watches at a good price. Quite a faithful replica of the Omega Speedmaster case and dial graphics based on the pics. It‘s almost as if Swatch has decided to get in on the replica business. You see replica Rolexes and sometimes other well known makes all over the place in street markets and even b&m stores - they’re obviously mass produced copies with quartz movements. Here, Swatch is tapping into that same market itself and backing it with its name. The speedy is so well established that it’s unlikely to cheapen the brand imo. It may even refresh it. Swatch will probably make a lot of money off this idea.

I'm a bit conflicted on this one, but I for sure think they shouldn't have offered the Mission to the Moon version (maybe the Mission to Mercury, too) since that definitely comes across as trying to copy the original a little too closely in terms of appearance. As for the others, at least they're bringing some of their own personality to the table and don't feel as much like they're trying to be something that they're not.

This announcement has certainly created a lot of buzz, though. As I type this, the comments on Hodinkee are up to 921, which may be a new record.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Maybe when (if) they come to online retailers, I'll consider one, a long it's jot a jacked up price. Probably go for the Pluto.

Top Bottom