What's new

Maggard Razors 28mm Premium Boar

When I first joined this site (March 2006), there was a brush I would see from time to time that was affectionately called " the Tortoise Hog"; it was a 28mm Boar in a "tortoise" handle. You could get it in Boar or Badger then and as usual, some members had both!

Since I was new to the shaving game, I was always going to get around to ordering one, but time, tastes in equipment, and availability (lack thereof) caught up with my wishes. My Boar "collection" consisted of 3 brushes- an Omega Boar, SOC in Cherry, and an unused B&B Remembering Sue.

With the desire for a "tortoise hog" (large size only) and to use the new break-in method for boars, I went to Maggard's and ordered the 28mm Premium Boar knot and a Midnight blue handle for it.

Funny thing is, I didn't put it in the fridge; just left it on the bathroom sink soaking, changed the water each day for a 3 day period, while also rubbing conditioner into the bristles each day before rinsing and then placing back in to soak.

Of course, on its "maiden voyage" (using Vostok shave cream), it proceeded to eat up most of the lather by the time for my 2nd pass. Hmmm, what can I use that will lather easily and work well with Vostok? The answer was MdC Fougere. Some swirls on top for about 10 seconds and lather was exploding everywhere ( accidental discovery of a superlather- Cooling Fougere; I'll take it!)

I was able to finish my shave and due to the amount of bristles (very dense), the breech is still damp at this time. I am looking forward to breaking it in the rest of the way naturally, but I believe I'm off to a good start.

I have owned the Omega for 16 years, the SOC for 12, the B&B since Nov 21, and the Maggard's for about 10 days.

20220321_125540.jpg20220321_125610.jpg20220321_125439.jpg

marty

Looks like a great brush and nice boar collection overall.

Lately I've become more interested in Boar brushes again. I picked up a Zenith a number of months ago and have really enjoyed it once it was broken in, so just ordered Mondial to keep it company. I forgot how nice they can be after breaking them in.

For breaking in my Zenith, I soaked it overnight, then did about 25 test lather & drying cycles whenever I'd shave using one of my other brushes, which is typically every other day. It started to get noticeably better after about 10 cycles, but got really good after about 20 cycles. It just keeps getting better each time I use it, too.

As this Boar journey continues, I'm amazed at how soft the bristles are currently while having a scrub to them but no scratch. For the 2nd shave with the brush, since e it was Tabac Tuesday, it was a no brainer. I knew it would load the Tabac and not hold on to it and sure enough, it turned out that way. Had enough for 3 passes. I'm still surprised at how much it bloomed- it has the largest bloom of any of my brushes and I did not expect that. Once I get this dialed in, it will truly be a Maggard's Hog.

Maggard 28mm Shave 2.jpg

marty

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
As this Boar journey continues, I'm amazed at how soft the bristles are currently while having a scrub to them but no scratch. For the 2nd shave with the brush, since e it was Tabac Tuesday, it was a no brainer. I knew it would load the Tabac and not hold on to it and sure enough, it turned out that way. Had enough for 3 passes. I'm still surprised at how much it bloomed- it has the largest bloom of any of my brushes and I did not expect that. Once I get this dialed in, it will truly be a Maggard's Hog.

View attachment 1428459

marty
Looks like the loft is set high to get a nice bloom like that, it sure looks soft as you mentioned.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
When I first joined this site (March 2006), there was a brush I would see from time to time that was affectionately called " the Tortoise Hog"; it was a 28mm Boar in a "tortoise" handle. You could get it in Boar or Badger then and as usual, some members had both!

Since I was new to the shaving game, I was always going to get around to ordering one, but time, tastes in equipment, and availability (lack thereof) caught up with my wishes. My Boar "collection" consisted of 3 brushes- an Omega Boar, SOC in Cherry, and an unused B&B Remembering Sue.

With the desire for a "tortoise hog" (large size only) and to use the new break-in method for boars, I went to Maggard's and ordered the 28mm Premium Boar knot and a Midnight blue handle for it.

Funny thing is, I didn't put it in the fridge; just left it on the bathroom sink soaking, changed the water each day for a 3 day period, while also rubbing conditioner into the bristles each day before rinsing and then placing back in to soak.

Of course, on its "maiden voyage" (using Vostok shave cream), it proceeded to eat up most of the lather by the time for my 2nd pass. Hmmm, what can I use that will lather easily and work well with Vostok? The answer was MdC Fougere. Some swirls on top for about 10 seconds and lather was exploding everywhere ( accidental discovery of a superlather- Cooling Fougere; I'll take it!)

I was able to finish my shave and due to the amount of bristles (very dense), the breech is still damp at this time. I am looking forward to breaking it in the rest of the way naturally, but I believe I'm off to a good start.

I have owned the Omega for 16 years, the SOC for 12, the B&B since Nov 21, and the Maggard's for about 10 days.

View attachment 1427343View attachment 1427344View attachment 1427345

marty

Oh my gosh, I love that brushes handle so much, its very psychedelic! You know how to pick nice brushes with good handles, I'll give you that. And you appear to know how to really soak a bore brush, to get it ready for use. Seems like you've done all your research, and your well on your way to success. Good deal!

@ Star Wahl Clipper Treker the handle is from Maggard's also; they have it in a lighter blue. Initially, I was going to purchase a tortoise handle but didn't want to wait on it.

I got the idea of how to soak/break in a boar from another post on this site about boar brushes and putting them in the fridge.

@ Ron R I didn't do anything special when setting the knot; just mixed the resin and applied it to the bottom and pushed the knot in. I liked that the interior hole wasn't too deep as I wanted the knot to be able to splay like it does on my SOC.

Having said all of that, here was my setup for my 3rd shave with the Maggard's Boar (28mm):

3rd Shave.jpg

Knowing that a new boar will hold on to lather, I made sure to load it up with MdC Agrumes. I'm still using the RR JAWS (Gillette Swede on 3) and splashing on Myrsol Aqua De Limon.

marty

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I went to Maggard's and ordered the 28mm Premium Boar knot and a Midnight blue handle for it.

marty

Nicely done, Marty.

Great to have a source for good boar knots. They're not easily found sometimes.

Most boars in my experience don't need to be broken in. Some do. All, or almost all, eventually break in developing many more split ends. It all adds to the fun. (Well, not the very few which end up in the trash because of their failure to ever break in properly.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom