What's new

Merkur 23C and 34C Head Geometry?

I do already have the Merkur 23C as well as several alternate handles. Despite this I am feeling the urge to add the 34C razor.

I realize one is a 3 piece design vs the 34C being 2 piece, but once assembled is the head geometry effectively the same?

I do have the following handles that I can swap with the 23C:

Gillette Heritage
Razorock Bulldog handle
Razorock Tech II handle

I also have several of Razorock's inexpensive heads, but that is the topic of another discussion. The Merkur 23C is my favorite razor.

I have not made up my mind about whether I prefer long or short handles. In general I do not like excessively heavy handles, and with very large hands am fine with long (and relatively light) handles.

I figure that I can get a very similar razor to the 34C by using the Gillette Heritage handle with the Merkur 23C head.

So once assembled is the head geometry of the 23C and 34C the same? Close?

Thanks.

Comparing the head geometry of my 23c and 34c, they appear to be identical. You should get similar shaves from both. The balance point may be a little different, but I haven't noticed any difference in practice.

If you drop the razor, I would expect the 34c to be more likely to survive. On the 23c all of the impact would be focused on the top of the threaded post. I lost a cap that way only 2 months after I received it. On the 34c, with the base being affixed to the handle, the impact should be spread out a little. Of course, the replacement caps are available from Dovo, so you might not care.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Merkur has only TWO heads. Actually, just one, open comb and safety bar version. All other differences always refer to the handle.

Futur, Progress excluded, of course. But the others are all the same. The difference is handle length, diameter, sometimes the handles are also particularly fancy.

merkur.png

This is an overview I found a while ago.
Kurz means short handle, Lang means long handle. Thick diameter is dick and slim handles are dünn.
Geschlossener Kamm means closed comb/safety bar, offener Kamm means open comb.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Merkur has only TWO heads. Actually, just one, open comb and safety bar version.

One does get that sense. Too bad, that. Well...they technically have THREE with the slant head (and, as you note, excluding the adjustables). Too bad they no longer make an OC slant. Good starters, though.

O.H.

...I have not made up my mind about whether I prefer long or short handles. In general I do not like excessively heavy handles, and with very large hands am fine with long (and relatively light) handles.

I figure that I can get a very similar razor to the 34C by using the Gillette Heritage handle with the Merkur 23C head.

So once assembled is the head geometry of the 23C and 34C the same? Close?
The heritage inspired razor handle is a copy of the New Common Bar handle which was light and a cause of complaint by some. The copy is about 20 grams in weight and 11.5mm diameter, so whilst you will have a razor similar to the 34C, the balance point will be a little different.
The other two Razorock handles you have may give you a better balance with the 23C head.

Razorock sells a stainless HD handle that is a good visual match for the Merkur head and not excessively heavy. That's what I'd suggest.

Another nice handle that might work well is the Maggard MR11. It is a bulldog style handle, but fairly short.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Have you considered the Merkur 38C? It's a two piece design with a longer, barber pole handle. Our youngest son swears by his. You wouldn't be able to switch out the handle, of course.. but it might be perfect for you.

I do already have the Merkur 23C as well as several alternate handles. Despite this I am feeling the urge to add the 34C razor.

I realize one is a 3 piece design vs the 34C being 2 piece, but once assembled is the head geometry effectively the same?

I do have the following handles that I can swap with the 23C:

Gillette Heritage
Razorock Bulldog handle
Razorock Tech II handle
I don't have the Razorock handles you listed, but I do use the Gillette Heritage handle with my 23c. I also find it works well with a Weber Bulldog handle.

One of my favorites. But then so is the 34C. I would agree that the geometry is effectively the same.

Top Bottom