What's new

Aggressiveness or mildness of a blade ?

How does one tell if a double edge razor blade is aggressive, mild, or in between ? Do we base it off of our experience with the use of having a DE razor blade with a razor ?

I dont recall ever seeing manufacturers posting the sharpness or mildness of DE razor blades with such statistics. But someone will chime in if I am wrong.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
How does one tell if a double edge razor blade is aggressive, mild, or in between ? Do we base it off of our experience with the use of having a DE razor blade with a razor ?

I dont recall ever seeing manufacturers posting the sharpness or mildness of DE razor blades with such statistics. But someone will chime in if I am wrong.
I believe it is your personal experiences because every ones beard types are different from density, age and gene pool generics.
Some manufactures just might not have same quality of equipment for manufacturing blades, steel alloys, coatings.

Ask here at B&B. Research here at B&B. There is some general info in this website but not all agree with the findings, it's been discussed here before.

Ask, read and test.
For example, I like feather blades and some say they are too sharp. I also enjoy the Nacet blade and its nowhere near the keenness of a feather. Your skin type and experience in using the blade and the razor it's in makes a big difference in what is right for you being keen or smooth or how long it lasts.
Personal Preference.

There is only one, truly reliable, way to determine the quality of a blade: load it into a razor and shave your face. Everything else is just a potential indicator that may, or may not, have any relevance for you.

In other words... spend your own money. Your mileage may vary. ;-)

Ask, read and test.
For example, I like feather blades and some say they are too sharp. I also enjoy the Nacet blade and its nowhere near the keenness of a feather. Your skin type and experience in using the blade and the razor it's in makes a big difference in what is right for you being keen or smooth or how long it lasts.
Personal Preference.

Feather is my favorite. Found that out when I got my first sample pack when I got my Merkur Futur. When I first tried Merker Razors that came with my Merkur Futur Razor, they gave quite the shave. For some reason, I cannot reproduce that same feeling as I get with the Feather Razors.

That's why we're all here, amirite? :p

Do I dare ask you.... What is the best shaving cream ??? For me - it is anything that lathers nicely and smells good !!!! IE: any of my Taylor of Old Bond Street qualifies. Does Old Spice measure up ? We shall find out in my future shave adventures !!!!

Razors are generally rated as aggressive or mild. This depends on several variables, including blade exposure.

Blades are usually rated on their sharpness and smootheness. The exception is Kai blades. They are wider than other blades and increase blade exposure. Kai blades can ruin the nicest razor.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Well I guess I am keeping my razors away from Kia Blades then and just be happy with feathers, astras, and merkur razor blades.
Kai blades are excellent blades and are sharp & smooth with excellent longevity. They work well in a mild razor or fellows who like blade feel. Not sure what happened to @Happy Jack with the Kai SS blade.

Razors are generally rated as aggressive or mild. This depends on several variables, including blade exposure.

Blades are usually rated on their sharpness and smootheness.

I agree with these criteria. At least these work for me!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

In contrast, I also enjoy Kai blades which are sharp, smooth and long-lasting!!

I'm not sure that aggressiveness would be the proper way to rate a blade. Sharpness, and or smoothness, yes.
Aggressiveness and mildness would work better as a razor rating IMO.

Top Bottom