What's new

Tip that might ??? change your shaving life.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
"Cold Shaving" is an actual thing. Ben Franklin among others promoted it. Cold water = stiff whiskers = cleaner cut. Cold water and skin don't promote as much bacteria growth as a warm environment. I kind of go with what ever water temp is available to me at the time.
Cold water shaving is a thing, many folks do it. Not me, but as they say... YMMV.
I think the differentiation is cold water shaving and hot water shaving vs the proposed idea that just running a razor under cold water is magical.

Cold water shaving is a thing, many folks do it. Not me, but as they say... YMMV.
I think the differentiation is cold water shaving and hot water shaving vs the proposed idea that just running a razor under cold water is magical.

Well, some folks believe that most (if not all) high-end modern and super rare vintage razors are magical just as some believe that vintage blades, ''artisan'' soaps, $200 + badger brushes and what not, so why can't people believe that cold water is magical as well? I most certainly don't but it's only fair to let people think that way.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Well, some folks believe that most (if not all) high-end modern and super rare vintage razors are magical just as some believe that vintage blades, ''artisan'' soaps, $200 + badger brushes and what not, so why can't people believe that cold water is magical as well? I most certainly don't but it's only fair to let people think that way.
Folks can believe whatever they please!
That won't stop us from saying we don't right? :lol1:

"Cold Shaving" is an actual thing. Ben Franklin among others promoted it. Cold water = stiff whiskers = cleaner cut. Cold water and skin don't promote as much bacteria growth as a warm environment. I kind of go with what ever water temp is available to me at the time.

The issue here is not disputing the benefits of cold water shaving. That indisputably does work for many.

What is arrant nonsense is the notion that somehow, magically, running your razor under cold water, while still prepping and lathering with warm water will make any substantive difference. This is no different to suggesting that you stand on one foot only while rinsing your razor because you will halve your conductivity with the ground...

A Physicist friend of his said dip the razor in cold water.
My Meteorologist friend disagrees and says it's just the low pressure area in his bathroom.
A Geneticist friend of mine is on the fence and thinks it may have to do with his DNA.
The Biologist thinks it's hogwash and that it's the natural reaction of his skin cells.
The Astronomer believes it's coincidental to the orbit of the planet.
A Chemist I know thinks it's one of the compounds he's using.
The Geologist I consulted thinks there may be a magnetite deposit near his house.
My brother, the Paleontologist thinks that fossils he has uncovered may reveal the truth.
My neighbor the Zoologist thinks that all animals share this trait.
My buddy the Botanist thinks that the natural ingredients of his shave soap are the reason.
I think taking advice on shaving from someone who has fewer shaves than the guy that joined the site this morning is probably bad odds.
My Mathematician friend agrees.
Brother superman,

Your analysis is brilliant. It should be placed in some shaving archive. Please continue to bless us with your uncommon wisdom!

Caution: I think what was meant by "cold water" was in fact cool water or neutral water, not ice cube water. Can I prove that? Nope. But I firmly believe it, for whatever that's worth. :lemo:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Caution: I think what was meant by "cold water" was in fact cool water or neutral water, not ice cube water. Can I prove that? Nope. But I firmly believe it, for whatever that's worth. :lemo:
As Franklin lived between 1706 and 1790, a point in time when the availability of ice was limited to the winter months only, I'd have to agree with you completely!

i alternate summer time heat i use only cold water winter hot water best difference maker for me is dunking the razor into water before each stroke/pass/ cut of my whiskers that extra bit of water on the razor head makes for a better smoother shave for my face atleastplus knowing how the hair grows

As Franklin lived between 1706 and 1790, a point in time when the availability of ice was limited to the winter months only, I'd have to agree with you completely!
That was also during what is called the "mini-ice age". I'm pretty sure he meant water that was outside temp not heated on a stove. The Historian in me.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That was also during what is called the "mini-ice age". I'm pretty sure he meant water that was outside temp not heated on a stove. The Historian in me.
You know how we are here at B&B, nothing is good enough at face value, we HAVE to go to extremes.
I don't know if this place makes people like that, or if this place attracts people like that - but it is what it is!
If you say cold water shaving, there's a dozen guys dipping their heads in ice water.
If you say hot water shaving, you have a dozen guys at the burn unit from scalding themselves.
:lol1:

You know how we are here at B&B, nothing is good enough at face value, we HAVE to go to extremes.
I don't know if this place makes people like that, or if this place attracts people like that - but it is what it is!
If you say cold water shaving, there's a dozen guys dipping their heads in ice water.
If you say hot water shaving, you have a dozen guys at the burn unit from scalding themselves.
Just because I run my cold water (exactly 38.7deg f, no more, no less) through hermiker diamonds...only after running through a 5 stage RO/DI filtration unit, of course (goes without saying)...doesn't mean I'm taking anything to an extreme! ;)

I was one of those guys 'till to burns healed! :)

The video was posted on You Tube on Feb. 26th by GeoFatboy of Shave Nation. The suggested technique came from an email from one of Geo's You Tube fans. Geo tried it on the video and seemed to like it.

Considering that Ben Franklin lived in a pre-refrigerated world, I'm guessing "cold" was whatever the temp of the local water source was at that particular time of day or the pitcher that's been on the table all night.

I enjoy a full on luxurious shave, but most days I only use hot water in a mug for heating up the synthetic brush. Everything else is from a gallon I filled (filtered), and set aside the night before. It works great for me. Makes me smile. Do what makes you smile.

I saw that video and tried it vs the hot water rinse on alternate days. Didn't notice any real difference. In fact; I nicked myself with the cold water because I was concentrating on that rather than my relatively new safety razor technique. *DOH!!*

I bathe and shave (nice title for a tune) in the lake when I'm in Vermont. That water can get pretty cold in Spring and Fall. It's worked fine with my cartridge razor, over the years. But now that I'm using a safety razor; I think I'll take a pass.

Top Bottom