What's new

Thinking hard about a Henson AL13

I'm thinking hard about pulling the trigger on a Henson AL13. My current favorite razor is a pre-war Gillette Tech. It's a great razor, but something about that Henson is calling me. I would guess that 80% of the opinions that I have read have been positive and the other 20% have not been negative, but have been that it's nothing more special than a more traditional safety razor.

Pros:
  • Supposedly very easy to use and super smooth (and mild and smooth is more my jam as opposed to aggressive)
  • Should last forever
  • Cool new tech
  • 100 day trial period with a full refund guarantee
Cons
  • Cool new tech (I know that I listed this twice, but there's something nostalgic about using a pre-war Tech that you don't have with modern tech)
  • $70 vs. the $12 that I spent on my Gillette Tech
  • It "feels" a little like going back to a cartridge and there's an element of pride in using an old school safety razor.
If you want to chime in. I won't ask for your opinion because I've read so many opinions already on here that there's not much to add, and I know that I am just rehashing an old topic. But it helps me to process out loud. :)

mikhou

I'm thinking hard about pulling the trigger on a Henson AL13. My current favorite razor is a pre-war Gillette Tech. It's a great razor, but something about that Henson is calling me. I would guess that 80% of the opinions that I have read have been positive and the other 20% have not been negative, but have been that it's nothing more special than a more traditional safety razor.

Pros:
  • Supposedly very easy to use and super smooth (and mild and smooth is more my jam as opposed to aggressive)
  • Should last forever
  • Cool new tech
Cons
  • Cool new tech (I know that I listed this twice, but there's something nostalgic about using a pre-war Tech that you don't have with modern tech)
  • It "feels" a little like going back to a cartridge and there's an element of pride in using an old school safety razor.
If you want to chime in. I won't ask for your opinion because I've read so many opinions already on here that there's not much to add, and I know that I am just rehashing an old topic. But it helps me to process out loud. :)

mikhou
Part of this great adventure is the passion that we have for our equipment. Some won't understand why we get exciting about a particular type of razor, or debate soap ingredients, or try a thousand different blades! But that's ok, @mikhou, we understand the "call of the razor"!

A Fatip Slant was calling to me, so now I'm a very happy owner of a new Fatip razor!

$70 is not a lot of money for a razor that will last you a lifetime. Now, $700 might be a bit pricey (but I would, at that price, expect shipping to be included; and maybe a pack of blades, too)

Pros:
  • Should last forever
  • Cool new tech
Cons

mikhou
The Henson mild was my daily driver for three months. If the Feather AS-D2 didn’t “call me” the Henson would still be my primary.

I am new to this, but it seems to me that the Henson and some of the other very cool newer tech razors (Leaf, Twig, and Maxwell June come to mind) are designed more to attract the cartridge razor user. The Henson seems to be a pretty cool option, but my vote for coolness would be the Maxwell June.

I can't justify paying more than about $40 USD for a razor so I will carry on with less expensive options.

Last edited:
Cons
Do you mean it feels like a cartridge in that it’s not a vintage razor like your pre-war Tech? Or that using it will feel similar to using a cartridge? While the former may be true, I can tell you that the latter most certainly is not. I’ve only ever used cartridges and the Henson, and they’re as different as night and day. Carts are light and feel like you’re rubbing plastic over your face. The Henson is heavier (though no doubt lighter than your Tech) and takes some skill to use (though if you’ve been using other safety razors for awhile, you’ll be fine).

Iridian

Cool and slimy
It's a very good razor giving a good shave, smooth as well.
I still just don't like the Henson design. It is a guaranteed, safe and comfortable very good shave.

Everything interesting in a text begins after a BUT, right...? But it is like riding a Harley with training wheels, speed limiter and automatic cruise control.

You cannot deviate from the fixed angle much.
If this doesn't give you a perfect shave, you can try new blades and all that, but it might not be enough.

It is a better razor than the rather common Rockwell 6S IMO, I would rather recommend the MEDIUM Henson if you get one, it is still mild enough.

Thanks for all of your input. You’ve given me much to think about and I’m leaning toward making the purchase. The Winning Razor looks nice, too. I’ll need to read the comparison on Sharpologist again before making a decision.

I like mine, but it was an odd feeling finally getting the right angle with it because it's not like a traditional DE or vintage Gillette.

Top Bottom